MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Those taking Physics/English in Summer School luna Academics 0 03-30-2011 02:08 PM
For any or all students taking psychology, neuroscience and behavior program (B.A) IWannaGohere Academics 28 02-12-2011 10:54 AM
English electives for science students: what not to take? shreya s. Academics 2 04-28-2010 08:21 PM

Science students taking English

Old 05-23-2012 at 09:45 PM   #1
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Science students taking English
Hello, just wondering what type of experiences you Science students have had with English courses or if you plan on taking any. I was looking mostly at first year English courses. I know a lot of people take it during the summer but I don't know if I want to do that because I don't know what I'll be up to in the summer but hopefully something awesome! I looove to read so that's why I was leaning more towards 1AA3...hoping I'll have time to read everything. It's the essays I'm worried about! But i feel like it's very important to know how to write an essay. So no matter what English class I take I hope to gain some writing skills from it. So if you have any comments/suggestions please help!

Also if you are not a Science student but have an opinion let me know!
Old 05-23-2012 at 09:51 PM   #2
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

I took english 1cs3 and it is my favourite elective so far! The essay marks are entirely based on the TA you get, so I guess I lucked out there. Personally, I think it's really important for science students to take some humanity/soc sci courses, just to explore what else is out there and gain an appreciation for other types of thinking processes.

J. Dorey, lt93, Silver like this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 11:28 PM   #3
jon.yoon

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, I took English 1A03 during the school year and it turned out to be my favourite course so far. I agree with Jenn, I noticed that essay marks were based a lot on your TA. The course itself didn't really require too much work, there were really light readings (poems and short stories) and two essays (500 word + 1000 word). It was really different from high school in terms of essay writing because there was so much freedom in the essay topic.. Also, the structure, and thesis writing also differs a lot from high school. I would recommend seeing the writing tutors for help with thesis writing.. and also the TA for help when it comes to essay writing. I don't really know about 1AA3, but 1A03 turned out to be a really cool course. Hope this helps a bit!
Old 05-24-2012 at 12:08 AM   #4
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

As the above poster stated, going to see your TA/writing tutors/prof will help you so much when it comes to your essay writing skills. That's what they're there for (for better or worse...), so don't be afraid of them or the essays!