MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Club: McMaster's Autism Assistance Tutoring Program (Executive Positions Avail) Rene Clubs & Groups 6 09-25-2010 01:02 PM
Anything special today? ShesTheMan Academics 7 08-16-2010 12:54 AM
Special Accommodation Allana:) Residence & Housing 4 05-28-2010 02:16 PM

Sibs with Autism/special needs?

Old 09-28-2010 at 10:38 PM   #1
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

Sibs with Autism/special needs?
Just wondering if anyone else has a brother or sister with special needs. I know that around 1/165 kids are born with an Autism spectrum disorder, so there have to be lots of siblings out there too, right? My sister's autistic, and I'd love to hear from people in the same situation. What's your sibling like? Do you keep in touch now that you're at university? And what are your plans for the future?
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:52 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I have a cousin with asperger syndrome; does that count?
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:56 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

My brother is being diagnosed in November. We're not 100% sure he is autistic yet, but he seems to fit most of the criteria, so yeah, it's probably autism.
He's turning 4 next month and doesn't talk, likes to play alone, flap his arms (which are all symptoms of autism), but then he does respond to his name, makes eye contact, is very affectionate, etc.

We actually started covering Autism in my Abnormal Psychology class today, and I think what he might have is Asperger's Syndrome, which is a strand of Autism Spectrum Disorder. He fits those criteria a lot better than just plain old Autism, except for the speaking part, lol.

I live at home still, so I see him all the time. I babysit him, play with him, etc.
The only thing that is kind of annoying, I guess you could say, is that he is completely dependent on his family, so we always have to be there to change him, dress him, feed him, etc etc.

Old 09-28-2010 at 11:10 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Not autism, but special needs: My brother was tested for autism as a kid, but apparently doesn't have it. He does have some significant brain damage though, which is most notable in his speech. He spent his entire school career in special ed, and is many years behind others his age, and always will be. He just got his first apartment with his fiancee a few months ago, so he does alright for himself.

On the plus side for him, the part of his brain that was damaged is also the part that controls pain response. He has a HUGE pain tolerance, so he can push himself harder, for longer, which works out great for him at work (he does labour/contracting).
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:13 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
... He does have some significant brain damage though...
Was he deprived of oxygen during birth or something?
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:16 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Was he deprived of oxygen during birth or something?
He was adopted from abusive parents. Suffered some head trauma while he was still under a year old.
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:18 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
He was adopted from abusive parents. Suffered some head trauma while he was still under a year old.
0________o

Wow wtf... good to hear he turned out pretty okay in the end.
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:19 PM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
0________o

Wow wtf... good to hear he turned out pretty okay in the end.
Yeah, people are ****ed up.
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:24 PM   #9
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm on the spectrum, I have Sensory Integration Dysfunction, it was harder when I was littler because it affects my fine and gross motor skills, and sensory perception (I would be in tears if I heard a sound or noise that wasn't enjoyable). After occupational therapy I'm fine now for the most part, I just need a laptop to write notes and I use a computer for tests thanks to the CSD. So through my own lens, depending on the nature of the spectrum disorder (mine was very mild), you can get a lot of support and help with development.

From a sibling perspective my sister has severe ADHD, while not on the spectrum it can be very difficult. People with ADHD are about four years behind in emotional maturity, so even though she is 17 she sometimes behaves like she is 13. We just have to be really patient and not lose our temper when she's upset, because she gets even more upset and things don't become pretty. However, me and my sister still keep in contact, and she loves it when I'm home, we spend time together and get along great. We go shopping together, have lunch, play guitar hero, so even though it can be hard to live with sometimes, we still get along great.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-29-2010 at 12:16 AM   #10
Jeff W
MSU VP Finance 2012-2013

Liked: 0 Times

My brother has autism, and it's worked out okay. He's high functioning, so most of the time people don't notice, but he has trouble with new situations and is very nervous meeting people, even for the third or fourth time. He also struggles with understanding metaphors, sarcasm, etc., basically any type of speech where intonation and context change the meaning of the words.

He went to high school in a program designed for autistic/Asperger's students, came out with high honours, and then completed a college certificate program and a diploma program. He's still v ery dependent on our parents for assistance, but he's hoping to find a job and move out on his own in the next few months.

At times it's been difficult and frustrating, but at his end of the spectrum it's mostly a matter of being clear and patient in communicating. I know other people are in different situations; my brother has many friends who have much more severe degrees of autism. For us, it's been a challenge, but we've managed to make it work.
Old 09-29-2010 at 06:28 PM   #11
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

It's great to hear from everyone, and so encouraging to hear so many success stories! My sister's 17 and still in high school (till she's 21). We chat on msn and skype. I'm not sure if she'll ever be able to be completely independent and living on her own, but I'm hoping she'll fit into an assisted living type thing. The only problem is that there aren't very many opportunities for this type of living right now.

Jeff - what high school did your brother go to? That program sounds interesting. How many people were in it?
Old 09-30-2010 at 07:04 AM   #12
Jeff W
MSU VP Finance 2012-2013

Liked: 0 Times

It was Jacob Hespeler Secondary in Cambridge. I don't know much about it, but I think there were maybe 20 students from across the spectrum. The core teacher for the program was (and still is) fantastic, and the rest of the faculty at the school were extremely supportive. Worth checking out, although the transition can be hard. My brother was homeschooled for a couple years before high school, so getting back into the system was a bit of a shock, but it was worth it.