MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthro 1A03 marks.. slobnoname Academics 14 01-12-2010 07:57 PM
1st Yr Life Sci Marks - not posted? resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 01-01-2010 02:35 PM
when are marks posted? soltintal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-11-2009 01:51 PM

So the Bio 1A03 written answer marks were posted up...

Old 11-10-2011 at 09:32 PM   #1
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

So the Bio 1A03 written answer marks were posted up...
...And I got a 60%. I'm really really depressed right now. :|

At first I was angry at the fact that they don't give part marks, but now I'm just so upset. o.o It's the lowest mark I've ever gotten (from what I can remember), and I keep thinking that it's going to prevent me from getting a "good" specialization for 2nd year. Do I still have a chance to pull up my mark? I mean I got ~85 on the multiple choice, but the marks are posted individually. I don't know if both sections are worth the same or if one is worth more than the other. We have a midterm coming up next week and then the finals. I was aiming for at least an 80 in the course but after seeing this, my morale just dropped. I feel so...
Old 11-10-2011 at 09:36 PM   #2
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Last year the written answer were out of 15 and multiple choice were out of 30. So if you got 25/30 on m/c and 9/15 on written answer, overall you would have 34/45 around a 76%...which isn't bad! Assuming the test was worth 15% you only lost like 4% of your final grade. Also aren't lab marks worth quite a bit in 1A03, I wouldn't be feeling depressed just yet. You have 85% of your course left to do well in

Driftking24 says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 11-10-2011 at 10:16 PM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Don't worry. I remember last year a lot of people were in the same boat...low written answer marks...Just figure out what your TA is marking for and try not to make the same mistakes.

Driftking24 says thanks to Watoko for this post.
Old 11-11-2011 at 10:54 AM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

They were very picky, but just think, some people i know got 1/15 2/15, etc

Driftking24 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 11-11-2011 at 11:47 AM   #5
oconne

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftking24 View Post
...And I got a 60%. I'm really really depressed right now. :|

At first I was angry at the fact that they don't give part marks, but now I'm just so upset. o.o It's the lowest mark I've ever gotten (from what I can remember), and I keep thinking that it's going to prevent me from getting a "good" specialization for 2nd year. Do I still have a chance to pull up my mark? I mean I got ~85 on the multiple choice, but the marks are posted individually. I don't know if both sections are worth the same or if one is worth more than the other. We have a midterm coming up next week and then the finals. I was aiming for at least an 80 in the course but after seeing this, my morale just dropped. I feel so...
Don't worry! I got 60's on so many of my middys first year and ended up with a 10.1 average. It is a real bummer though, I know the feeling. don't let it discourage you though, there's so many ways you can pull up your marks.

Driftking24 says thanks to oconne for this post.
Old 11-11-2011 at 05:28 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Don't worry, that class isn't indicative of your intelligence. It just tests your ability to memorize notes.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 11-11-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Driftking24 says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

Old 11-11-2011 at 05:36 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Bio 1A03 written answer is absolutely horrible. Everyone I knew in my first year did poorly on it.

Driftking24 says thanks to arathbon for this post.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 11-11-2011 at 11:29 PM   #8
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Don't worry, that class isn't indicative of your intelligence. It just tests your ability to memorize notes.
>__>
Really?

I felt second year bio and onwards was far worse in terms of memorization. First year bio was okay for me.

At one point in Cell bio I wasn't even memorizing English sentences, just random letters which stood for enzymes in a specific order. And then nucleus now is similar except harder.

Driftking24 says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 11-11-2011 at 11:44 PM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

nucleus is dumb, cell bio was so much better

Driftking24 says thanks to MCHEDDENITE for this post.
Old 11-12-2011 at 12:04 AM   #10
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
>__>
Really?

I felt second year bio and onwards was far worse in terms of memorization. First year bio was okay for me.

At one point in Cell bio I wasn't even memorizing English sentences, just random letters which stood for enzymes in a specific order. And then nucleus now is similar except harder.
Unfortunately I'm limited in my experiences with bio courses to 1A03/1M03 (atm at least) That sounds pretty sh*tty though.

What I was getting at is that any course that is based on memorization doesn't really gauge your intelligence so OP shouldn't be too worried about how this course reflects on his ability to do well (so long as he don't take too many similar courses in the future).

Driftking24 says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 11-12-2011 at 02:58 AM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

short answer was dumb. kajuira spent so much time on real world examples and stuff which didnt even appear. the cell organelle question was brutal lol. but at least the multiple choice was a joke

Driftking24 says thanks to Silver for this post.

MacPack likes this.
Old 11-12-2011 at 10:12 AM   #12
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
short answer was dumb. kajuira spent so much time on real world examples and stuff which didnt even appear. the cell organelle question was brutal lol. but at least the multiple choice was a joke
I agree with these words.

Driftking24 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 11-12-2011 at 11:28 AM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
>__>
Really?

lol. Part of the reason I dind't do Mol Bio was I like my alphabet to go A, B, C...A! Not AaGalpha, BBT, DEF, PDE... Phosphorylation!

Driftking24 says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 11-12-2011 at 01:35 PM   #14
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

problem? *trollface*

Driftking24 says thanks to mk90 for this post.
Old 11-12-2011 at 02:23 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

When I took the course, the head TA or whatever had tried to tell Kajiura the marking was unfair and she refused to change it...so don't necessarily blame the TAs, if the past is any indication then they were just following the marking scheme she made. If most people did poorly, then this is probably the case.

Driftking24 says thanks to nerual for this post.

MacPack likes this.