MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless router in rez rooms fat~fat Residence & Housing 13 07-07-2009 06:09 PM
Setting up your degree (minor)? bellaaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 07-02-2009 10:32 PM
Setting up McMaster e-mail with entourage/outlook MightyMan General Discussion 2 09-05-2008 07:34 AM

Help setting up router on res

Old 01-09-2010 at 05:15 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Help setting up router on res
I can set it up just fine, but I can't access the configuration from http://192.168.0.1/
therefore I can't set up a password...

What am I missing?
Old 01-09-2010 at 05:18 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

by configuration you mean the router setup page? are you connected to the router? are you sure it's not 192.168.1.1 (that's the default on mine).

also, I think you need to register the router with your macid if you want to use the internet.
Old 01-09-2010 at 05:26 PM   #3
Juicebox

Yeah I mean 192.168.1.1
How do I register my router with my mac id?
Old 01-09-2010 at 05:42 PM   #4
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Yeah I mean 192.168.1.1
How do I register my router with my mac id?
If you go to the webpage for registering non-pc devices you can register your router to get an ip address, and therefore your PC will get 192.x.x.x ips and will give you a hardware firewall. Your connecting your lan port to the "WAN" connector on the router.
http://netman.mcmaster.ca/maconly/reg_nonpc.html

Or, you can connect it like so:

LAN port in residence --> (1/4) switch ports on router
computer1 -> (2/4) switch port on router
computer2 -> (3/4) switch port on router

this will give each computer a 130.113.x.x address and not need any setup of router / port forwarding, etc. this does not give you a hardware firewall.

Are you still having difficulties accessing the 192.168.1.1 setting page??? The username and password it asks for depends on the router model, for linksys i beleive username is "admin" with the password field empty, but again depends on the router and version. Check your documentation.

-Kevin

Last edited by kevinf : 01-09-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Juicebox says thanks to kevinf for this post.
Old 01-09-2010 at 07:36 PM   #5
Juicebox

Quote:
Or, you can connect it like so:

LAN port in residence --> (1/4) switch ports on router
computer1 -> (2/4) switch port on router
computer2 -> (3/4) switch port on router
Doing it this way, everything works, but I can't access the admin page and set up a WEP password for the router.

I guess I'll try the first method, do I get the mac address through IP config in cmd?
Old 01-09-2010 at 08:07 PM   #6
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Doing it this way, everything works, but I can't access the admin page and set up a WEP password for the router.

I guess I'll try the first method, do I get the mac address through IP config in cmd?
ipconfig /all will show you the "physical address" (eg: hardware mac id) of all network adapters on your computer,

to register the router with UTS you need to use the router's status page to find the device's id.

To access the 192.168.1.1 page on the router you have to have an ip address in that range... First plug in your computer into a switch port with nothing else connected. Reset your connection in windows to make sure you get a 192.168.1.x ip.
Visit the webpage for the router and make your changes.

If you are using method 2:
On one of the main pages should have an option to disable DHCP (this will force McMaster to give a you a 130.113.x.x IP instead of the router doing its job)... i forgot to mention this in my previous post, im surprised it worked and you got a mcmaster ip address as the router and mcmaster "fought" to give you an ip, router should have won.

Note: i assume you know how to manually set your IP in windows to 192.168.1.100 with gateway 192.168.1.1 in case you need to change your wireless settings in the future.
Old 01-14-2010 at 11:42 PM   #7
kowadogg

Liked: 0 Times

What kind of router is it? If it's Linksys then go to 192.168.1.1 and use the default un/pw which for both is just "admin".