Atmosphere
80%80%80%
Service
70%70%70%
Overall Experience
80%80%80%
Average 78%
Sapporo

When I first moved to Hamilton, and was looking intently for a sushi place to feed my regular cravings for it, all I heard about was Sushi Star. However, it just turned out that the first time I decided to go out for sushi in Hamilton, it was at Sapporo. Having been to Sushi Star since, I have made it a point to never return and since, have turned many people on to the great experience of eating at Sapporo.

I have never been disappointed with the food at Sapporo. The sashimi (just raw fish, no bed of rice) has always been fresh and although the pieces are small sometimes, this really isn't a problem since the place is 'all you can eat'. One of my favourite things on the menu is the Sirloin Steak with Garlic. Another great find is the Crispy and Spicy rolls. They also make great sweet potato tempura and beef ribs. If you are a sashimi virgin, but would like to start with baby steps, I suggest the white tuna sashimi.

Prices are $13 for lunch (no sashimi) and $18 for dinner (with sashimi).

I have also heard many complaints about the service at Sushi Star and for this reason mainly, I find that Sapporo excels. It can get a little crazy on the weekends and the service can get a little bit worse at these times, but this is true of any restaurant. On a not-so-crazy night, the service is fabulous.

If you are a sushi fanatic like me, once you've tried Sapporo, you won't look back.

adrian says thanks to summer for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Sapporo!

Old 10-21-2008 at 05:15 PM   #2
hovaisnumba1
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1 Time
sounds good, could anyone post up the address? =P
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-23-2008 at 11:13 AM   #3
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 143 Times
Bashing
Ok, I may have to try Sapporo sometime. But why does Sushi Star need to be brought into this review? I ate there a couple of times and it was all ok. Their service was impecable. I heard too that they enforce the rule of paying for large leftovers but that's only fair...

Now I have to go to Sapporo and see what the fuss is all about
Cheers,
Adrian
Old 10-23-2008 at 02:08 PM   #4
summer
Program: Biology
Year: Other

Haha, sorry adrian, I didn't want to make it seem like I was bashing Sushi Star. I jsut feel that people don't know about Sapporo because Sushi Star has been around longer and they tend to try that first. And I've heard quite a few complaints about SS, so I guess it was more of a response to that.

Old 11-05-2008 at 12:43 AM   #5
jtran89
Program: Economics
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
I have tried Sapporo twice, I must say that it does lack quality maki (sushi rolls) in comparison to Sushi Star. It really depends what you want, sometimes sushi stars service isn't all that great but that doesn't mean they don't make great sushi! As for the sashimi its quite fresh. Other then the two main sushi joints. The remaining ones are Hoya and August 8. In my opinion August 8 is by far the worst of them all. Although it is a nice looking establishment, the sushi isnt all that great. Hoya I have never tried myself because you have to make reservations, but I have heard Stevel Segal ate there and thats a good enough reason for me to check it!
Old 11-10-2008 at 10:29 AM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
So where is this place?
Old 11-10-2008 at 05:08 PM   #7
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
So where is this place?
Hey guys, here's the place:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...,0.027637&z=15

God, there's other sites than macinsiders you know
Old 11-22-2008 at 07:39 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member
Year: Alumni
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Good food and good service
Old 11-22-2008 at 08:20 PM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
God, there's other sites than macinsiders you know
Must you fill this forum with LIES?
Old 11-30-2008 at 10:16 PM   #10
opensky
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: Off-Campus

Liked: 2 Times
I went to the Sapporo for the first time this weekend, and it was pretty good. I liked how they had pictures of all the sashimi and sushi on their menu so you didn't have to ask what was in a rainbow roll and all that. The food was tasty, they had a good selection of sashimi, maki, and handrolls. It wasn't extensive, but it was adequate. There's also two pages of other items: stuff from the grill, a lot of deep fried stuff, as well as udon, noodles, and rice dishes. Salad, soup, ice cream, and drinks wrap up the menu.

I guess they've raised their prices since the first review by summer in June because it's $19 for dinner now, plus an additional $2 on weekends and holidays. So it was $21 per person, which is only a little more than the places I'm used to going to.

The food arrived pretty quickly and the waiter was really good with both ordering and clearing away the empty plates, even if he was a little strange. And the place was pretty authentic. I think it was run by Chinese people, cause the hostess and waiter would respond to me in Chinese, even though I spoke to them in English. The only thing I didn't like was the deep fried banana I ordered off the dessert section. It was really burnt and gross.

Overall, it was a good experience and good food; I would go again.

Sapporo is on Main St. E. near John, so you would just have to take a bus downtown that goes along Main and get off at John, and it's in the plaza that's on the SE corner. Phone number is (905) 527-1668.
Old 12-01-2008 at 09:53 PM   #11
FlyGuy
Program: Philosophy
Year: Second
Residence: McKay 07-08

Matsu
Matsu Sushi in Dundas is also really good
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:38 PM   #12
Meejo
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

I can pretty much say that this is the best Japanese buffet in Hamilton. The service is usually very friendly, and it gets better after you become a regular. I agree that some of the portions are a little small sometimes, but that really doesn't make a difference at buffets.

Just a hint: make sure you keep a constant flow of food. Don't let your body realize it's full or you won't eat an optimum amount of food. Or just eat until you're comfortably full (like a wuss). =P
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:59 PM   #13
Jivraj
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth
Residence: Whidden

well having been to both sapporo and sushi star for the last two years in hamilton, I have to say they are both ok, sapporo being better than sushi star. But for real great sushi, try August 8, it opened last year. Now its the only sushi place i go to in hamilton. So much better than the rest. Its got a great atmosphere and is very large too. Service is great and the sushi is very fresh. Its just north of jackson square so u can get to it by bus + short walk.
http://www.restaurantica.com /on/ha...st-8/23415391/

Edit: forgot to mention that the place is all you can eat sushi and dim sum. so extra points for that!

Last edited by Jivraj : 07-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:56 AM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Year: Alumni

Liked: 598 Times
Sapporo is an awesome restaurant, and is the site of my semi-regular sushi outings every few months with my friends.

I haven't found any better place yet.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:15 PM   #15
vivian.sand

Any of you guys tried Sushi Star by any chance? I think it tastes better than Sapporo.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search