MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prof closing discussion board sycoman Academics 53 04-25-2010 03:50 PM
is there a message board for u of t? macculkin Computers & Tech 6 02-22-2010 03:55 PM
MacInsiders TV: We speak with your incoming Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 07-24-2008 01:36 PM
New MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-16-2007 10:40 AM
Mac Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2007 06:19 PM

Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed

Old 12-13-2009 at 08:17 PM   #1
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed
Does any one know whats happening in the big questions course. I know a ton of people were complaining about the poster/presentation marks being unfair and I also heard that the SRA was getting involved. I just looked on elm and the discussion board for that course has magically disappeared. Whats happening, does anyone know?
Old 12-13-2009 at 08:23 PM   #2
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Hey,

i think it just might be cuz the course is done.

But yea also probably cuz it was being used to challenge the given marks
Oh well ... lets wait and see =)

Old 12-13-2009 at 08:39 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Oh no, what will you do Abhijeet :-)
Old 12-13-2009 at 08:41 PM   #4
manaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Oh no, what will you do Abhijeet :-)
LMAO!

I feel so deprived ! =(

I guess I shall keep breathing ... the sun will rise tomorrow ... who knows what the tides will bring in?

=)

Old 12-13-2009 at 09:15 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The Science 2B03 supreme overload Laura Parker recently posted this message:

Quote:
Science 2B03 Marking December 13, 2009 7:08 PM
Dear All,

It is clear from some of the message board discussions that some of you are displeased with your marks in some components of the course.

I would like to set the record straight on a few things:

- the course is being marked exactly as it has been in past years
- the average mark for the course heading into the exam is on par with previous years (~79%), and is much higher than the average in most courses on campus. So stfu.
- the TAs in this course meet regularly to discuss marking schemes and to ensure things are being uniformly applied
- each poster was marked by 2 markers (I was the second marker on just over 1/4 of them). You received a mark which was an average of the 2 markers.
- the poster mark distribution was the same in each tutorial section
- we have a head TA for this course who makes sure that the marking is being consistently applied across all tutorial sections
- the journals are being marked exactly the same as in previous years and being marked consistently between tutorial sections
- the marking scheme has been available all term. If there are things you don't understand it is up to you to ask for clarification. I have always been available to help.

The marking scheme is well-advertised and is fairly and consistently applied. If you wish to appeal your mark there are official channels to do this as outlined in the undergraduate calendar.

It has been such a pleasure teaching those of you who take a real interest in this material. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Laura Parker
Old 12-13-2009 at 09:18 PM   #6
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

"- the average mark for the course heading into the exam is on par with previous years (~79%), and is much higher than the average in most courses on campus. So stfu."

She actually wrote that? LOL

Old 12-13-2009 at 09:18 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
"- the average mark for the course heading into the exam is on par with previous years (~79%), and is much higher than the average in most courses on campus. So stfu."

Naw, I was just trollin' to see if you were all paying attention. lol

bigmac, Jake like this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 09:19 PM   #8
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Naw, I was just trollin' to see if you were all paying attention. lol
Haha :p

Old 12-13-2009 at 09:24 PM   #9
sycoman

the average mark for the course heading into the exam is on par with previous years (~79%), and is much higher than the average in most courses on campus. So stfu.

BAHAHHAHAHHAHAH...I LOL'ED
im guessing you added that?
Old 12-13-2009 at 11:14 PM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

lol she closed it cuz the course is over. it was fun though
Old 12-13-2009 at 11:32 PM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

What does she think will come out of the discussion board, a giant mob with torches? lol. Seriously though it was a good course.
Old 12-13-2009 at 11:41 PM   #12
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

lol i almost believed that XD ..n was shocked! true the course was fun but dere were too many concerns raised by the students..glad she addressed them in her announcement

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-14-2009 at 07:53 AM   #13
manaya

That was a bit of a masterstroke ... cuz thatz how students were communicating their 'grievances' ... shut down all communication and stomped the rebellion =P

Old 12-14-2009 at 12:04 PM   #14
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Agreed. I know many who emailed her about some issues and the prof was probably really annoyed with all the students reacting this way. I thought she would do something to fix it. However looking at the discussion board being taken off, implied something different. The only good thing is that at least she had an announcement out in the evening conveying her own feelings on the issue and we are not left with unanswered questions. Let's see what SRA (that's what I think was abt to look into the issue..?) does to help.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-14-2009 at 05:17 PM   #15
sycoman

i dont think the SRA will be able to do anything. Marking the presentation and posters hard isnt a crime. She wanted to lower the class average and thats understandable, she cant just hand out 12's to everyone, we arent in highschool anymore.