MacInsiders Logo

How to set up DC++

Old 08-31-2008 at 09:20 AM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I can't seem to connect. is the address different?
Old 08-31-2008 at 09:23 AM   #17
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you missed something, or the address is wrong. It could be that it's down for a bit. The best advice I can give you is to ask around and follow the instructions provided on Macinsiders. I'm arriving to MAC tomorrow, so I will know what's going on then.
Old 08-31-2008 at 01:03 PM   #18
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I can't seem to connect. is the address different?

the dc++ has been running since my computer was turned on at 07:00.

Make sure your address field is perfect.
Old 08-31-2008 at 03:42 PM   #19
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks Mitch, but do i HAVE TO share something, i dont like people to view files i am sharing and whatnot (had a bad virus before) nor do i have any songs or useful files, brand new computer and trying to protect it best i can.
Old 08-31-2008 at 03:47 PM   #20
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

hey just wondering what so far have people been able to download in terms of movies/tv. shows?
Old 08-31-2008 at 03:54 PM   #21
matthenry01

can someone put up instructions on how to get this working on a mac?
I've downloaded "ShakesPeer" but can't get the program working..
Old 08-31-2008 at 10:46 PM   #22
mitch
Elite Member

Ruggedman, when you share files, they aren't able to access them on your computer or affect your computer in any way. All that they can do is upload a copy of them. I don't think there is a way to infect files or hack into computers from DC, nor any people that wish to do so on campus. But, since I haven't seen DC yet, I'm not entirely sure if there's a sharing limit. You'll know if there's one if you try to connect and it doesn't let you because it says you need to share more. If you are connected and able to search fine, then don't worry about it.

Matthenry01,

Check here http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9 8#post37198
Old 08-31-2008 at 11:48 PM   #23
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Just to add, if you're below the minimum sharing level and don't have any media files on your computer, DO NOT do what some people do to get around this and share your Program Files directory or something similar - it's not that people can modify it and screw up your computer, but it's just that you may end up saving more sensitive files in there down the road and wouldn't want them shared (unless you change it back to a media-only folder after you download some stuff - but MANY people forget to do this).

If you don't have anything to share, just grab a USB drive (or borrow one) and ask one of your friendly new neighbours if you could copy a movie or two off of their computer to put on yours to get you above the minimum share level.

Last edited by Cippi : 08-31-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2008 at 12:31 AM   #24
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Just added my 70GB (My Media Partition on my HardDrive) to the mix, hope you guys have some fun all 7 seasons of Scrubs and some assorted movies, anime, manga and a hell of a lot of PSP ISOs are there if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 09-01-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2008 at 07:36 AM   #25
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

blah..i left my psp at home lol but i uploaded my tracks..

im getting this problem though:

Quote:
[08:30] *** Connecting to machub.dyndns.org ...
[08:30] *** The requested address is not valid in its context.
The address is wrong and I created the HUB twice..any ideas?

Old 09-01-2008 at 10:53 AM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I get this error everytime!

*** A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Old 09-01-2008 at 12:11 PM   #27
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I've installed DC++ and everything according to Mitch's instructions, and I was downloading a movie then I got the blue screen saying "physical memory dump" so I restarted the computer (not thinking it was a DC issue) so I re-opened DC and again, blue screen. And I did it a third time until I caught on to what the issue was. Does anyone know a possible solution to this problem?
Old 09-01-2008 at 02:13 PM   #28
zaki

cant find the hub.. do i have to be connected to mcmasters network (internet) or can i access it from home too
Old 09-01-2008 at 02:55 PM   #29
mitch
Elite Member

Kenvin and blackdragon,

I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm back at MAC now, yay! So if you want me to take a look at your computer, just drop by the front doors of McKay. I'm in the first room to the right, or left, depending on where you go in. Room 101. Look for "Mitchell" on the door. That goes for everyone else that would like some advice as well!

KaylaMarie, it sounds like your computer may have a virus. Is it vista? If you want, I can take a look at it and check for viruses.

Zaki, you have to have a direct wired line at MAC. You can't access it from home.
Old 09-01-2008 at 03:02 PM   #30
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
I was downloading a movie then I got the blue screen saying "physical memory dump" so I restarted the computer (not thinking it was a DC issue) so I re-opened DC and again, blue screen. And I did it a third time until I caught on to what the issue was. Does anyone know a possible solution to this problem?
It's most likely a problem with your network card, as odd as that sounds. The same thing used to happen to me with both DC++ as well as Torrents until I switched it out for another one. I very much doubt it's a virus if it only happens when DC++ is running. Programs like that tend to put a massive strain on your network card, and on some cards the combination of the drivers + the firmware + the hardware just causes it to be pushed beyond what it can handle, causing your computer to bluescreen. It's actually a fairly well-known issue with some cards.

The first thing I'd try to do is update your network card drivers. If that doesn't help, you may want to do a Google search for others who had similar issues with the same card, and see if someone has come up with a solution. Barring that, if it's a desktop computer, you can just put in a brand new card (which is what I did), but if it's a laptop, your options are more limited. Something in your computer is not playing nice with something else, and that's the real issue - now the problem will be figuring out exactly what's to blame.

Last edited by Cippi : 09-01-2008 at 03:04 PM.

KaylaMarie says thanks to Cippi for this post.