MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
third year health age courses bubbly Academics 0 06-11-2012 10:30 PM
Any upper year Health Scis around? Galleria First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 10-16-2011 11:21 AM
Hi all! 1st Year Health Sciences Sunny_GL2UA! Introduce Yourself 5 07-05-2010 09:29 PM
Health Sci Year 1 Electives LivLucy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-22-2010 01:10 PM

Second Year Health Sci Help?

Old 11-21-2012 at 11:48 PM   #1
kesunia

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year Health Sci Help?
Hey! I'm currently in Life Sciences and I wanted to transfer into the Health Sci program in second year, how do I get around to doing that? And what cumulative average should I have to get accepted ?
Also, would I need to take any of the first year courses in second year? or do I just continue from second year?

Thanks alot!
Old 11-21-2012 at 11:54 PM   #2
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Go speak to an academic advisor.
Old 11-22-2012 at 12:06 AM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Simply fill out the application: http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp2/
Old 11-22-2012 at 12:13 AM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Hi, I transferred from Life Sci to Health Sci just this year. I cannot stressed this enough: Do NOT go through first year determined to get into Health Sci. It's still very competitive and chances of success are slim... that's not to say its not possible (obviously people do get in!)... just please keep in mind that there are some really cool options in the Faculty of Science.

To transfer, this information is all on the BHSc portion of the McMaster web page but essentially:

You need 6 units of intro chemistry and 6 in biology ... Chem 1a03/1aa3 and Bio 1a03/1m03. You need a 10.0 GPA and then it's all about the supplementary application. In second year you take a 6 credit inquiry (2D06) instead of the regular 3 credit inquiry that non-transfers take.
Old 11-22-2012 at 12:34 AM   #5
LIBORplustwo
Account Locked

Yes, it is ALL about the application once you pass the grade threshold (10.0). I know several people that had 11+, one guy had an 11.9, but still did not get in.
Old 11-26-2012 at 01:22 AM   #6
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

I am also a transfer from Life Sci to Health Sci. To get accepted, all you need is a 10.0 GPA. Once you have above that, everybody is considered equal and it is all based on your supplementary application from there. Like Phil said, there are some prerequisite courses you need, and once you transfer, you have a special inquiry course. But for the most part, you are with the rest of the Health Scis. Please PM me if you have any questions regarding applying or the actual transfer (or Life Sci specializations for that matter)
Old 11-26-2012 at 08:51 PM   #7
kesunia

Thank you all for you helpful information