MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce 2MA3 sample questions tray General Discussion 0 10-15-2011 12:05 AM
questions about some courses.. Chevalier Academics 5 06-02-2011 05:12 PM
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
Questions about 2nd year commerce tutorials whistleblwr Academics 3 07-31-2010 10:16 PM

Second year Commerce courses questions

Old 04-27-2012 at 09:47 AM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Second year Commerce courses questions
Hi people,

Next year I'll be taking the following 3 Commerce courses:
COMMERCE 2AA3, 2AB3 and 2FA3.

Can anyone please provide me with some advice for the above mentioned courses? The only experience I may have which is remotely close to the above courses would be Grade 9 & 10 Business and Micro/Macroeconomics. Which professors are good? Which should I steer clear from? Any study tips? Thanks for the help in advance,

Humza
Old 04-27-2012 at 09:56 AM   #2
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Hi people,

Next year I'll be taking the following 3 Commerce courses:
COMMERCE 2AA3, 2AB3 and 2FA3.

Can anyone please provide me with some advice for the above mentioned courses? The only experience I may have which is remotely close to the above courses would be Grade 9 & 10 Business and Micro/Macroeconomics. Which professors are good? Which should I steer clear from? Any study tips? Thanks for the help in advance,

Humza
I can't believe it's been nearly three years since I took these courses. Yikes. Well first of all, Stonehouse is REALLY awesome. She's a younger prof (around 30) and even though I didn't have her for 2AA3 when I took it, I had her for 4AC3 and she was great. Kanagaretnam teaches 2AB3 and he is usually pretty happy and goes through very detailed examples during lecture. Deaves teaches 2FA3 and he isn't great but it could be worse I guess.

Micro/Macro doesn't really apply to any of these courses. I had no background in finance going into 2FA3 so I found the course a little challenging. If you do have Deaves, MAKE SURE YOU DO THE PRACTICE TESTS, as they were almost identical to the actual midterms.

I took both grade 11 and 12 accounting so I had no problems in 2AA3 or 2AB3 but if you attend each lecture you shouldn't find them too tricky. Once you understand the basic concept of debit/credit and journal entries you'll be okay.

Good luck.

Last edited by Circa : 04-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.

anonanon987 says thanks to Circa for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:03 AM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post
I can't believe it's been nearly three years since I took these courses. Yikes. Well first of all, Stonehouse is REALLY awesome. She's a younger prof (around 30) and even though I didn't have her for 2AB3 when I took it, I had her for 4AC3 and she was great. Kanagaretnam teaches 2AB3 and he is usually pretty happy and goes through very detailed examples during lecture. Deaves teaches 2FA3 and he isn't great but it could be worse I guess.

Micro/Macro doesn't really apply to any of these courses. I had no background in finance going into 2FA3 so I found the course a little challenging. If you do have Deaves, MAKE SURE YOU DO THE PRACTICE TESTS, as they were almost identical to the actual midterms.

I took both grade 11 and 12 accounting so I had no problems in 2AA3 or 2AB3 but if you attend each lecture you shouldn't find them too tricky. Once you understand the basic concept of debit/credit and journal entries you'll be okay.

Good luck.
Haha thanks Circa. Congratulations for graduating from Mac . Would you say that this courses are all 12-able given that you put the effort and time into it of the respective courses?

Circa likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:07 AM   #4
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

It is definitely easy to get a 12 in all of those courses. I barely put in any effort and 11'd all of them. I mean, they provide lots of practise and you know what is going to be on the test before you write it. But yeah, just do all the practise tests and you will see that the actual ones are very similar in detail

anonanon987 says thanks to GregZ for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:11 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregZ View Post
It is definitely easy to get a 12 in all of those courses. I barely put in any effort and 11'd all of them. I mean, they provide lots of practise and you know what is going to be on the test before you write it. But yeah, just do all the practise tests and you will see that the actual ones are very similar in detail
Thank you Greg. Hearing that is a relief. I'll put it as much effort and time as I can into all of my courses next year.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:12 AM   #6
Circa

Quote:
Haha thanks Circa. Congratulations for graduating from Mac . Would you say that this courses are all 12-able given that you put the effort and time into it of the respective courses?
Well for 2AA3 and 2AB3 -- definitely 12-able. The tutorials are really good (probably the best I've had in any year) and they'll go over major problems each week that you'll find on the midterms. You'll probably have to put in more work at first because absorbing all of the new accounting theory will be a bit of a handful at the start.

As for 2FA3, you could pull off a 12 but it's less likely than the other two courses. The exam brought A LOT of people down. It's worth 50%, and because the midterm marks are usually very high (due to the past midterms helping everyone) it almost feels like he tries to make it extra hard just to bring people's marks down. I can't remember if he posts a past exam or not.

Personally, for me second year was the hardest because Commerce second year is like first year for other programs (this was the year I felt like I jumped from high school level to University). I didn't really develop good study habits until third year though, so you might find it easier than I did.

anonanon987 says thanks to Circa for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:19 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post
Well for 2AA3 and 2AB3 -- definitely 12-able. The tutorials are really good (probably the best I've had in any year) and they'll go over major problems each week that you'll find on the midterms. You'll probably have to put in more work at first because absorbing all of the new accounting theory will be a bit of a handful at the start.

As for 2FA3, you could pull off a 12 but it's less likely than the other two courses. The exam brought A LOT of people down. It's worth 50%, and because the midterm marks are usually very high (due to the past midterms helping everyone) it almost feels like he tries to make it extra hard just to bring people's marks down. I can't remember if he posts a past exam or not.

Personally, for me second year was the hardest because Commerce second year is like first year for other programs (this was the year I felt like I jumped from high school level to University). I didn't really develop good study habits until third year though, so you might find it easier than I did.
Ah okay thanks. Where would one go about finding previous tests/midterms? Does the professor provide them to you or would I have to find a student who previously took these courses and ask them?
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:23 AM   #8
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

Deaves (2fa3) provides soooooo many practise questions that it is actually difficult to get through them all. So no need to go looking there, just purchase his custom courseware.

Then both accounting courses will provide you with i think 2-3 of the previous years' midterms/exams. So there is no need to go looking at all for practise questions. These courses are all really well tested, and give ample opportunities to learn the information

anonanon987 says thanks to GregZ for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:23 AM   #9
Circa

Quote:
Ah okay thanks. Where would one go about finding previous tests/midterms? Does the professor provide them to you or would I have to find a student who previously took these courses and ask them?
I'm not sure about Stonehouse since I didn't have her for 2AA3, but the other two uploaded them to the course sites.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:27 AM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Alright sweet! Thank you to both of you two. I actually was looking forward to these 3 classes but now I'm even more inclined to start.
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:39 AM   #11
justlisten

Liked: 1 Time

Deaves............... n/c..
Old 04-29-2012 at 01:49 PM   #12
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlisten View Post
Deaves............... n/c..
LOL OLIVIA.......

2AA3 isn't bad, but for someone who didn't take accounting ever in high school, I felt this course was a bit fast-paced and there were so many terms and methods that had to be learned. It was also really easy to fall behind.

2AB3 is easy, do all his problems and you'll likely understand what you're doing. I made the mistake of learning all the material from scratch for the exam 2 days before. terrible.

2FA3 is kinda tricky, the book doesn't do any justice imo, it's only there for the qualitative questions. Midterms almost identical to his practice problems, exam certainly not

anonanon987 says thanks to andrewjdg for this post.
Old 04-29-2012 at 03:40 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjdg View Post
LOL OLIVIA.......

2AA3 isn't bad, but for someone who didn't take accounting ever in high school, I felt this course was a bit fast-paced and there were so many terms and methods that had to be learned. It was also really easy to fall behind.

2AB3 is easy, do all his problems and you'll likely understand what you're doing. I made the mistake of learning all the material from scratch for the exam 2 days before. terrible.

2FA3 is kinda tricky, the book doesn't do any justice imo, it's only there for the qualitative questions. Midterms almost identical to his practice problems, exam certainly not
Thanks for the info. With regards to 2AA3, if one did their homework each night it was assigned and asked questions in the tutorials, etc., would you expect a person then to fall behind? With regards to 2FA3, how was the exam different than the midterms?
Old 04-29-2012 at 04:15 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

huhu neone got questions / material for 2aa3 @[email protected]
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:48 PM   #15
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the info. With regards to 2AA3, if one did their homework each night it was assigned and asked questions in the tutorials, etc., would you expect a person then to fall behind? With regards to 2FA3, how was the exam different than the midterms?
How about... you wait and just experience it? Do you get good grades in computer science? Apply those habits to the schematic of a commerce course. How hard can it really be?

brb, if I do my homework, ask questions when I am confused, will i do well?

What do you think?

LOL, strong post spamming.