MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unbalanced Courseload oxelhs Academics 15 06-22-2011 01:57 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Second Year Courseload

Old 06-26-2011 at 11:39 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Second Year Courseload
Heya everyone. I'm about to head into second year honours bio. And so far my courses for term 1 are
Physics1b03, Chem2OA3, bio 2b03, chembio2p03, and envirsci 2ww3.
I was thinking that maybe orgo and physics together would be a little too much, since I never took grade 11/12 physics and orgo seems to be a killer. I may just take it in the summer/term 2 or 3rd year. If I do move physics, I may try and move stats2b03 from 2nd to 1st term, and maybe drop envirsci for abnormal psych (this course seems kind of interesting to me....just not sure if it is really difficult or not!)

For second term I currently have chem2Ob3, math1lt3, stats2b03, biochem2ee3, and biology2c03.
If I do move my physics from 1st term, I may switch it with stats, or if I don't take physics THIS year....I may take an elective instead.

Do you think my course load will be balanced, and how difficult in general it will be? I know this will be pretty standard/similar to most science students. The reason I'm scared to take physics at the same time as chem is because I had physics 1l03 and chem1aa3 at the same time last year and I found that I never found enough time to work on/understand physics, or I just suffered from not having taken grade 11/12 physics.
Sorry if my post is all over the place. haha Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!

By the way, has anyone taken life sci 2h03, life sci 2n03, psych2ap3, or any second year psychs? I wasn't able to get into econ1b03, so I may have to try and get into one of the other courses...!
Old 06-27-2011 at 03:38 PM   #2
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

IMO, your first semester looks tough. It's probably doable, but I could see it being really stressful - just because for orgo and physics it takes a lot of time to go through all the practice and if you fall behind in either, you're screwed. Why put yourself through that stress? I think postponing one of those two courses is a good idea, make life easier for yourself - especially since I found Orgo to be a lot more work than Chem 1AA3, and I'm guessing that 1B03 is a lot more work than 1L03.

Your second term seems ok - stats, biochem and genetics won't take up a whole lot of your time.

Old 06-27-2011 at 03:43 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I took orgo 2oa3, physics 1bb3 and bio 2b03 at the same time last year. It was quite manageable. My other two courses were not super time consuming, though. Water is probably not time consuming at all, and I'm not sure about the chem bio course but my guess is it will be time consuming. You may want to change one of those courses so you have like 3 hard ones and 2 medium/easy ones. But it's still not a horrible schedule by any means.
Old 06-27-2011 at 04:40 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

That doesn't seem bad at all. Plenty of people take orgo + physics, largely people who didn't do gr11/12 physics (because they had to take 1L03 in first year, and then 1B03 is required by the end of 2nd year for a lot of programs).
Old 06-27-2011 at 08:59 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
That doesn't seem bad at all. Plenty of people take orgo + physics, largely people who didn't do gr11/12 physics (because they had to take 1L03 in first year, and then 1B03 is required by the end of 2nd year for a lot of programs).
I'm still really afraid to take physics at the same time haha, but I'm in honours bio. It isn't really required for me to take it unless I choose to take bio2a03...but then again I need it for pharmacy. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to divide enough time for each course, leading to lower-than-desirable marks for my prerequisite gpa :(.
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:02 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I'm still really afraid to take physics at the same time haha, but I'm in honours bio. It isn't really required for me to take it unless I choose to take bio2a03...but then again I need it for pharmacy. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to divide enough time for each course, leading to lower-than-desirable marks for my prerequisite gpa :(.
If you wait to do anything until you're sure you're right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Just do it. If you can't handle orgo + physics together, what makes you think you'll be able to handle pharmacy school? Better to figure out how to handle the workload now.

Purple2309, Watoko like this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 03:40 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
If you wait to do anything until you're sure you're right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Just do it. If you can't handle orgo + physics together, what makes you think you'll be able to handle pharmacy school? Better to figure out how to handle the workload now.
That's true...it's like that pay me now/pay me later deal I guess!
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:00 PM   #8
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

ok couple of things...

1. are you sure you need physics 1b03? firstly it is not required at waterloo pharmacy and uoft asks only for high school level physics or university level physics - so if u took 1l03 it should be sufficient. maybe you should double check with uoft...also physics 1b03 is offered 2nd term and in the summer as well so these are options.

2. here's how i would split the course load:

term 1:
chem bio 2p03
stats 2b03 << make sure u take it with dr. childs
bio 2b03
earth sci 2ww3
-a psych course (maybe 2ap3, 2b03, 2c03, or 2aa3)

term 2:
biochem 2ee3
math 1lt3
bio 2c03
-elective
-elective

summer OR 3rd year:
chem 2OA3/2OB3
physics 1b03

3rd year:
bio 2ee3

this would allow you to apply for pharmacy while in your 3rd year.

also i agree with nerual...in pharmacy u take 6 courses each term (uoft) or 8 courses each term (waterloo)...and they're not going to be easy to yes its best to get used to it now.

Last edited by SciMania : 06-28-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:07 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Keep in mind you need at least one year of socsci/humanities for uoft pharm, and I believe at least 2 years for waterloo.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:08 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
ok couple of things...

1. are you sure you need physics 1b03? firstly it is not required at waterloo pharmacy and uoft asks only for high school level physics or university level physics - so if u took 1l03 it should be sufficient. maybe you should double check with uoft...also physics 1b03 is offered 2nd term and in the summer as well so these are options.

2. here's how i would split the course load:

term 1:
chem bio 2p03
stats 2b03 << make sure u take it with dr. childs
bio 2b03
earth sci 2ww3
-a psych course (maybe 2ap3, 2b03, 2c03, or 2aa3)

term 2:
biochem 2ee3
math 1lt3
bio 2c03
-elective
-elective

summer OR 3rd year:
chem 2OA3/2OB3
physics 1b03

3rd year:
bio 2ee3

this would allow you to apply for pharmacy while in your 3rd year.

also i agree with nerual...in pharmacy u take 6 courses each term (uoft) or 8 courses each term (waterloo)...and they're not going to be easy to yes its best to get used to it now.
I remember emailing either UofT or Waterloo, and they said that if I didn't have grade 12 physics I'd need a full year of physics meaning l03 and b03. I did pretty bad in l03 haha. I am hoping to apply for pharmacy in my 3rd year, but I'm still missing bio2ee3 if I want to go to waterloo. The reason I didn't consider taking orgo in the summer/third year was because I'd need 2Oa3 for biochem2ee3 and I kind of didn't want to leave so many of my prerequisites for the end.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:10 PM   #11
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
I remember emailing either UofT or Waterloo, and they said that if I didn't have grade 12 physics I'd need a full year of physics meaning l03 and b03. I did pretty bad in l03 haha. I am hoping to apply for pharmacy in my 3rd year, but I'm still missing bio2ee3 if I want to go to waterloo. The reason I didn't consider taking orgo in the summer/third year was because I'd need 2Oa3 for biochem2ee3 and I kind of didn't want to leave so many of my prerequisites for the end.
you could do 2oa3 but leave 2ob3 for the summer, that would allow you to take biochem 2ee3 in 2nd term of 2nd year.

or if you do 2oa3/2ob3 in the summer then biochem 3rd year you can still apply in 3rd year. biochem is not a hard course.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:28 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
You should double check--often when schools require a "full year" of physics, 1L03 doesn't count since it's not 'university level' and doesn't have labs--its 1B03+1BB3/1BA3. Since gr12 phys is also acceptable, this might be okay though--just email them to double-check so you're not screwed over last-minute.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:38 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
You should double check--often when schools require a "full year" of physics, 1L03 doesn't count since it's not 'university level' and doesn't have labs--its 1B03+1BB3/1BA3. Since gr12 phys is also acceptable, this might be okay though--just email them to double-check so you're not screwed over last-minute.
I will make sure again. Yeahh, I kind of picked the wrong term for stats. My prof right now is Canty and I have no idea if he's a good prof or not. I don't even think he's taught stats2b03 before. Also for physics I'm worried because Nejat is teachin second term and I couldn't really follow his teaching. First term though has Wilson and another person teaching.
Old 06-30-2011 at 11:52 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Keep in mind you need at least one year of socsci/humanities for uoft pharm, and I believe at least 2 years for waterloo.
I think Waterloo requires two terms of humanities that aren't the same subjects. I hope psych 1xx3 counts.
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:48 AM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I think Waterloo requires two terms of humanities that aren't the same subjects. I hope psych 1xx3 counts.
http://www.pharmacy.uwaterlo o.ca/f...c-requirements

Humanities or Social Sciences
And http://pharmacy.uwaterloo.ca /futur...nities-courses

Although not a comprehensive list, the following represents the broad range of courses that can be used to fulfill the requirements for Social Science or Humanities courses.
Anthropology; Chinese; Classics; Croatian; Drama; Dutch; Economics; English; Fine Arts; French; Geography; German; Greek; History; Italian; Italian Studies; Japanese; Jewish Studies; Korean; Latin; Music; Native Studies; Peace and Conflict Studies; Philosophy; Polish; Portuguese; Political Science; Psychology; Religious Studies; Russian; Sexuality, Marriage and Family; Sociology; Spanish; Speech Communications; Spirituality and Personal Development; Ukrainian; or Women’s Studies.