MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overly Attached Girlfriend Vessi General Discussion 12 06-11-2012 01:48 PM
Getting my Girlfriend a Graduation Gift danallan Dating & Relationships 19 05-25-2010 10:01 AM
Ryan needs a girlfriend.. FAST! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 16 03-25-2010 01:57 AM
Finding a Girlfriend ... Rossclot Dating & Relationships 150 02-03-2010 01:34 PM

School + Girlfriend?

Members have rated post #365171 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 07-03-2013 at 12:09 AM   #46
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I think Engineering is probably the hardest program to take out of any other program, partying and engineering definitely don't mix...
You know how many party animals and stoners from engineering I see every day? You will be surprised how many of them make it to graduation.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 07-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 07-03-2013 at 08:56 AM   #47
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
Don't discredit this thread just because of that. You look really old so obviously have experience. This is a good example of the need to obtain this skill and thus have relationship while in school to gain partially.
I agree with you on those points.

As others have said, it really boils down to you and what you really want. Once you have determined that, just prioritize accordingly and stick to it. If you do get a girlfriend, make sure they are understanding to your academic goals and can work with them.
Old 07-03-2013 at 11:05 AM   #48
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Relationship now is good. You say that its hard balancing school and girlfriend. How then, will you learn to balance school with work once you finish school and started working? Prioritization is a crucial skill that need learn early.
If you are balancing school and work once school is finished... you may have failed to graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
This whole thread makes me laugh. I'm married, have a two year old, run a business, and maintain a full course load (with mostly 12s). Yes, you can have relationships while in school and still get stellar grades. And YES it takes work.
You arent kidding any of us

Quote:
I think Engineering is probably the hardest program to take out of any other program, partying and engineering definitely don't mix...
Partying and engineering dont mix? That is why you are a prospective commerce student
Old 07-03-2013 at 02:47 PM   #49
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Don't discredit this thread just because of that. You look really old so obviously have experience. This is a good example of the need to obtain this skill and thus have relationship while in school to gain partially.
Yep, really old - all of twenty five - I guess I should be using a walker to get to class!

Old 07-03-2013 at 11:42 PM   #50
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post

Partying and engineering dont mix? That is why you are a prospective commerce student
Exactly, I actually wanted to accept engineering but picked commerce over Engineering because I wanted to enjoy the "chill" live style of business students and the graduates seem to have good job prospects. Wish I didn't take all sciences in grade 12 though :/
Old 07-04-2013 at 07:31 AM   #51
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Exactly, I actually wanted to accept engineering but picked commerce over Engineering because I wanted to enjoy the "chill" live style of business students and the graduates seem to have good job prospects. Wish I didn't take all sciences in grade 12 though :/
You clearly do not have any idea of university at all. The "chill" life style can be chosen by you regardless of what program you're in.

amyarthur likes this.
Old 07-04-2013 at 07:38 AM   #52
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
smh... you clearly have no idea what the engineering faculty is like...
Old 07-05-2013 at 11:05 AM   #53
BamPow

Liked: 1 Time

.-.
Time management is key...I mean I'm in a relationship. If you're serious about each other then both you and your lover have to be understanding if one of them is too busy studying or working.
You can't really "balance." Obviously you need to put more time into your studies but don't completely ignore your girlfriend or boyfriend.

Last edited by BamPow : 07-05-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2013 at 01:54 PM   #54
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

what the hell?

if you can only balance one thing in your life at once then consider yourself unsuccessful

also, if you think your ganna be 'partying' and thats okay but having a gf isnt then your just completely oblivious and probably never took part in either one

get a grip... this thread just made me facepalm
Old 07-05-2013 at 05:33 PM   #55
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitnikovi View Post
what the hell?

if you can only balance one thing in your life at once then consider yourself unsuccessful

also, if you think your ganna be 'partying' and thats okay but having a gf isnt then your just completely oblivious and probably never took part in either one

get a grip... this thread just made me facepalm
So by your logic, I guess clowns are probably the most successful at life. They can balance like...three, four, five things at once.

allanandthera, amyarthur like this.
Old 07-05-2013 at 07:31 PM   #56
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by anonanon987.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 07-06-2013 at 10:01 AM   #57
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

But no one has disagreed that Engineering is more intense than say Humanities or Commerce for example, nor did anyone disagree with having a relationship causing a toll in your education. Can anyone dare say that you can get a 12 in Engineering without focusing from day 1, I'm pretty sure work habits from highschool is similar to that in university. The more you study, the better prepared you will be which equates to a higher performance. My classmates in school who no life and stayed home all day are going to Berkeley and other American schools. I don't think a relationship can help anyone in getting better grades. Like I said, not having a relationship doesn't mean having no social life, no one has proved what I said wrong, only dismissive comments and words coming from some people who seem to have severe superiority complex.

I do not need to be in University yet, to understand that good work habits are important. It is like getting hit by a car, I don't need to be hit by a car to know I will get in trouble. Similarly, my posts are made in context, in CONTEXT of what the OP said, he is correct: School+Girlfriend= a detrimental impact on your grades.
Old 07-06-2013 at 10:42 AM   #58
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
I do not need to be in University yet, to understand that good work habits are important. It is like getting hit by a car, I don't need to be hit by a car to know I will get in trouble. Similarly, my posts are made in context, in CONTEXT of what the OP said, he is correct: School+Girlfriend= a detrimental impact on your grades.
What exactly do you think of, when thinking of having a girlfriend?

Like I'm trying to understand what a relationship that takes more than 2 hours of your life a day is not enough looks like.
Old 07-06-2013 at 11:35 AM   #59
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
But no one has disagreed that Engineering is more intense than say Humanities or Commerce for example, nor did anyone disagree with having a relationship causing a toll in your education. Can anyone dare say that you can get a 12 in Engineering without focusing from day 1, I'm pretty sure work habits from highschool is similar to that in university. The more you study, the better prepared you will be which equates to a higher performance. My classmates in school who no life and stayed home all day are going to Berkeley and other American schools. I don't think a relationship can help anyone in getting better grades. Like I said, not having a relationship doesn't mean having no social life, no one has proved what I said wrong, only dismissive comments and words coming from some people who seem to have severe superiority complex.

There are a few things wrong with this post. Where do I start? Ah, I know.
  • I have a few friends in Software Engineering who have 12.0 averages who play video games on a daily basis. That time, alternatively could've been used with a girlfriend, if they were capable of getting one. People need a source of relieving their stress. For a few of my friends, their getaway is gaming. For several others, it could be their significant other. It's that simple. No lifing your education is very unhealthy, and sure it may produce the right results in the short term, but it can have long term impacts on your health and your social life. I'll leave that decision up to you. But, eh.
  • Some people need to no life their education to get into top schools. Alternatively, you have a class of people who study smart. They don't need to put in 12 hours a day from day one to get that 12.0 average. They know when to study, what to study and how to study it efficiently. A large part about university is about understanding what learning style works best for you. For some it could take a day, a month, a year and for some they won't know since they only go with the brute force method which is just continually studying. Several people do no need to attend certain classes and can still without a sweat attain a 12.0 mark in that class. Again. It goes back to how you analyze what is needed to do well for the course, and your plan of action. But, you would need to be in university to understand that. There is always more than one perspective on any given matter. Fortunately, or rather, unfortunately in your case you would need to attend university for sometime to gain that insight others on this board already have.
  • "The more you study, the better prepared you will be which equates to a higher performance." This is incorrect since this doesn't hold for all people. Not everyone needs to study on a continual basis to get higher performance. Some courses are extremely subjective. As an example, take an English course. Sure, you can "study" all you want. You can read all the books you want, and write practice essays and sit down with your T.A. (teaching assistant if you don't know) and get their feedback, sure. That doesn't mean when it comes down to the actual assignment you will get a better mark than before. It isn't guaranteed. It cannot be guaranteed.
  • For your information by the way, another friend of mine is in Chemical Engineering, and he's just one of the many students at McMaster University in the Faculty of Engineering, in an actual Engineering program with a girlfriend. He's been in a steady & healthy relationship with her for over 3 years now. They both have similar mindsets when it comes to academia and their long term plans so they can work with one another. If you can find someone who can respect your academic and/or long term plans then a relationship can be a healthy thing for you.
You, frankly, have a lot to learn. I really admire your enthusiasm and how eager you seem in your posts but the method of delivery is lacking. Wait until university starts for you, and just see how things unroll. Perhaps, after four years from now if you decide to stick with your current mentality you'll see what you've gained and what you've loss. Just remember though. Don't regret it then, since you already made the choice without gaining any university experience.

BamPow says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

ashleighp, BamPow, Khan786, sm18 like this.
Old 07-06-2013 at 12:36 PM   #60
Criptic

Liked: 0 Times

It honestly comes down to a matter of both time management and what you want as a person. Personally, I find it doable to balance a relationship with my school life. This isn't the case for everyone though. If you're one of those people who get to your residence/home after school and become absolutely unproductive afterwards, I don't think you're suit for having a girlfriend while you're in school. If you know how to set up your daily routine such that you can do all your necessary work, have some time to relax, and fit your relationship into the equation - you're set. In the end, it all comes down to you and your behaviors.