MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth and Environmental science questions (URGENT) switching to life science!! leena.a Academics 4 07-28-2013 01:46 AM
Health Science 1G03 for a life science student 1nfinite First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-11-2013 05:18 PM
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM

Science Co-op

Old 08-14-2014 at 07:49 PM   #1
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Science Co-op
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about Science Co-op.

Is it true that for a 4 month co-op placement, the co-op office doesn't care if you only work for two of those months?

For example, if I have a co-op term for May 2014-August 2014, will the co-op office care if I volunteer from May & June 2014 and work from July 2014-August 2014 (this is hypothetical)?
Old 08-14-2014 at 07:56 PM   #2
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Im pretty sure the co-op office wants to make sure you are getting paid, I think thats one of the stipulations. That was the case with me through the SCCE at least

bradyr likes this.
Old 08-14-2014 at 08:24 PM   #3
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Im pretty sure the co-op office wants to make sure you are getting paid, I think thats one of the stipulations. That was the case with me through the SCCE at least
As long as you're paid, they don't care how often or when even if you only work for 2 months?
Old 08-14-2014 at 09:16 PM   #4
RSK1

I'm not sure if science co-op works this way but for engineering co-op in order for it to be recognized as a 4-month co-op it has to be minimum 12 weeks, 35 hours a week, paid.

Just try emailing the science co-op services and ask, they're there to help you.
Old 08-14-2014 at 11:01 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Saying "is it true that" implies that you heard this from somewhere. What is your source?

I am fairly sure (~95% sure) that being paid is a requirement for co-op. There are actually regulations set out for the requirements needed for universities to have accredited co-op programs, and if I remember correctly, renumeration is one of them.
Old 08-14-2014 at 11:55 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

When I was applying for co-op positions just last year, it was a minimum of 15 weeks and it there has to be some sort of remuneration for those 15 weeks, it doesn't have to be X/hour or anything like that. If you don't mind me asking though, is there a reason why you're only getting paid for 2 months? That's a little unfair by the employer tbh :(

The employer guide lists recommended salary ranges, but there's no required minimum set.
See: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...rGuide2008.pdf
Old 08-15-2014 at 08:27 AM   #7
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

Just as in eng, science co-op requires that you work for 12 weeks full-time for pay in an academically relevant position. They of course want you to be working the full 16 weeks. However, if for whatever reason you can't, it is possible for exceptions to be made, such as the one you suggested in the first post, if you make your case. I know this because I was almost in this very situation.
Old 08-15-2014 at 10:00 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
When I was applying for co-op positions just last year, it was a minimum of 15 weeks and it there has to be some sort of remuneration for those 15 weeks, it doesn't have to be X/hour or anything like that. If you don't mind me asking though, is there a reason why you're only getting paid for 2 months? That's a little unfair by the employer tbh :(

The employer guide lists recommended salary ranges, but there's no required minimum set.
See: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...rGuide2008.pdf
Those are recommended ranges assuming the student is being paid, based on what is typical for each kind of position. The minimum would be minimum wage.

I went and looked up the requirements for co-op as set out by the CAFCE (which is the accreditation body), and renumeration is one of the requirements:
http://www.cafce.ca/coop-defined.html

So, if you're only getting paid for two months, then it's technically only those two months that count towards co-op. There might be some sort of loophole to get around this, but really, why would you want to
Old 08-15-2014 at 01:18 PM   #9
Ems467

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Those are recommended ranges assuming the student is being paid, based on what is typical for each kind of position. The minimum would be minimum wage.

I went and looked up the requirements for co-op as set out by the CAFCE (which is the accreditation body), and renumeration is one of the requirements:

So, if you're only getting paid for two months, then it's technically only those two months that count towards co-op. There might be some sort of loophole to get around this, but really, why would you want to
Some academic positions pay stipends that are below minimum wage.
Old 08-15-2014 at 07:37 PM   #10
bradyr

Thanks guys. I do have a weekly job for my 8 month co-op period (6 hours per week, once per week)

Not sure if this would satisfy the co-op requirement (I'm going to find a second co-op job, but if worse comes to worse, at least I have a weekly job for the co-op period).
Old 08-15-2014 at 09:03 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems467 View Post
Some academic positions pay stipends that are below minimum wage.
Are these co-op positions? Because I never saw any that paid by a stipend when I was in the program. I know there are academic positions that pay by stipend, but I've never heard of it for a co-op student. Can you give an example?
Old 08-15-2014 at 11:35 PM   #12
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Thanks guys. I do have a weekly job for my 8 month co-op period (6 hours per week, once per week)

Not sure if this would satisfy the co-op requirement (I'm going to find a second co-op job, but if worse comes to worse, at least I have a weekly job for the co-op period).
I believe you need to work FT at 37.5/40 hrs a wk. Also must be paid, and I believe a minimum of 15 wks. (might be 16) for 1 co-op term (4 months). Also must prove it is relevant to your program if you don't apply through SCCE.
Old 08-16-2014 at 09:22 AM   #13
Ems467

Quote:
Are these co-op positions? Because I never saw any that paid by a stipend when I was in the program. I know there are academic positions that pay by stipend, but I've never heard of it for a co-op student. Can you give an example?
Yup, these are co-op positions posted by the SCCE. As far as I know, some research institutes in Toronto and Montreal do this.
Old 08-16-2014 at 03:08 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:

That's the thing though, remuneration is required, but for the co-op to count towards your degree at McMaster, it doesn't have to be minimum wage for the 35 hrs/week for 15 weeks. And it's a rule/law that the university has to be abide by, so they use it as a loophole. Very unfair, but they do want to get positions for every student, so I guess that's their compromise.

@ Moghue- it's 15 weeks for 35 hours each minimum