MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Theory on the BB Playbook Crzyrio Computers & Tech 8 10-17-2012 02:51 AM
Why The Playbook is Actually a Win mike_302 Computers & Tech 40 09-12-2012 12:40 PM
RIM Playbook Video (IN ACTION) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 10-26-2010 01:37 AM

should i get a bb playbook?

Old 12-29-2012 at 11:15 AM   #1
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

should i get a bb playbook?
I am thinking of buying a blackberry playbook cause i want a tablet and because it is cheap. I don't like lugging my laptop around cause sometimes i can't always find a place to plug it. Do you think this is a good idea?
Old 12-29-2012 at 11:21 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I am thinking of buying a blackberry playbook cause i want a tablet and because it is cheap. I don't like lugging my laptop around cause sometimes i can't always find a place to plug it. Do you think this is a good idea?
My parents got one for free, and after using it a bit, I definitely wouldn't spend money on it.
It takes several minutes to start up, the touch screen isn't very responsive, sometimes it just won't connect to wireless internet and I find it really unreliable.

rpg51 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 12-29-2012 at 11:48 AM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Nexus 7.

$209 for 16GB model

rpg51 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.

*spark*, Andrew A like this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 03:25 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Hi Matthew,

As starfish and BD pointed out..there is honestly no need to pursue the BB Playbook when there are better alternatives out there. If you can get the 16GB Nexus 7 for a good price, then go for it. If you cannot, feel free to buy the 8GB version, and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you'll be using it mainly for school, you can use cloud services such as DropBox to store your documents online and such..which can help with the low storage space on your tablet. If you need anymore help, advice..or need any more suggestions..feel free to ask.

With best regards,

Humza
Old 12-29-2012 at 04:51 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

inb4 mike_302, the McMaster Playbook sales representative.

Old 12-29-2012 at 04:53 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
inb4 mike_302, the McMaster Playbook sales representative.
Haha. I forgot who was the only person who supports the BB Playbook, otherwise I would've said that before you Dillon!
Old 12-29-2012 at 04:57 PM   #7
rpg51
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Hi Matthew,

As starfish and BD pointed out..there is honestly no need to pursue the BB Playbook when there are better alternatives out there. If you can get the 16GB Nexus 7 for a good price, then go for it. If you cannot, feel free to buy the 8GB version, and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you'll be using it mainly for school, you can use cloud services such as DropBox to store your documents online and such..which can help with the low storage space on your tablet. If you need anymore help, advice..or need any more suggestions..feel free to ask.

With best regards,

Humza
I went on google play and the total came up to be 255 bucks (which includes taxes and shipping) for the nexus 7 for a 16 gb model. I can also go to future shop and pick up a 32 gb playbook for around 170. Is it worth paying an extra 85 bucks for a nexus 7? I am just using it for school. Not much of a gamer. As long as i can read my notes, browse the internet and watch movies/shows on it I would be pretty happy. The screen sizes are the same. although i admit the nexus 7 looks better. Should I still get the Nexus 7?
Old 12-29-2012 at 05:03 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
I went on google play and the total came up to be 255 bucks (which includes taxes and shipping) for the nexus 7 for a 16 gb model. I can also go to future shop and pick up a 32 gb playbook for around 170. Is it worth paying an extra 85 bucks for a nexus 7? I am just using it for school. Not much of a gamer. As long as i can read my notes, browse the internet and watch movies/shows on it I would be pretty happy. The screen sizes are the same. although i admit the nexus 7 looks better. Should I still get the Nexus 7?
Yes. Overall, if you think about it. If you want a device which is going to provide you with:
Reliability
Stability
Decent processing speed
A wide selection of apps to choose from for any purpose (if your mind changes later on..which it might)
then...
You should go with the Nexus 7 over the BB PlayBook.

Andrew A likes this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 06:37 PM   #9
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Yes. Overall, if you think about it. If you want a device which is going to provide you with:
Reliability
Stability
Decent processing speed
A wide selection of apps to choose from for any purpose (if your mind changes later on..which it might)
then...
You should go with the Nexus 7 over the BB PlayBook.
Personally, I've never had a problem with the reliability, stability, or processing speed of the Playbook. The boot time's a bit long, though not as long as it used to be. And I've never had any problems with the touch screen responsiveness like mentioned above.

Another point to be made: the Playbook is supposed to get an update to the BB10 operating system shortly after the BB10 phones are released early next year.
Old 12-29-2012 at 07:06 PM   #10
rpg51
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Personally, I've never had a problem with the reliability, stability, or processing speed of the Playbook. The boot time's a bit long, though not as long as it used to be. And I've never had any problems with the touch screen responsiveness like mentioned above.

Another point to be made: the Playbook is supposed to get an update to the BB10 operating system shortly after the BB10 phones are released early next year.
do you use it for school? is it easy to read powerpoint slides notes off of it? and does it get slow if you open to many windows?
Old 12-29-2012 at 07:36 PM   #11
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
do you use it for school? is it easy to read powerpoint slides notes off of it? and does it get slow if you open to many windows?
I occasionally use it for school, yes, though I take most of my notes by hand. I haven't tried powerpoint files on it, but pdf notes are fine. The default program for pdf files - Adobe Reader - wasn't great, but there's a free one - qPDF Viewer (an Android app) that has more features (the paid version lets you make annotations as well).

I've never had it get slow by opening too many windows, and trust me, I tried. The default setting is to have other apps paused when another app is fullscreen (unless it's something like music), though that can be disabled.
Old 12-29-2012 at 08:17 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Android is more flexible and reliable. Will RIM eventually drop support for software updates for this device? Maybe. Will google? Probably not. Nexus is a better investment overall.

Regarding functionality, Android offers you a wider range of flexibility in terms of apps and especially niche features (well, apps), which you're less likely to get from Appworld. Android has very good pdf support, direct downloading, and note taking capabilities (well, as far as tablets go). I don't have very much experience with the Playbook, so I won't comment on that.

I had a faulty charge/data cable, and one email complaint later I was shipped a replacement cable + charger no questions asked.

I think when it comes down to it, if you're a smartie pants, both are 'crack/jailbreak/flashable' to remove many restrictions.
Old 12-29-2012 at 09:13 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

never had an issue with my playbook

other than the boot time (which doesnt bother me since i tend to just put it on standby)
Old 12-29-2012 at 09:23 PM   #14
ak21

Liked: 14 Times

My brother got a Blackberry Playbook and had it for a while, I used it, and it doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be.

1)The software seems stable, and functional so far no problems.
2)Touchscreen; not sure what people mean by it being unresponsive...its pretty responsive from my use
3)Not sure what others mean by it being slow, it has comparative specs to other tablets, and seems responsive.

The bad:
1)The app store I don't like that much, not much variety especially when it comes to trying to get free apps/games; its disappointing.
2)Froze once from my brothers 2 month or so usage, however it never happened again so not sure if its a problem.

The Nexus 7, is a better option, its a Quad-core instead of a Dual-core; I also prefer the Android O.S rather then the blackberry OS. However its up to you if you would want to pay the extra to get a Nexus; just search more around and find out however the Playbook to me seems like a good option for your needs.
Old 12-29-2012 at 10:45 PM   #15
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Lol, I've come to conclude that when this question (or any related) gets asked in a public forum, the OP just hasn't bothered to do their own research (or perhaps they're just beginning) because it's clear that every party will argue their platform to the death... Even me: Let's get that cleared out of the way right away.

That being said, I'm not going to bother explaining why I prefer one, or why everyone that wants to bash my preferred option is being silly: I'll just let the inconsistent messages (contradicting statements of "it does this", and "actually, it doesn't do that") tell the tale itself. When I did my research ahead of purchasing my tablet, I saw similar thread arguments that went on for days, and I read tonnes of reviews, and I learned about the technology behind each one of them, down to who used which hardware components and how the processors are manufactured... That's how I made my decision on my $150+ purchase, that's why I feel strongly about my decision, and I'm happy with it.

Good luck choosing a tablet!

{lol, I didn't even ONCE say the brand or name of any tablet product...}

zwitter likes this.