MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
SFWR ENG 2FA3 - Discrete Mathematics and Logic II Ownaginatios 2nd Year Course Reviews 3 06-15-2015 09:43 AM
SFWR ENG 2DM3 - Discrete Mathematics and Logic Ownaginatios 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 06-05-2010 07:50 PM
SFWR ENG 2GA3 - The Digital Image Ownaginatios 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-29-2009 02:05 AM
Academic requisites for course SFWR ENG 2DA4? wendy0519 General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 07:45 PM
2da3 - Digital Logic crazy1291 Academics 17 11-23-2008 12:48 AM

SFWR ENG 2DA4 - Digital System Principles and Logic

Published by Ownaginatios
12-29-2009
Published by
Trolling ain't easy

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 80%

This course is available to only students enrolled in software engineering, and has a sort of parallel course with the same course code for computer and electrical engineers.

This course starts off with teaching the basics of Boolean algebra, gradually moving onto K-Maps, memory devices (i.e. flip-flops and registers), and then into finite state machines. There is also a component at the end on computer processor architecture with a final bonus project (worth ~5%), but that's optional.

The break down is 5 assignments worth 10% collectively, 5 labs worth 10% collectively (with possible bonus marks), a 30% midterm and a 50% final. There is also the aforementioned bonus project worth around 5% if you so choose to do it. The exam at the end wasn't too difficult if you studied, but it was definitely a lot of work (most of the class was working up to the very last second).

The labs are all done using a piece of software called Quartus in a programming language called 'Verilog', which maps code to a provided board for logic circuit simulation. It's a bit tedious at first to learn, but in the end, it's not that bad. The only real complaints I had with the labs were with the prelabs, which were usually ridiculously long (sometimes actually encompassing the whole lab itself). It was still doable though.

Overall, I actually really liked this course. A lot of the stuff we learned wasn't difficult to understand, and is very applicable to the real world. To anyone taking this course in the future, I recommend doing the bonus project at the end. It teaches you how every modern computer processor fundamentally works, and at the same time, teaches you to a degree how to do assembly code. From what I hear, this is good preparation for the course SFWR ENG 3GA3, which is all about programming processors at the assembly level.

However, this course may drastically change next year due to the fact that the current professor teaching it will most likely be leaving. Hopefully it will still stay as I described above.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for SFWR ENG 2DA4 - Digital System Principles and Logic!

Old 08-11-2010 at 06:39 AM   #2
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times
Who was the prof when you took this course?
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:12 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Amer Samarah. He was only a temporary professor and is gone now. I think you have Ryan Leduc this time. I've never had him before, but according to ratemyprofessors.ca, he's pretty decent.
Old 09-14-2010 at 04:04 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times
You mentioned the difficulty of labs. But how did you personally find the course content? Also did you use the book too much or the prof's notes?
Old 09-13-2011 at 11:57 PM   #5
broussar

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Leduc was a great prof, awesome course, labs were difficult

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search