scholarships jaason87 Financial Aid 13 07-12-2010 01:31 AM
Scholarships MrSmith Financial Aid 18 06-24-2010 09:07 PM
Scholarships? VoyozooT Financial Aid 11 05-28-2010 06:39 PM

ScholarShips

Old 07-02-2008 at 11:03 PM   #1
mmal

Liked: 0 Times

ScholarShips
Hi, I was wondering when we find out about how much scholarship money we recieve? My average is 81.5%(final) and so far I have heard nothing. My average at mid-term was higher(around I believe 83).

Also on a side note i just had a question about books. Where do i buy them from(i mean where can i buy them from before the school year begins)?

As you can probably tell i am going to be a first year student(engineering).
Thanks in advance for help and i will probably meet some of the students on here next year, so until then have a good summer.
Old 07-03-2008 at 09:42 AM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey hasseb,

According to the mcmaster enterance scholorship information (here): with a 81% average you will get $750 this year and can be renewed again for your second year as long as you meet the terms and conditions.
"McMaster's Entrance Awards are renewable in the second year of University study provided students remain full-time and achieve a 9.5 (approximately 80%) sessional average."

You can find out if you got hte scholorship on MUGSI (it really has all your information and everything if you ever need anything). You can enter in MUGSI >> Financial and Scholorships (right column)>> Scholorships and Awards (left column). It should indicated if you are either pending for it or is approved. if it is approved, another place it will indicate is your payment agreement. Under the section where you can select payment alternatives, like osap, there is also "McMaster Scholorships" and it will be indicated there for you to deduct from your tuition .

Books are usually recommended to be purchased after your first day of class. that way the prof can tell you if you really need to buy it and their suggestions. The booklist this year will be out on Aug 11th. Here is the mcmaster bookstore site. You can either buy the new editions there at the bookstore, or you can try getting them used there's lots of articles on books and where to buy on macinsiders.

Past articles:
Where to buy my books?
Buying your textbook
Saving money with used books

For incoming first year students, if you want to learn more about the McMaster Titles bookstore, how to buy textbooks, where, and many more, please check this website.

mmal says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-03-2008 at 12:08 PM   #3
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

If you're in engineering wait until you get to class. Last year the engineering society ran a book swap to buy used books. It had a good turnout and I'm hoping they run it again this year. There was a lot of first year textbooks available there
Old 07-03-2008 at 07:18 PM   #4
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I'm a life sci student

I've checked MUGSI and it says:
No Award information found.

However, I know i should be receiving at least $750.

=S
Old 07-03-2008 at 09:57 PM   #5
mmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
I'm a life sci student

I've checked MUGSI and it says:
No Award information found.

However, I know i should be receiving at least $750.

=S

I have the same problem.
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:24 PM   #6
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Hey Harlequin90 and haseeb,

Has OUAC received your final high school marks yet? Once they have, it might take a while for the school to process everything and hand out scholarships.

Actually, I was looking through the financial aid & scholarships page on MUGSI and found that the scholarship I got for my high school marks was paid to my student account on July 20, 2007, so it'll probably show up in the next few weeks.

mmal says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:28 PM   #7
mmal

I just got my report card today so i guess this will take some time. Also thanks for the replies.
Old 07-04-2008 at 03:09 PM   #8
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

yeah. its still early. takes some time for all the information to get to the right place. no worries, if you have the marks, they will give it to you. if they don't, you can always go call them up and ask till they do! tho i don't think that's the best situation.

i checked when i got my first year one. july 18th. so yeah. i'm sure just wait a couple of weeks! good luck!