MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prof closing discussion board sycoman Academics 53 04-25-2010 03:50 PM
is there a message board for u of t? macculkin Computers & Tech 6 02-22-2010 03:55 PM
MacInsiders TV: We speak with your incoming Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 07-24-2008 01:36 PM
New MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-16-2007 10:40 AM
Mac Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2007 06:19 PM

Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed

Old 12-15-2009 at 02:16 PM   #31
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I don't understand all the fuss over the 2B03...I did minimum work for it, did the poster project last minute, only spent a couple days on my tutorial presentation (because I was busy focusing on my other courses) and aced it all. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't have any problems. Still though, I don't see how this course could've been any easier - this is still university.
I think it depends highly on your TA, if you were marked easy or hard on any of the course components. As far as I know the students from my tutorial were all marked really hard on both poster and the presentations. Most got marks in the range of 65-75%. Also though it was believed that it would be a "bird course" I did put efforts in it anyhow. The outcome doesn't look any rewarding whatsover. It probably just depends on your TA and you got really lucky if you did well on everything!

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-15-2009 at 03:18 PM   #32
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
I think it depends highly on your TA, if you were marked easy or hard on any of the course components. As far as I know the students from my tutorial were all marked really hard on both poster and the presentations. Most got marks in the range of 65-75%. Also though it was believed that it would be a "bird course" I did put efforts in it anyhow. The outcome doesn't look any rewarding whatsover. It probably just depends on your TA and you got really lucky if you did well on everything!
Hmm. Well I know my TA marked the tutorial presentations hard but because my group went first he said he would mark us easier because we had less than 2 weeks to prepare - it wasn't THAT much easier though, I still thought we should've got higher. For the poster, honestly, the information and everything was NO different than anyone else's, it was just how we presented it. So since the course was largely based on creativity, I spent less time on the content and more on the presentation which I think is where it hurt people the most.

Being a creative person by nature worked in my favour in the end I guess with a bit of added luck. lol

But ya, I'm sure it does depend on your TA even though Dr. Parker seems intent on insisting that they all mark perfectly the same. My TA mentioned he had a strict rubric to follow.
Old 12-15-2009 at 03:56 PM   #33
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

No Jaclyn Im sure ur poster and presentation was wonderful ... but yea the TAs were probably harsh with all of us. And there were some really amazing posters on display too!

So yea there was Im sure a bit of 'comparison' too ... if the poster wasn't AS elaborate.

Oh well ... what can ya do. Hopefully the exam will boost everyone up! =)

Old 12-15-2009 at 04:38 PM   #34
jachill
Vampire Slayer

lol Thanks manaya . Ya, holy crap some of the posters were really great. You're right about the exam. People that lost marks to creativity can make up for it on the exam which wasn't too bad at ALL.
Old 12-15-2009 at 04:47 PM   #35
Richa

Quote:

But ya, I'm sure it does depend on your TA even though Dr. Parker seems intent on insisting that they all mark perfectly the same. My TA mentioned he had a strict rubric to follow.
hmmm..i dunno..it depends on the TAs and the rubric both I guess. And it's nice if you did good on the course components the creativity part helped my presentation too..but random marks were lost in content...and yes the exam was good...so that should help everyone.

Richa Sud

Old 12-15-2009 at 07:06 PM   #36
manaya

Quote:
lol Thanks manaya

lol the name is Abhijeet =)

Abhi shall do for short ^_^

P.S - Im the weirdo who answered the questions on the discussion board =)

Old 12-15-2009 at 07:29 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
SRA won't do jack squat. They give false promises and false dreams and hopes. You really think they have the power to change the mcmaster 12 point GPA scale, and make mcmaster change Elm and do a complete overhaul of mugsi?

keep dreaming.
Wow...Harsh.

Though I do agree some of the campaign promises I've seen are misguided and not that easy to realize, you have to think about it from the perspective of the SRA member. Most of them don't know how gets stuff done and what the limits of the SRA are when they run; having said that its unfair to accuse everyone of the same thing.

I've said earlier on in the thread, that issues like these are unrealistic for the SRA to do anything even if they attempted. Heck, even the president can't do anything because the instructor has made it clear what her requirements were and how the class average is at a 79!

We can ONLY lobby if there is a breach of McMaster senate policies or faculty constitutions, if you can point out which policy the Professor was breaking in this instance I would myself be happy to take this issue on.

If I am to use an analogy here: We aren't godfathers who will get you what you want(11's and 12's when the course average is 79%), at best we can act like your legal counsel. But hypothetically a legal counsel is useless when there is NO law being broken.

As for the GPA system I called the member on a Insiders thread who had that as a part of his platform(Richard Cioci) during election, saying the 12 point system doesn't really have all that many faults with it and Mac is unlikely to change it anytime soon. His reply was that the presence of 12 point system on his posters implies that "He wants to raise awareness that the University Affairs committee of the SRA is looking into this issue".

As for Elm, what most people don't know is that ELM wasn't created by or had anything to do with UTS. UTS was supposed to make elm, but then they were unsure whether they can do it so the University gave the contract to an outside company. The outside company bailed close to the start of the school year and UTS had to step in and clean the mess up and actually learn how the outside company made the whole thing and troubleshoot. Can you please elaborate what the role of the SRA is in this instance?

Lastly, the MUGSI issue is something I had as a part of my platform since I had already been researching it over the summer and one thing I have been telling people over and over is that according to Registrars office it would cost us $20-25 Million to upgrade the hardware; hence with Mac facing a massive $60 mil budget deficiet that looks unrealisitic.
Hence I'm looking at a more realistic software upgrade approach to it and that would be part of a offiical Lobbying Policy. The Board of Directors then would take the policy and be bound to lobby the registrars office for implementing these changes. I can't just walk into the UTS office and demand changes, it all has to go through meticulous steps where I as an SRA member have limited autonomy.

The reason for this rant is that I humbly hope you understand the limits and role of the SRA members. I know people mislead constituents like you during elections to gain votes by making grandstanding claims and that is one of the reasons why the SRA faces so much criticisms, people are unclear as to what their role is! :(

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

manaya, Richa all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

RTinkess31 likes this.
Old 12-15-2009 at 07:45 PM   #38
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Quote:

Oh haha okay, Abhi. lol You were a helpful weirdo then. XD Every discussion board needs one. ^.^
Old 12-15-2009 at 08:32 PM   #39
manaya

Quote:
Oh haha okay, Abhi. lol You were a helpful weirdo then. XD Every discussion board needs one. ^.^
LOL

It was my pleasure ^_^

I kinda hate how this course is over ... =(

Old 12-15-2009 at 08:36 PM   #40
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Quote:
LOL

It was my pleasure ^_^

I kinda hate how this course is over ... =(
I know what you mean, not necassarily this course but Astronomy last year (funny it's pretty much the same content), when it was over, I was actually sad. I met soo many awesome people on the discussion board, and we're still friends and study buddies to this day.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:04 PM   #41
manaya

Origins was pretty much astronomy!

A bit of biology and modern physics.

But mostly astronomy and cosmology ... so yea ... pure epicness! =)

Old 12-15-2009 at 09:41 PM   #42
Richa

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post

I don't think there was any need to mention that..said that you are FAMOUS n all over the Sci2b03 discussion board :p lol

Richa Sud

Old 12-15-2009 at 10:05 PM   #43
manaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I don't think there was any need to mention that..said that you are FAMOUS n all over the Sci2b03 discussion board :p lol
LOL!

Friendly neighbourhood Sci 2B03 discussion board poster

Old 12-16-2009 at 12:37 PM   #44
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Wow...Harsh.

Though I do agree some of the campaign promises I've seen are misguided and not that easy to realize, you have to think about it from the perspective of the SRA member. Most of them don't know how gets stuff done and what the limits of the SRA are when they run; having said that its unfair to accuse everyone of the same thing.

I've said earlier on in the thread, that issues like these are unrealistic for the SRA to do anything even if they attempted. Heck, even the president can't do anything because the instructor has made it clear what her requirements were and how the class average is at a 79!

We can ONLY lobby if there is a breach of McMaster senate policies or faculty constitutions, if you can point out which policy the Professor was breaking in this instance I would myself be happy to take this issue on.

If I am to use an analogy here: We aren't godfathers who will get you what you want(11's and 12's when the course average is 79%), at best we can act like your legal counsel. But hypothetically a legal counsel is useless when there is NO law being broken.

As for the GPA system I called the member on a Insiders thread who had that as a part of his platform(Richard Cioci) during election, saying the 12 point system doesn't really have all that many faults with it and Mac is unlikely to change it anytime soon. His reply was that the presence of 12 point system on his posters implies that "He wants to raise awareness that the University Affairs committee of the SRA is looking into this issue".

As for Elm, what most people don't know is that ELM wasn't created by or had anything to do with UTS. UTS was supposed to make elm, but then they were unsure whether they can do it so the University gave the contract to an outside company. The outside company bailed close to the start of the school year and UTS had to step in and clean the mess up and actually learn how the outside company made the whole thing and troubleshoot. Can you please elaborate what the role of the SRA is in this instance?

Lastly, the MUGSI issue is something I had as a part of my platform since I had already been researching it over the summer and one thing I have been telling people over and over is that according to Registrars office it would cost us $20-25 Million to upgrade the hardware; hence with Mac facing a massive $60 mil budget deficiet that looks unrealisitic.
Hence I'm looking at a more realistic software upgrade approach to it and that would be part of a offiical Lobbying Policy. The Board of Directors then would take the policy and be bound to lobby the registrars office for implementing these changes. I can't just walk into the UTS office and demand changes, it all has to go through meticulous steps where I as an SRA member have limited autonomy.

The reason for this rant is that I humbly hope you understand the limits and role of the SRA members. I know people mislead constituents like you during elections to gain votes by making grandstanding claims and that is one of the reasons why the SRA faces so much criticisms, people are unclear as to what their role is! :(

thank you for clearing that up! when the elections where happening, candidates would come to class yelling out about how they were going to try their very best at fixing ELM (to try to solve all the nagging issues, as one of the candidates said), MUGSI, Mac's 12 point GPA scale.... this sounds all very great but being able to do all that isn't really going to happen in the near future. Okay i went a bit overboard and I apologize but the SRA needs to clearly define what their role is and to not go around campaigning things they really can't change.
Old 12-16-2009 at 03:29 PM   #45
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Okay i went a bit overboard and I apologize but the SRA needs to clearly define what their role is and to not go around campaigning things they really can't change.
Here's the thing Infinity! The opinion article in the Sil bashed us and said "The MSU should put out a better set of candidates". Which if you think about it is ridiculous, because it's not the MSU that is putting out candidates like ala a Communist Party. Everyone is free to run as long as they get 15 signatures from their constituents, the MSU or current SRA members can't even tell them during campaiging that what they have in their platform is not possible!

I've actually tried to do that in the election I was running and for the First Year Council Election as an exofficio and remind people that their platform points are unrealistic(since I had the MSU insight as a FYC member), but I barely managed to stay on the right side of breaking elections rules for "slandering" opponents because the rules are so vaguely defined.

But yeah I suppose one of the reasons we have so much voter apathy is that people like you don't buy the stuff most candidates perpetrate! I only wish there was something that could be done to change this environment! :(

MSU Vice President Education '12/13