MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
summer school and second year MeenaM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-12-2013 09:53 PM
First Year Off Campus Soc Sci! BPrentice Introduce Yourself 11 09-06-2012 10:01 PM
Can I take another year of school if I wanted? pogy Academics 3 03-07-2011 05:12 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

School and Having A Job On Campus? : First Year Help

Old 08-06-2014 at 01:48 PM   #1
nJagdev25

Liked: 0 Times

School and Having A Job On Campus? : First Year Help
What are the chances of getting a job on campus or close to McMaster during school for first year students? Although I want to focus on doing well in school, I still want that extra cash and save up for future school expenses. Would it be a good idea or should I just experience first year and then see how well I can balance out my school life with my work life? What are your thoughts?

?
Old 08-06-2014 at 02:02 PM   #2
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nJagdev25 View Post
What are the chances of getting a job on campus or close to McMaster during school for first year students? Although I want to focus on doing well in school, I still want that extra cash and save up for future school expenses. Would it be a good idea or should I just experience first year and then see how well I can balance out my school life with my work life? What are your thoughts?

?
I have had a job since my first year and it's been the best thing to happen to me. Of course, this is not the case with everyone. And mind you, the jobs I have had were desk jobs.

If you are in first year, I think your best option is to hold out till 2nd year and get a job.

But starting January 2015, you should looking at summer student jobs to hopefully get some real world work experience.
Old 08-06-2014 at 05:07 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Your chances of getting a job depend on your relevant experience, the type of job you are looking for, your resume and how you interview, how strong your references are, etc. If you're looking on campus, your level of financial need also matters.
I don't understand what you expect people to tell you or what type of answer you're looking for when you say "what are my chances in getting a job as a first-year student". If you want something useful, you should be more specific and not start off with "what are my chances".

Whether or not it's a good idea to try to find a job is another thing entirely. It also depends on the person - for one first-year student it might be a great idea, and for another it might be an awful one. Some people manage the work just fine (and there are PLENTY of people who are able to work while in university full-time), and others really don't have good time-management skills. So, if you don't really need the money and/or are worried about whether or not you'll be able to handle it, then maybe just wait and see how things go in first term. If you have good time management skills and you're feeling fairly confident, or if you really need the money, then go for it.