MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
student health insurance claim form question maryam17 Body & Food 1 09-03-2010 09:57 PM
Tax Returns: What all can we claim? huzaifa47 Financial Aid 4 05-10-2010 04:33 PM
Msu Health Insurance Claim Form? rrtt General Discussion 2 05-31-2009 07:52 AM
Can I sell a book to undercovers if I bought it from undercovers? HeatherH General Discussion 0 08-29-2008 04:41 PM
SOLAR Closing Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-14-2008 08:07 AM

MSU Undercovers is Closing... Claim Your Books

As of April 30th 2010, Undercovers will no longer operate as a service of the MSU. As such, Undercovers wll no longer be able to sell books on behalf of its contract holders, or sell the books it currently has.

Book / Item Consignment Returns:
Valid Consignment contract holders should fill out the form located here
, and inform Undercovers of what they would like to have done with their consignment items. Note: Contracts that have not been renewed for six months have expired, and are no longer valid.

Consignment Payouts:
Undercovers will continue to provide payouts to customers for their sold consignment items up to and including April 30th, 2010. Customers' books that have sold should have received an email from Undercovers informing them of this. After April 30th, Undercovers will no longer be able to issue consignment payouts.

Unclaimed Consignment Items and Consignment Sales:
After April 30th, 2010, any unclaimed items or consigment payout funds will become property of the MSU. You are encouraged to share this information with anyone you may know who frequents Undercovers. Students who are away from Hamilton are encouraged to contact Undercovers to make alternate arrangements.

We apologize for the invonvenience this may cause. For more information, please contact us at [email protected] ter.ca, or call the store during regular hours at 905-525-9140 x 21250.

temara.brown says thanks to nogood205 for this post.
Published by
McMaster Marching Band President

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:56 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
This is balls! I have TONS of books in that store and now have no way to pick them up.. of course I'm going to go get them but it makes it hugely complicated. Usually I just take a bus down to Hamilton if ever I go. Now I'm going to have to arrange a special trip before April 30th.. @$$.. This is a busy month too.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:19 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
This is balls! I have TONS of books in that store and now have no way to pick them up.. of course I'm going to go get them but it makes it hugely complicated. Usually I just take a bus down to Hamilton if ever I go. Now I'm going to have to arrange a special trip before April 30th.. @$$.. This is a busy month too.
Any way you can have someone else pick them up for you and keep them with them in Hamilton until you do make a trip in?

Also I lol'd at tell anyone you know who frequents Undercovers. I have yet to anyone in there let alone know someone who frequents it. Can't say I was shocked to hear they were going out of business.
Old 04-15-2010 at 10:55 PM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
At UWO the campus bookstore had a sell on consigment program, maybe something can be worked out here too. They have the space anyway.

Old 04-15-2010 at 11:34 PM   #5
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
anyone know why(I'm assuming they are losing money) they are closing, or is it just because it's a useful service, and we simply CANNOT have those here?

danallan likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 11:54 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization

Liked: 352 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Any way you can have someone else pick them up for you and keep them with them in Hamilton until you do make a trip in?

Also I lol'd at tell anyone you know who frequents Undercovers. I have yet to anyone in there let alone know someone who frequents it. Can't say I was shocked to hear they were going out of business.
Weird.. I remember typing a bit joking about getting people to frequent it and buy my books but it's gone.. spooky.. my internet has been weird lately.

There are seriously a lot of books. I think it was about three huge and heavy boxes. It was hard for me to even carry them from in front of the student centre down to the store so I wouldn't want to ask anyone to move them. The main problem is getting a vehicle to transport them from Hamilton to my house in Cambridge.

My speculation as to why it's gone under: low traffic and sales, low-ish commission on each book (only 20%), high staffing and rental costs, lots of competition (aka there are many other ways to dump your old books, some are more speedy and take no commission), and probably no signs of improvement. I've maybe got $100 out of the stuff at the store and I've had stuff in there since it's been open (at least it de-cluttered my shelves for awhile). This means that they've only really got $25 out of all the stuff I've had there.

I know at Ryerson, the students say their consignment bookstore is the only useful thing their students union does for them beyond those insurance plans so I find it funny how it really did not work here. Although, my friend also told me how there was a computer crash and they lost all records of sales and inventory so you pretty much lost what you had if you had anything in that store. It was the one thing they had going for them and they eff'd it up majorly.. fun times.
Old 04-16-2010 at 02:45 AM   #7
Nosh
Program: Kinesiology
Year: First

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
anyone know why(I'm assuming they are losing money) they are closing, or is it just because it's a useful service, and we simply CANNOT have those here?
Was not really seeing much traffic to say the least , it will be an online service now though .
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:08 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Year: Alumni

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Can't say I was shocked to hear they were going out of business.
They aren't going out of business, the business model is changing. They are going 100% online, and they won't be taking up space (ie paying rent) in the MUSC anymore. For the amount of money they make, this is a good move.
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:48 AM   #9
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 143 Times
Then what's the point, I can already sell books online through several alternatives. The whole reason for undercovers was so people didn't have to store the books themselves.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:32 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
They aren't going out of business, the business model is changing. They are going 100% online, and they won't be taking up space (ie paying rent) in the MUSC anymore. For the amount of money they make, this is a good move.
Does this mean the model is going to be similar to what Mary said in her platform? Or I think said in her platform....what we worked on and what made the public version is all mushed up together to me now...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-18-2010 at 02:21 PM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Does this mean the model is going to be similar to what Mary said in her platform? Or I think said in her platform....what we worked on and what made the public version is all mushed up together to me now...
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't remember all the details of Mary's platform.
Old 04-18-2010 at 02:22 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Then what's the point, I can already sell books online through several alternatives. The whole reason for undercovers was so people didn't have to store the books themselves.
As far as I can tell, the point was that Undercovers wasn't making enough money to justify taking up the space, however people didn't want to see it go, since it wasbeing used, even if it wasn't very heavy usage. The compromise was to put it online.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:13 PM   #13
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee
Program: Social Sciences

Liked: 97 Times
Titles has Extended Buyback Hours
If you are trying to avoid lugging all your books from Undercovers check to see if Titles is buying those textbooks back @ http://buyback.mcmaster.ca

There are extended hours at David Braley this week as well as the Hole in the Wall - http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/buybackhours.htm

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search