Sanskrit 3A06 rkb12 Academics 2 06-10-2011 12:46 AM
Sanskrit 3A06 nikki12 Academics 4 06-19-2009 11:49 PM

Sanskrit!?

Old 06-03-2012 at 06:43 PM   #1
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Sanskrit!?
Can anyone comment on the difficulty, workload for this course?
I know nothing... about sanskrit, but I wanted to learn something completely new.

Thank you

Timmy! says thanks to kwyhan for this post.
Old 06-03-2012 at 07:31 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I knew someone who took it and, on the plus side, they said it was very easy and they learned a fair amount of basic Sanskrit grammar. On the minus side, the person was a prof and they could speak quite a few "Indo-Aryan" languages fluently before they went into the course.

In general, though, I'd think that Sanskrit would be easier for a native English speaker to learn than, say, Mandarin or Japanese. This is because Sanskrit is part of the same language family as English. However, it will probably be more difficult than an intro French course or an intro German course, just because we have familiarity with French and German words via English.

Old 06-03-2012 at 09:39 PM   #3
karna

Liked: 28 Times

This course is intro to sanskrit grammar. Initially you learn sanskrit alphabets and then you proceed to translation of the sentences. The course is extremely easy in terms of content and workload. Prof is also very helpful.

Here is the course breakdown

Term 1
Midterm 1: 10%
Midterm 2: 10%
Translation Assignment (best out of 2): 10%
Final 1:15%

Term 2
Midterm 3: 10%
Midterm 4: 10%
Translation Assignment (best out of 2): 10%
Final 2: 15%

and Participation: 10%

Most of the people I know got 11+. The class size was around 40. It is hard to learn the content from textbook so it is necessary to attend the class. I would give this course 9.5/10 and would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning sanskrit or looking for good elective.

Last edited by karna : 06-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.

kwyhan, ZSimon all say thanks to karna for this post.

kwyhan likes this.
Old 06-03-2012 at 09:52 PM   #4
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

So I can still do well even if I know nothing about Sanskrit? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012 at 09:57 PM   #5
Rhythm

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
So I can still do well even if I know nothing about Sanskrit? Thanks!
Definitely! We had a couple students who knew nothing about the language and ended up doing well. The prof is very very helpful!

kwyhan, ZSimon all say thanks to Rhythm for this post.
Old 06-03-2012 at 09:58 PM   #6
karna

yup there were many people in our class who had no sanskrit background and most of them did well.

kwyhan, ZSimon all say thanks to karna for this post.
Old 06-03-2012 at 10:39 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I was just about to make this thread asking the exact same question. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2012 at 10:49 PM   #8
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I'm interested in taking this course as well.
I learned Hindi a couple of years ago (I'm kinda rusty now) but I was just wondering, will knowing some Hindi help in this class?
Old 06-03-2012 at 10:58 PM   #9
karna

hindi is not necessary but there is 90 % similarity between hindi and sanskrit alphabets. so it can help but is not required.
Old 06-05-2012 at 09:34 PM   #10
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

I think that if you're just looking for an easy elective to take and don't have much interest in this field... this is definitely not the right course for you (Maybe take some second year Economics courses lol). It's hard to learn a new language as an adult if you're not committed to it. I learned Sanskrit before and knowing other Indo-Aryan languages is honestly not that much of a help... the vocabulary is quite different and the translations can be challenging.

Only really take the course if you're interested in learning the basics of the language and know that you'll be dedicated to it.
Old 06-05-2012 at 10:24 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I knew a blind dude (well almost blind) in my program who took it. He said it was really easy for him... but then again, he was an international student from India fluent in Hindi.
Old 06-05-2012 at 10:48 PM   #12
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

the prof for the course is amazing! he is really willing to accommodate for everyone. The workload is not too much. The course is definitely an enjoyable one regardless of the fact that you have ever taken hindi or sanskrit ever.