MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phys 1L03 neeti10 Academics 3 09-22-2010 09:53 AM
Shout Out From Andrew Ko :) andrewklko Introduce Yourself 1 09-09-2010 07:39 PM
Eng Phys cddbc Academics 8 01-26-2010 08:43 PM
Med Phys 1e03 Kamiee Academics 5 10-24-2009 10:21 AM
Eng Phys 2a04 AnguishedEnd Academics 2 08-23-2009 12:18 AM

shout out to all who got into eng phys!!!

Old 06-13-2010 at 10:46 PM   #1
mehtad5

Liked: 0 Times

shout out to all who got into eng phys!!!
hey!

Just thought that ill congratulate all who got into eng phys... way to go!! This thread is so that I can get to know some of my fellow classmates cause I had the hardest time finding anyone who chose eng phys.... are any of you out there??? lol...

you can reply to this post or send me a message but I wud prefer it if u reply to this post as this way more students can get in touch with each other!
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:05 PM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Don't wanna be an ass, but it's not terribly hard to get into Eng Phys.

Regardless, 'grats.

Old 06-13-2010 at 11:19 PM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post

Regardless, 'grats.
It IS pretty hard to stay in Eng Phys though. I hate the misconception that the programs with the lower admission averages are somehow "stupier" or "easier" than the ones with higher admission averages. Some programs just don't have that high an enrolment rate and want to increase interest/potential students. I'm in Eng Phys and Society and both programs had an admission average of ~4.0 in my year and you'd think if they were really that "easy" they'd have the highest enrolment rate. However both have generally 50-60 people every year.

I'm guessing thats not what you meant by your post but I've seen a lot of "easy engineering program" posts on here and they all generally revert to "well so and so has such-and-such admission average, so it MUSt be harder."

end rant.
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:27 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It IS pretty hard to stay in Eng Phys though. I hate the misconception that the programs with the lower admission averages are somehow "stupier" or "easier" than the ones with higher admission averages. Some programs just don't have that high an enrolment rate and want to increase interest/potential students. I'm in Eng Phys and Society and both programs had an admission average of ~4.0 in my year and you'd think if they were really that "easy" they'd have the highest enrolment rate. However both have generally 50-60 people every year.

I'm guessing thats not what you meant by your post but I've seen a lot of "easy engineering program" posts on here and they all generally revert to "well so and so has such-and-such admission average, so it MUSt be harder."

end rant.
I...don't know of anyone who thinks Eng Phys is an easy department.

With respect to the bolded portion, I'm currently under the impression that level II Eng Phys students are either i) "stupid" since it was their last choice and couldn't get into anything else, or ii) "smart", since they knew what they were getting into and are prepared for it.

...Though Society is pretty easy so far. It's true I've only experienced a year of it, but I can't imagine it becoming anywhere near as difficult as my technical courses.

But yeah, anyone who's said any Engineering program was actually "easy" probably either meant they considered it easy just because they were interested in it, it appealed to them, or they happened to make sense of it. No one could ever truthfully say that any Eng program is universally "easy".
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:39 PM   #5
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post

Regardless, 'grats.
lol, missed the point of the thread.
Old 06-14-2010 at 12:15 AM   #6
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
No one takes the time to read these days. sheesh.
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:29 AM   #7
erinn

Liked: 2 Times

w00t phys!!

ps. congrats to anyone who got into second year eng in general, we made it!!
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:36 AM   #8
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I...don't know of anyone who thinks Eng Phys is an easy department.
No, but i do know a LOT of people who assume I'm in it because I didn't get into my first choice/ assume I'm in Society because I didn't get into management, neither of which are true. To be fair though, most of those people are first years or from high school, when I help out with those Eng Phys/Society orientation programs. That always bugs me SO much, probably more than it should haha...
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:10 AM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
No, but i do know a LOT of people who assume I'm in it because I didn't get into my first choice/ assume I'm in Society because I didn't get into management, neither of which are true
Sorry for succumbing to the stereotype. Materials was my last choice, but after seeing the work the other programs do I don't regret it at all. I also decided to do Society with a business minor when I realized that I wasn't getting into Management, but I decided this before marks were out and I got formally rejected. Again though, I don't regret it at all since Society's awesome. :d
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:22 AM   #10
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:

end rant.
For somebody minoring in philosophy, you don't seem to be capable of reading. At no point did I ever say the program is hard-- hell, I know it's one of the most intense (if not [i[the[/i] most intense) eng program. I'd love to do nuke eng if I could do physics for the life of me, but I can't.

'Grats to those who stay in, but I meant what I said as in "it's easy to get in because nobody really wants it".

Quote:
rly? Seems to me as though congratulations seem to be a point of the thread, as highlighted by the TC congratulating others. And I did, too.

Last edited by eullwm : 06-14-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:36 AM   #11
Geek
Account Disabled by User

For someone who's made it into their 3rd year of engineering, you seem to be remarkably good at missing the point. Notice the title: shout out to all who got into eng phys?? Not once there did I see a need for a snarky comment on whether or not it is difficult to make it into Eng Phys. The OP was looking to meet his classmates and talk about the upcoming year.
Congratulations on sounding like an arrogant asshat.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:41 PM   #12
Jerryk

Liked: 0 Times

Nice disses.

Totally.

Awsome.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:51 PM   #13
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote: