Recycling Bins Pay919 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 09-13-2010 02:19 PM
recycling bins... davey General Discussion 15 12-11-2008 11:29 PM

Scatter Plot with Bins on Excel?

Old 02-16-2011 at 08:58 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Scatter Plot with Bins on Excel?
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'm trying to make a Scatter (XY) Plot with Bins (my TA basically asked for it).

I'm not having much luck. X and Y must both be variables of my data (not y=frequency like when you make a histogram). I've also tried making a line graph, removing the connections and using multiple series for bins with more than one value. Problem with that is I can't get a proper R^2 value with that, since it will only use a single series for the calculation.

So, I basically need to make a nice scatter plot with bins, instead of a continuous axis, and be able to have a valid R^2 that encompasses all values in the plot

So, can anyone help me out? Google's no help, I'm starting to doubt if this sort of is even possible, lol.

Oh, I also have MiniTab 14 if that works better/is easier to use for this. I'm worse with it, though, lol.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-16-2011 at 10:57 PM   #2
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'm trying to make a Scatter (XY) Plot with Bins (my TA basically asked for it).

I'm not having much luck. X and Y must both be variables of my data (not y=frequency like when you make a histogram). I've also tried making a line graph, removing the connections and using multiple series for bins with more than one value. Problem with that is I can't get a proper R^2 value with that, since it will only use a single series for the calculation.

So, I basically need to make a nice scatter plot with bins, instead of a continuous axis, and be able to have a valid R^2 that encompasses all values in the plot

So, can anyone help me out? Google's no help, I'm starting to doubt if this sort of is even possible, lol.

Oh, I also have MiniTab 14 if that works better/is easier to use for this. I'm worse with it, though, lol.

Thanks for your help.
I have no clue as to what you are asking.
From what I understand, make regular scatter plot with no connections, and add a secondary chart on the original with bins and viola?
Old 02-17-2011 at 04:54 AM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
try using minitab if youre allowed (i find it easier to do those things).... if u took stats, look at the back of the course ware and there instructions/examples on how to do various plots
Old 02-17-2011 at 05:46 AM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

To be more clear, I want a graph that looks like this:

But has an x-axis like this (words/ranges instead of numbers like above):

The default scatter on Excel just has numbers (not categories) and I have no idea how to change it (basically the numbers on are ticks, and each data point is graphed individually. I want each point within a certain range (ex: 55-60) to have the same x value)

I've also checked my Stats notes, but I can't find anything all that useful. :c

...TAs. seriously.
Old 02-17-2011 at 09:44 AM   #5
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
To be more clear, I want a graph that looks like this:

But has an x-axis like this (words/ranges instead of numbers like above):

The default scatter on Excel just has numbers (not categories) and I have no idea how to change it (basically the numbers on are ticks, and each data point is graphed individually. I want each point within a certain range (ex: 55-60) to have the same x value)

I've also checked my Stats notes, but I can't find anything all that useful. :c

...TAs. seriously.
I tried looking for a way to make your scatter first, then changes axes title, but I have no interest in learning how to mac Macros in excel. Your best bet is probably to edit your x values to months/whatever time period by find+replace, and graph your data vs your bin.