Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Sanskrit 3A06

I recently took this course as an elective (Winter 2014) as a change from my type of electives. I went into the class no prior knowledge of the language or the Hindi language. The class was roughly 50 people and mostly comprised of students with a Hindi background. Both the Hindi language and Sanskrit are similar so can it advantageous for those with a Hindi background. However, the prof explained that this would only be benefitical during the first couple of week as the grammar of the two languages changes after that point. In this class, we mainly focused on learning the Sanskrit grammar with much less emphasis placed on speaking the language. Lectures were 2 hours and occurred on Tuesdays and Thursdays, however, the prof would provide the students with a 15 min break during the halfway point. It was vital to attend lectures as it was difficult learning from the book plus the prof explains the grammar very well. In terms of how one is evaluated, it was broken up into 5 quizzes at 10% throughout the term (3 in first term, 2 in the second term), 10% particapation (but you basically just email the prof with reasons why you deserve a certain mark), 20% translation assignments (one per term at 10% each and done in groups of 3-4), and finally a 20% final exam. Overall, this class was a breeze and was not hard to get a 12 in, the quizzes and exam are very easy if you attend class and do the practice tests the prof posts on Avenue to Learn. I highly recommend this class to upper year students who are looking for an easier and interesting elective to balance with a heavy workload.

raganyap, SaugaCity all say thanks to Swampis for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Sanskrit 3A06!

Old 06-03-2014 at 05:12 PM   #3
raganyap

Liked: 0 Times
How did you find the readings? Did it take up a lot of time?
Old 06-03-2014 at 08:18 PM   #4
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganyap View Post
How did you find the readings? Did it take up a lot of time?
You don't have to do the readings, I didn't bother doing them since I understood the material, and going to class and doing the practice quizzes he posts is sufficient to do well. That's what I did and I got a 12 easily.

SaugaCity says thanks to Swampis for this post.

Old 06-03-2014 at 09:11 PM   #5
raganyap

thanks for the review, i've been looking everywhere for one!
Old 06-09-2014 at 12:22 PM   #6
heewoni

Did you have LaRose as a prof by any chance?
Old 06-15-2014 at 01:01 PM   #8
SaugaCity

Anymore reviews on this course?
Old 06-08-2015 at 09:39 AM   #9
sbajaj28

Liked: 2 Times
Can anyone provide an updated review on this course?
Old 03-11-2016 at 07:54 PM   #10
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times
Is it true that you may not get a 12 even if your final mark is above 90%?
Old 03-11-2016 at 10:33 PM   #11
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Is it true that you may not get a 12 even if your final mark is above 90%?
Says who? I'm in the course right now and Larose is willing to give students with a 89% a 12
Old 03-12-2016 at 01:32 PM   #12
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsingh View Post
Says who? I'm in the course right now and Larose is willing to give students with a 89% a 12
Oh, I heard from a student in the class and someone else that it's difficult to get 12s even if you do well (probably because most people in the class are already above 90%). Not sure if it's true or not.
Old 03-12-2016 at 05:55 PM   #13
bobsingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Oh, I heard from a student in the class and someone else that it's difficult to get 12s even if you do well (probably because most people in the class are already above 90%). Not sure if it's true or not.
The class is difficult to learn on your own. So many people don't come to class when Larose says to attend class and ask questions if you don't understand. He has office hours every single day (unless he has something come up) and he provides sufficient practice. The key is to attend class and practice to keep up with the content. It is not difficult at all, one of the easier courses I've taken and I put may be 30 minutes of work everyday to keep up with it. All my close friends in the class (which is 25 of the 60 people) are getting 96-99% so far and we'll all be going in with the possibility of not getting a 12 in the course if we score less than 60% on the final. Larose has been fair and awesome prof, he is not difficult and it is not that hard to get a 12 (as I mentioned above, he even will give students with a 89% a 12).
Old 04-16-2016 at 10:21 PM   #14
bobsingh

Took this course during the 2015-2016 Academic Year with Joe Larose. Awesome, awesome prof! He's so chill but so focused as well, it makes going to that 9:30 morning class much more enjoyable. Be aware, you DO NOT need any prior knowledge related to the Hindi language or be of Indian descent to do well. Joe starts this course with the fundamentals and the alphabet, so that everyone is on the same page. People who know the Hindi alphabet have an advantage for the first 2-3 weeks of the course but then its completely different. Coming to class is important, as he goes over the material thoroughly and the textbook can be difficult to follow if you fall behind. Also, you have to bring a notebook and pencil to class along with the textbook (no laptop or phones allowed out during class time) which makes you focus on the board at all times. We had class for 1.5 hours twice a week so it wasn't too bad. You have many, many chances to do well in this course as there are multiple assessments and opportunities to have marks replaced with other additional assessments. The breakdown was as follows:

20% Translation Assignments (2 per term, with the highest one counting each term and the final translation assignment in term 2 having the option to replace a quiz or first term exam mark)
10% Participation in class (which you assign yourself a grade at the end of the year)
40% (4 quizzes, 2 per term)
10% End of term 1 exam
20% Final Exam at the end of the year

Joe wants all his students to do well and he has office hours all the time! You need to put in a small amount of work to do well in his course, so putting aside 30 min-1 hour per day to keep up with the material and understand it can go a long way (especially since you're learning a language). As well, all assessments other than the first quiz is open book so you have access to ALL your resources! Overall, Joe has been amazing and without a doubt, he has allowed us all in the class to do well in a course we enjoyed! Definitely recommend taking as an elective, it'll be worth it!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search