MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Undergraduate Course Calendar Geek Academics 4 07-03-2010 07:43 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Help with the Undergraduate Calendar goodnews.inc Academics 6 07-22-2009 11:10 PM
Undergraduate E-mail? Ruggedman Academics 15 08-13-2008 08:04 AM
Undergraduate office? 5footwonder Academics 2 08-07-2008 11:48 PM

Second Undergraduate Degree

Old 06-23-2009 at 10:06 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Second Undergraduate Degree
I currently have an undergraduate degree from McMaster and am wondering if there are any restrictions to complete a second undergraduate degree at McMaster. Would I still have to compete against high school students and make all the same application deadlines?

Also, is it true that I can't get a second undergraduate degree in Commerce or Health Sciences from McMaster?
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:08 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Also, is it true that I can't get a second undergraduate degree in Commerce or Health Sciences from McMaster?
You definitely can't get a second degree in Commerce. If you want to pursue a commerce degree, you would have to enroll in the MBA program.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:09 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

"McMaster Second Degree: You are a McMaster graduate or potential graduate and wish to pursue a second undergraduate degree. You can now apply electronically."

Source: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/chs-retur.html

Allan says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:56 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I'm currently doing a second undergrad now.

If I recall correctly, as long as you have the average to get in (i.e. at least what was needed to progress into second year). But you can't get a second undergrad in Eng, Health Sci or Commerce.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Allan says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:17 PM   #5
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I'm currently doing a second undergrad now.

If I recall correctly, as long as you have the average to get in (i.e. at least what was needed to progress into second year). But you can't get a second undergrad in Eng, Health Sci or Commerce.
Did you still have to compete against high school students and make all the same application deadlines?

Also, what happens if I'm missing a high-school prerequisite?
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:33 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Did you still have to compete against high school students and make all the same application deadlines?

Also, what happens if I'm missing a high-school prerequisite?
I'm pretty sure I applied to Mac directly and not through OUAC. My application deadline was much later, March I think. I found out by the end of April if I was accepted.

And you're not being put into the first year of the program, you're put into an upper year, as your first year credits (i.e. the 30 units of essentially random courses you need to take) are already accounted for.

I was placed in third year last year. But this may have been partially because my other degree (CSCT) overlaps with English. For example, last year I needed 18 units of credits if I wanted to graduate without Honours. For this year I only needed 6 units of seminar and 3 other units of English to graduate with Honours. Woohoo 21 units of electives and the ability to add another major.

If you are missing high school prereqs, I would talk to the academic director of the department. I would also assume you're missing university prereqs too, so your application would have been much different (read: not direct entry) like mine.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Allan says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:58 PM   #7
Allan
Elite Member

Yes, I'm missing many 1st year prerequisites too, since it is a completely different faculty.

It now seems like its too late to get into any undergraduate or graduate program by this September by any means.
Old 06-24-2009 at 12:05 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, Grad programs acceptances come in between mid-March and mid-April and few have waiting lists.

I would talk to the department and see if you can register for January courses and/or as a part-time student; I don't know if Mac no longer allows you access to SOLAR once you have commenced and are technically no longer continuing here.

This would also give you the time to take any missing high school prereqs in night school at adult education centers.