MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is 2nd year science course harder than 1st year? wjd1dud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-18-2011 11:22 PM
Social Science First Year lin_aj Academics 9 07-18-2011 07:36 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Second Year Science

Old 03-09-2012 at 07:43 PM   #1
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Second Year Science
Hello,
So its getting to that time for the first years to start picking what they want to do in second year (atleast narrowing it down). I was just wondering if people in 2nd, 3rd, 4thm year could give me/us some input... How do you like your program? What sucks, whats good, hows the workload? Stuff like that!

- Thanks
Old 03-09-2012 at 07:51 PM   #2
FoodChemist

Liked: 2 Times

Stay away from chem bio if you value your hours of sleep and gpa average. =D

But it really depends on your interest, I'm sure there has been 2nd year programs being advertised in your classes and such. Just remember to consider what subjects you excel in AS WELL AS what subjects you're more interested in since sometimes the two are not the same.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 03-09-2012 at 08:12 PM   #3
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodChemist View Post
Stay away from chem bio if you value your hours of sleep and gpa average. =D

But it really depends on your interest, I'm sure there has been 2nd year programs being advertised in your classes and such. Just remember to consider what subjects you excel in AS WELL AS what subjects you're more interested in since sometimes the two are not the same.
Why, has your GPA dropped since ever since you've decided on chembio?
Old 03-09-2012 at 09:32 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Im considering Bio and Biochem but for Bio im worried that the department will remain as unorganized as it was in first year, and for biochem im a little iffy about all the required chem courses, im not bad at chem or anything ive just heard some bad things (Analytical chem for instance)
Old 03-09-2012 at 09:41 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Im considering Bio and Biochem but for Bio im worried that the department will remain as unorganized as it was in first year, and for biochem im a little iffy about all the required chem courses, im not bad at chem or anything ive just heard some bad things (Analytical chem for instance)
**** chem isn't until 3rd year though, and you won't have to balance it with Orgo like Chem Bio people.
Old 03-09-2012 at 10:04 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

The fact that you call it **** chem is terrifying
Old 03-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
The fact that you call it **** chem is terrifying
The official journal abbreviation is "****. Chem." ...therefore it's legit
Also accurate...lol.
Old 03-10-2012 at 08:00 AM   #8
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

Okay, So i was in Bio (physiology specialization). I love my 2nd year but third year was horrible since our course list is way too short and we don't have many options. Interesting courses are either full or conflict with your other courses. I switched to bio and realized that there are so many courses i could do. And yeah i don't like chem...at all.
Old 03-10-2012 at 09:29 AM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Thats what's drawing me to bio, therres just so many options, first year was just really disorganized I found, and Im worried that this will carry through in the upper years
Old 03-10-2012 at 03:03 PM   #10
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I accepted to bio core in my second year and I'm pretty happy with it, got to take a lot of different biology courses and do a minor in psych. These are the courses I took:

Second Year Bio Courses: Physio 2A03, Cell Bio 2B03, Genetics 2C03, Plant Bio 2D03, Ecology 2F03
Old 03-10-2012 at 04:15 PM   #11
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Hi there,

I am also in Honours Bio and I agree with everything everyone has said about the program so far.
It is great b/c I have so many room for electives(I didn't use them wisely this year, my electives are: Physics 1B03, Orgo 2OB3 and Personality) and a wide range of bio, biochem and psych courses to choose from.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-10-2012 at 04:40 PM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

To sway you back to the Biochem side of your conundrum, I'd just like to point out that the Biochem labs are fun. We have a 6 unit course where we did recombinant DNA cloning and protein expression, purification, and related assays.
Old 03-11-2012 at 01:18 PM   #13
Philipp31
Elite Member

Some great things to consider, thanks to everyone who contributed!
Old 03-11-2012 at 10:41 PM   #14
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Also its easier to switch from a more focused program to a less focused program.

eg. Going from biochem to life sci is easier than the other way around.
Old 03-12-2012 at 12:51 AM   #15
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
To sway you back to the Biochem side of your conundrum, I'd just like to point out that the Biochem labs are fun. We have a 6 unit course where we did recombinant DNA cloning and protein expression, purification, and related assays.
What you left out is the 20 page final report, a group project each term, pop-quizzes, and horrific pre-labs.

But yes, the experiments we do in 2L06 are epic.

Biochem is a lot of work (although I`m pretty sure most second year programs are anyway...), but if you enjoy the material, it makes thing more enjoyable. Make sure you take a look at the course calendar and course reviews on macinsiders. It will give you a sense of what you`re in for. Biochem is pretty structured in terms of required courses.

justinsftw likes this.