MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A. canada90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2010 03:21 PM
Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions. Nyqtussin2 Academics 4 06-05-2010 10:40 AM
Summer Orientation Program Guides new first year students! Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-24-2009 09:38 AM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM

For any or all students taking psychology, neuroscience and behavior program (B.A)

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:32 AM   #1
IWannaGohere

Liked: 1 Time

For any or all students taking psychology, neuroscience and behavior program (B.A)
Hello everyone my name is Travon and I'm interested in McMaster's psychology, neuroscience and Behavior program (B.A). I'm only in grade 11 and thinking of applying next year. Inwas just wondering (for PNB students) if there is a lot of math needed in this program, and for the math there is it hard? I only ask because my math mark isn't the best but is getting 80s in all my other classes
Old 01-29-2011 at 08:13 AM   #2
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

You're in grade 11, calm down. Enjoy life while you can.

Jason036, kristina like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 08:32 AM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterrrrr View Post
The heck? Poster seems pretty calm to me.

DMe3, IWannaGohere, L'Étoile like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 08:57 AM   #4
IWannaGohere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterrrrr View Post
well just becuz i am in grade 11 doesn't mean i can't think ahead and
btw i'm enjoying life quite well thank you very much
Old 01-29-2011 at 09:04 AM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Yeah, Gr 11's have a lot of time to do this stuff. I wish I did.
Old 01-29-2011 at 09:17 AM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Check out the undergrad calendar

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1724.html

This has a list of all the courses you would be required to take. Btw, there's no PNB level I, it's a level II entry program which means you complete a level I program of your choice and then apply for this at the end of level I. So you could potentially go into social sciences or science or humanities, whatever you want really and then apply for this program.

Also, if you dislike math there are ways out of it, for example you could take math 1m03 which is designed for soc sci/business/humanities, I imagine it would be less math heavy than would the science-y math courses.

Anyways, other than 1st year it doesnt really seem like there's much math in the BA program.

IWannaGohere says thanks to SciMania for this post.

IWannaGohere likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 09:28 AM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
Also, if you dislike math there are ways out of it, for example you could take math 1m03 which is designed for soc sci/business/humanities, I imagine it would be less math heavy than would the science-y math courses.
...or...Math 1LS3.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:19 AM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
...or...Math 1LS3.
Oh man I hope that arrogance backfires on you, I know plenty of people who were like 1LS3 IS SO BIRD LOL (of course it is, I got a 12) but got pump faked on one of the tests or got cocky and didn't practice enough for the exam and woooooooooooooooooooo oooooof there goes your A

alh24, Jason036 like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:19 AM   #9
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaGohere View Post
Hello everyone my name is Travon and I'm interested in McMaster's psychology, neuroscience and Behavior program (B.A). I'm only in grade 11 and thinking of applying next year. Inwas just wondering (for PNB students) if there is a lot of math needed in this program, and for the math there is it hard? I only ask because my math mark isn't the best but is getting 80s in all my other classes
Basic rule imo is that unless you're in a math program and taking specific math courses, mathematics in university will never be too difficult

IWannaGohere likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 03:41 PM   #10
IWannaGohere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Basic rule imo is that unless you're in a math program and taking specific math courses, mathematics in university will never be too difficult
alright so if math will not be too difficult do u believe i should just skip grade 12 math and jump str8 into math 1k0 or take math next year
Old 01-29-2011 at 03:46 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
...mathematics in university will never be too difficult

/engineer
Old 01-29-2011 at 03:52 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

/engineer
ive done some 2nd year eng math and it tapers off at a point where it isnt that hard, but the applications to dynamics and shit make it impossible to do (for me, at least, because I suck at advanced dynamics..so much)

Old 01-29-2011 at 03:53 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaGohere View Post
alright so if math will not be too difficult do u believe i should just skip grade 12 math and jump str8 into math 1k0 or take math next year
I'd do it, it takes stones for a person to not take the easy way out and at least prove to themselves that they are capable..

Old 01-29-2011 at 04:24 PM   #14
Jin13
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

nooo. the math you have to take for psych isn't too bad for uni math, but it's waaaay easier to take calculus in highschool than uni. even if you're grade sucks you just need it as the pre-req to take the second calc course needed in uni. you don't want to have to take 2 calc courses here cuz they're more difficult, plus mac charges $500 for each course you take plus textbook costs and at highschool it's FREE.
Old 01-29-2011 at 04:30 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin13 View Post
nooo. the math you have to take for psych isn't too bad for uni math, but it's waaaay easier to take calculus in highschool than uni. even if you're grade sucks you just need it as the pre-req to take the second calc course needed in uni. you don't want to have to take 2 calc courses here cuz they're more difficult, plus mac charges $500 for each course you take plus textbook costs and at highschool it's FREE.
OMG. GONE ARE THE DAYS OF RENTING TEXTBOOKS.

Now we buy them.. I miss high school..