MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Degree dmzz Academics 0 07-13-2010 01:12 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Help setting up router on res Juicebox Computers & Tech 6 01-14-2010 11:42 PM
The benefits of a Business Degree and a minor? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-29-2009 01:58 PM
Setting up McMaster e-mail with entourage/outlook MightyMan General Discussion 2 09-05-2008 07:34 AM

Setting up your degree (minor)?

Old 07-01-2009 at 09:21 PM   #1
bellaaa

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Setting up your degree (minor)?
hey insiderssssss
just wondering how the whole major/minor thing works
i know im gonna do honours in psych..but can i have a minor with that? i think i want either a poly sci or economics minor but i figure poly sci would be more apropriate to go w/ psych..and i read somewhere that its best to take 6 units of whatever you want to minor in ..in your first year..
anywayyy does anyone know how you go about setting up all this ( other than taking 6 units 1st yr ) ?
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:25 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaaa View Post
hey insiderssssss
just wondering how the whole major/minor thing works
i know im gonna do honours in psych..but can i have a minor with that? i think i want either a poly sci or economics minor but i figure poly sci would be more apropriate to go w/ psych..and i read somewhere that its best to take 6 units of whatever you want to minor in ..in your first year..
anywayyy does anyone know how you go about setting up all this ( other than taking 6 units 1st yr ) ?
Usually, any minor is 24 units. So the six units in first year will be taken care of, and then you just have to worry about the other 18 during the next 2-3 years you're here. It's easy to do this with your electives. :]
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:27 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Yep. I read somewhere that it's 24 units. So for me for example, I'm planning to take a minor in French. So in first year I'm taking 6 units, and for the other 18 units, either as electives or if I have trouble fitting them in, summer school
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:29 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You should also note that for some minors you have to take specific courses.

Political science is not like that though: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1718.html

Economics kind of has guidelines: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1684.html

bellaaa says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:29 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Yep. I read somewhere that it's 24 units. So for me for example, I'm planning to take a minor in French. So in first year I'm taking 6 units, and for the other 18 units, either as electives or if I have trouble fitting them in, summer school
Yay! Me too! Yes, taking a minor that can help you out with your major is really nice. Or even if you're just really interested in the subject and you think it'll boost your GPA, go for it - shows well-roundedness too.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:33 PM   #6
bellaaa

ouu tht seems simple enough thanks
i really would rather do economics than poli sci
would tht go w/ a psych degree? or does it not matter?
what would tht even do for me in the future?
lol sry bout all the questions..im seriously clueless w/ this minor stuff =|
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:33 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ooooh really awesome ! It's actually weird for me.. since I'm in Honours Life Sci.. with a minor in French.. but French is like the air I breathe.. can't get rid of it.. and like you said.. it's something you really enjoy away from all the hardwork in science
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:34 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

It doesn't matter which one you take.. whichever one you're more interested in.. as I stated my example.. Life Sci .. and French are completely irelevant to one another.. but I can not be rid of French <3

bellaaa says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:35 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Haha, definitely. And I mean hey, we're in Canada, so French is good for something.

Minors don't necessarily have to "go well" with your major, they can be in anything honestly. It's upto you what you think you want to do. If you want to go with something that you think will help with your major, do it, but if not that's fine too.

bellaaa says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:35 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
It doesn't matter which one you take.. whichever one you're more interested in.. as I stated my example.. Life Sci .. and French are completely irelevant to one another.. but I can not be rid of French <3
French could be a good minor in Canada though. Being bilingual generally pays higher and you can find jobs easier. It's a very good asset to have.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:38 PM   #11
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaaa View Post
would tht go w/ a psych degree? or does it not matter?
|
The minor can go with any degree, so can definitely minor in economics with a psych degree.

bellaaa says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:39 PM   #12
bellaaa

hahaa yeah i went to a french immersion for like 3 years of my lifeeee !
i couldnt stick w/ it after they started teaching me history in french i was outta there Lol

but yeah thanks guys i just decided to do a minor in economics haha
and i guess im gonna take stats 1L03 in summer school ? =/
if its available....
anyway thanks again
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:44 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely true about being bilingual.. but to be honest, I didn't think of it that way, I just hope after so many years of French I'll be at the level of fluency.. otherwise it might be total waste .. maybe not

No problem bellaaa.
And hey you could minor in both even
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:49 PM   #14
bellaaa

:O
i could ???
howww omg telll !
LOL
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:50 PM   #15
bellaaa