MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow Day lorend MacInsiders Announcements 3 02-01-2008 01:49 PM
Snow Day Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 02-14-2007 11:27 PM
Finally a snow day williamhend General Discussion 1 02-14-2007 11:21 AM
MASSIVE SNOW FALL = Snow Day? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 02-14-2007 10:57 AM
Snow Day madison817 General Discussion 2 01-17-2007 07:31 AM

Snow Day?

Old 02-22-2010 at 09:48 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There was a snow day 2 years ago. A bus load of us got all the way to school, to find out as we were GETTING OFF THE BUS that school was cancelled. Who makes that kind of decision at 8:25am? Ugh.

There were pamphlets from Compass about emergency situations and cancellations (not sure if they are there anymore) that said snow days will be announced by 5:30am. Total BS.
Old 02-22-2010 at 09:55 PM   #17
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Alright, I stand corrected. Hell apparently froze over 2 years ago.

Anyways even if there was a snow day it would cause more chaos then good in the long run in terms of labs/midterms etc...haha.
Old 02-22-2010 at 10:08 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Had 2DP4 midterm tonight... fun stuff.
Old 02-23-2010 at 11:01 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Psych 1XX3. I was out of the room at 7:45, bolt from t28 to the Go bus for the 7:50, only to find the bus was 40 mins late. Plus I had runnners on, because I stay up here for midterms, and my boots hurt after 12 hours.

Captain George...lol, I like that one. I wonder what other names he gets called.
Old 02-24-2010 at 06:27 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

You haven't seen snow till your two story house has been snowed in.

Geez, next thing you know, people will be asking when the army's coming in to save us...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-24-2010 at 07:00 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
You haven't seen snow till your two story house has been snowed in.

Geez, next thing you know, people will be asking when the army's coming in to save us...
Well... when IS the army coming in to save us??
Old 02-25-2010 at 12:54 PM   #22
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Up to 17 cm of snow by morning

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/728162

Hamilton, Halton and Niagara are in for a major winter hit.

There’s a winter storm warning up for Niagara and Haldimand-Norfolk as a storm bears down on the western end of Lake Ontario and the north shore of Lake Erie.

QEW traffic cameras: Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharies

Local conditions: Environment Canada

Traffic cameras When it is over late Friday morning, Hamilton could be digging out from under a total of 17 cm of snow. Niagara is in line for 25 cm.

Environment Canada says the worst of it will hit this evening, bringing winds gusting to 70 km/h and dangerous whiteout conditions on the roads.

The storm comes on top of 9 cm of snow Hamilton and surrounding area got Tuesday.

Environment Canada predicted strong winds and blowing snow will hit Hamilton and the Niagara Escarpment late this afternoon.

The storm will intensify and affect most of southern Ontario today, tonight and into the Friday rush hour morning.

The snow coming with it will be light at first over most regions and get heavy tonight.

Tonight and tomorrow morning should be the worst of it for Hamilton and areas adjacent to western Ontario, especially the escarpment, as lake effect snow moves in.

There is a winter storm warning for Niagara and Dunnville-Haldimand regions.

The storm, which is developing over the eastern seaboard, is expected to intensify as it moves north and is already hammering New York State.

Snow day tomorrow ftw

<- EDIT: Woot, just turned into an Elite Member. :p

Last edited by Kevin S : 02-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.

John H, marieeeeeee, Matthew K all say thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:04 PM   #23
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

wahoo, time for donuts and general sliding about in parking lots
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:26 PM   #24
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post

Environment Canada says the worst of it will hit this evening, bringing winds gusting to 70 km/h and dangerous whiteout conditions on the roads.

Environment Canada predicted strong winds and blowing snow will hit Hamilton and the Niagara Escarpment late this afternoon.

The storm will intensify and affect most of southern Ontario today, tonight and into the Friday rush hour morning.

The snow coming with it will be light at first over most regions and get heavy tonight.

Tonight and tomorrow morning should be the worst of it for Hamilton and areas adjacent to western Ontario, especially the escarpment, as lake effect snow moves in.
Damn lol...what about people writing midterms or who have evening classes tonight?

Last edited by Matthew K : 02-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:29 PM   #25
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Damn lol...what about people writing midterms or who have evening classes tonight?
I have class from 6 to 9pm today (and every day for that matter, yay B.Tech degree completion!)

I'm heading to campus now, hopefully I won't have to live at ETB tonight.
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:57 PM   #26
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

is it offical? There is a snow day tomorrow?
Old 02-25-2010 at 02:02 PM   #27
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
is it offical? There is a snow day tomorrow?
Why would they call a snow day when there isn't even any snow yet?

Taunton likes this.
Old 02-25-2010 at 04:08 PM   #28
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
No. Captain George has to make the call on snow days.
The school Provost (Ilene Busch-Vishniac) actually makes the call on Snow Days.

for those of you who are interested, here's McMaster's emergency storm policy (i.e. snow day info): http://www.mcmaster.ca/policy/Employ...y_polic y.pdf

sniderj says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 02-25-2010 at 04:13 PM   #29
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't get your hopes up guys! There was many times 2 winters ago that I thought it would definately be a snow day, but it wasn't. Snow days in uni are sooo rare. It's good to hope But don't get too excited.
Old 02-25-2010 at 06:29 PM   #30
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Brutal morning commute ahead
Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report typo or correction
More Stories
• SPCA board resigns en masse
• Bernard advances to curling’s gold-medal ...
• Blood-pressure cuff therapy found to ...
• Brutal morning commute ahead
• Bed bugs take up residence in Hamilton
• Vale Inco, union to meet with mediator
• Site warns social networkers against ...
• Bomb scare at city courthouse
• Gold is in their grasp
• Build us a safer track, IOC says to ...
Up to 17 cm of snow expected overnight
February 25, 2010
JOHN BURMAN
The OPP is warning travellers to be careful as a heavy winter storm brings whiteout conditions and slippery roads into our area.

Snow began falling around Hamilton and Niagara early this morning and Environment Canada says the worst of it is going to arrive in the middle of the night in time to create hazardous road conditions for morning commuters.

The OPP said at noon that drivers should use extreme caution — by reducing their speed, and by leaving extra time in order to safely travel to work.

Forecasters say most of the total 17 cm of snow forecast for Hamilton and Halton will fall between 2 and 7 a.m.

QEW traffic cameras: Burlington, Hamilton, St. Catharies

Local conditions: Environment Canada

Niagara is in line for 25 cm.

The storm comes on top of 9 cm of snow Hamilton and surrounding area got Tuesday.

There is a winter storm warning for Niagara and Dunnville-Haldimand regions.

The storm, which is developing over the eastern seaboard, is expected to intensify as it moves north and is already hammering New York State.
Of course, however, McMaster will be open. And I'll have to leave extra early in the morning to make sure I arrive in time for my 8:30 am test. And yet even if the University doesn't close and the School Board does there is no provision for those students who can't reasonably get to campus, although they treat their staff with respect and make provisions for them. Ugh.