MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Undercovers is Closing... Claim Your Books nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 12 04-20-2010 10:13 PM
Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed sycoman Academics 52 12-18-2009 02:47 AM
SOLAR Closing Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-14-2008 08:07 AM
MSU Maroons Closing Ceremonies Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-18-2008 08:39 AM
SOLAR closing till Aug 7th Chad Academics 0 07-26-2007 05:56 PM

Prof closing discussion board

Old 04-16-2010 at 04:37 PM   #1
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Prof closing discussion board
Do you think the professor has the right to closing the down the discussion board for a course just becuase theyve made an unfair exam (in the students opinion atleast) and numerous people start posting to complain about it.

the prof for natural disasters just closed down the discussion board and I think its a little unfair of her. Is there anything that can be done?
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:41 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

There's always something to be done.

You can start by calling her an evil dictator and accuse her of infringing upon your intrinsic rights. ;D

Over-dramatizing things tends to work.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

adrian, Bobble, jo87, larp like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:41 PM   #3
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I think the prof is well within her right to close down the board. What is ranting about an exam going to accomplish anyway?

Profs probably get tired of hearing about how their exams are "unfair" because students were expecting a bird course and didn't study enough.

Old 04-16-2010 at 04:52 PM   #4
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
There's always something to be done.

You can start by calling her an evil dictator and accuse her of infringing upon your intrinsic rights. ;D

Over-dramatizing things tends to work.
LOL. You're such a drama queen. You have a right to freedom of speech.... but she has no obligation to provide a platform for it.

Melanieee, rlevitin like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 05:13 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
Do you think the professor has the right to closing the down the discussion board for a course just becuase theyve made an unfair exam (in the students opinion atleast) and numerous people start posting to complain about it.

the prof for natural disasters just closed down the discussion board and I think its a little unfair of her. Is there anything that can be done?

LoL classic case of a bird course turning out not to be easy and then students take to the message boards to complain. Didn't this happen with Origins class last semester and Gemstones? Seriously you're in university, just because you heard a class is easy doesn't mean it will be forever. Professors aren't idiots, if they keep hearing students take that class because its easy, what do you think they should do other than make it harder.

danallan, huzaifa47 like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 05:16 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
LOL. You're such a drama queen. You have a right to freedom of speech.... but she has no obligation to provide a platform for it.
I'm the furthest thing from a drama queen, lmao.

I never said I would do it, I'm just answering the question "is there something that can be done."

And let's be honest here, if the prof takes away the discussion board b/c a few people are complaining, then she's just as childish as they are. She doesn't have to read it. Let people complain. No harm no foul.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-16-2010 at 05:48 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Start a forum not run by mcmaster
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:49 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Natural Disasters is such a .. disaster, for lack of a better word. That class has been a mess for years.
I'm sure she has a right to close the discussion board - she can probably add or delete any of the features on ELM for the courses she teaches.

I wonder why she closed it though. If you guys took the exam, the class must be done. So I don't see what difference it would make to her.
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:53 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
LoL classic case of a bird course turning out not to be easy and then students take to the message boards to complain. Didn't this happen with Origins class last semester and Gemstones? Seriously you're in university, just because you heard a class is easy doesn't mean it will be forever. Professors aren't idiots, if they keep hearing students take that class because its easy, what do you think they should do other than make it harder.
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but it's somewhat relevant..

A few years ago, a friend of mine was in a bird Geography course (might have been Gemstones). The midterm was apparently ridiculously easy - it had a WORDSEARCH on it. After the midterm, some students went on the discussion board on WebCT and talked about how easy the test was.
The prof read the posts but didn't say anything. When final exam time came around, most people didn't study much because they thought it would be as easy as the midterm. But the prof made it waaaay harder, and a lot of people did poorly/failed.
(Then other students went on WebCT and yelled at the students who said the midterm was easy).
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:55 PM   #10
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

One time my Managerial Accounting prof closed the discussion board for the course because most of the students used it to have casual conversations with one another. When one student asked why no one was using the board for actual help, another student just said, "because the course is too easy."
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:59 PM   #11
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Natural Disasters is such a .. disaster, for lack of a better word. That class has been a mess for years.
I'm sure she has a right to close the discussion board - she can probably add or delete any of the features on ELM for the courses she teaches.

I wonder why she closed it though. If you guys took the exam, the class must be done. So I don't see what difference it would make to her.
Riller is the greatest natural disaster to ever appear in that course.

kanthamd, sf like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:16 PM   #12
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

The exam was definately challenging but i enjoyed it.
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:48 PM   #13
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

wow a wordsearch...i havent had one of those on a test...ever, not even in kindergarten
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:36 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
not even in kindergarten
Might have to do with the fact that you didn't have tests in kindergarten... or even work for that matter.
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:49 PM   #15
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i think you're talking about preschool. in kindergarten i remember learning subtraction and addition, imo that requires the same mental capacity as a word search, although less fun, making it SO much worse for university.