MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prof closing discussion board sycoman Academics 53 04-25-2010 03:50 PM
is there a message board for u of t? macculkin Computers & Tech 6 02-22-2010 03:55 PM
MacInsiders TV: We speak with your incoming Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 07-24-2008 01:36 PM
New MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-16-2007 10:40 AM
Mac Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2007 06:19 PM

Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed

Old 12-14-2009 at 08:08 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Hey guys; the discussion board for 2B03 appears to have rematerialized 0__o.
Old 12-14-2009 at 08:20 PM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
. Let's see what SRA (that's what I think was abt to look into the issue..?) does to help.
Hmm I'm confused as well, how exactly will the SRA help in this case?

The Instructor seems to have made it clear that the average at 79 is quite high(well much higher then most of my econ courses). There also is a system of two TA markers per assignment, a luxury even I don't have in my subjective Social Science essay courses.

I guessing the problem has to stem from the notion that 2B03 was taken as a "Bird"course, albeit a more interesting sounding bird course then natural disasters or water or rocks. Maybe that is the reason people are unsatisfied that they are only getting a 7/8? As Sycoman said not everyone can get 12's A class average means there are people above and below that average; sometimes I guess we have to accept that?

The tag of bird course is something no self respecting discipline likes upon itself, even though I'm not in science I would be sad if something as ambitious as the origins project at McMaster gets labelled as a bird course rather then a venue for people to discover things they don't normally do in their theoretical pursuit of Professional Schools. There was a time in late 19th/early 20th when classes like these would be today's version of healthsci: Exclusive and prestigious. I totally wanted to take this course too, but It was clashing with my required course.

I have also heard that Natural Disasters and Gemstones got harder this year, maybe they are trying to loose the tag as well?

Anyways getting back to the point, the SRA is somewhat ineffective in getting short term changes done, we tend to do long term issues; as frustrating at it is, that's how it has always been. We can email the prof for you but our word wouldn't hold anymore weightage then yours, because essentially we will be regurgitating what other unsatisfied students are saying.

If you still insist the best person to talk to about this is Chris Martin the Vp Education at [email protected]

He probably have enough influence to get some short term lobbying done.

p.s: Who is the SRA member getting involved?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-14-2009 at 08:25 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

lol, every course that gets labeled as a bird course suddenly has about a two year countdown until it becomes one of the hardest courses the school has to offer.

I've heard gemstones has become rape.

pinkshuniza likes this.
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:58 PM   #19
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

The discussion boards open once again but its locked so no one can reply or forward messages.

I dont understand why she would open the thing again?
Old 12-14-2009 at 10:10 PM   #20
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Could it be by any chance due to this thread?! :S

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-14-2009 at 10:43 PM   #21
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

I think Richard is the SRA rep that has taken interest since he is in the course as well.

Also ... yea its pointless why the forums r up again since they are locked anyways?

And I dont think macinsiders has anything to do with it

Old 12-14-2009 at 10:54 PM   #22
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I dropped gemstones because i realized it was totally different than what i was told. It got so bad on those discussion boards when I checked to see how the class was going. People don't like it when a bird course requires work lol i guess. I do Not recommend gemstones as a bird course! I read that the prof gave 25 min for one half of class to do a test and 25 for the other. Imagine the mess this creates when people are trying to get in and out of the classroom after the 25 min.
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:00 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
People don't like it when a bird course requires work lol i guess.
Well ya, people usually don't actually have time for them, but take them anyway as they aren't supposed to take a lot of time. I had 6 other courses along side 2B03, and I spent a lot more time doing stuff for that class than I would have liked.

I consider making a bird course difficult akin to trolling on the professional level. They should at least give some sign beforehand that the course isn't going to be easy anymore :p.
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:04 PM   #24
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well ya, people usually don't actually have time for them, but take them anyway as they aren't supposed to take a lot of time. I had 6 other courses along side 2B03, and I spent a lot more time doing stuff for that class than I would have liked.

I consider making a bird course difficult akin to trolling on the professional level. They should at least give some sign beforehand that the course isn't going to be easy anymore :p.

I know what you mean, but would you want to be the prof that teaches the bird course? I wouldn't, so I totally understand why they have made courses once easy more difficult.
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:07 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I know what you mean, but would you want to be the prof that teaches the bird course? I wouldn't, so I totally understand why they have made courses once easy more difficult.
Well ya, I guess that's true. That would suck to know that people are only taking your course because it's nub.

...but why couldn't they have realized that for 2B03 next year instead?! lol
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:12 PM   #26
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Well ya, I guess that's true. That would suck to know that people are only taking your course because it's nub.

lol, just feel special you were a part of this big change. And warn people for next year if you're really nice
Old 12-14-2009 at 11:22 PM   #27
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:

aaah exactly my question!! lol..but makes sense..noone wants to be the prof who teaches a bird course. It's still a mystery abt the discussion board though. And looks like the SRA can't do anything abt it either..so is it all over now? :(

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-15-2009 at 01:35 PM   #28
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

SRA won't do jack squat. They give false promises and false dreams and hopes. You really think they have the power to change the mcmaster 12 point GPA scale, and make mcmaster change Elm and do a complete overhaul of mugsi?

keep dreaming.
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:53 PM   #29
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

I don't understand all the fuss over the 2B03...I did minimum work for it, did the poster project last minute, only spent a couple days on my tutorial presentation (because I was busy focusing on my other courses) and aced it all. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't have any problems. Still though, I don't see how this course could've been any easier - this is still university.
Old 12-15-2009 at 02:02 PM   #30
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I don't understand all the fuss over the 2B03...I did minimum work for it, did the poster project last minute, only spent a couple days on my tutorial presentation (because I was busy focusing on my other courses) and aced it all. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't have any problems. Still though, I don't see how this course could've been any easier - this is still university.
I guess people have high expectations cuz its a 'bird course' ...

Well ...

Perhaps not anymore!