MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paying with OSAP procedures? chanduru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-24-2010 08:36 PM
Im so confused about what to do with OSAP MariaQ Financial Aid 1 07-28-2010 09:28 PM
Paying your fee cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-27-2010 01:49 PM
Confused with OSAP... need help kashmons Financial Aid 5 12-19-2009 03:33 PM
HELP! Confused about Paying for Off-Campus Rent lampk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-10-2008 01:08 PM

So confused about osap/paying

Old 08-29-2010 at 11:34 AM   #1
clouds

Liked: 1 Time

So confused about osap/paying
Ok Im going to live off-campus residense and im too far away right now to pick up OSAP. So I want to understand this before I go. My tuition costs $9000 and Im thinking about getting a $2000 off campus meal card, now for OSAP on the website they said they will give me $12000 and $3000 of that is in grants.

On my payment agreement after checking OSAP and mcmaster entrance scholarship it says Balancing forward about $4000, So is that what I dont have to pay or I do have to pay?

Im confused also because I got an email from mcmaster OSAP saying if you dont come pick up the OSAP documents early you may lose loans and grants, but I was planning on getting OSAP documents on regular release sept 7 - 15. Lastly It says tuition is due september 1st, and if Im going to pick up osap later on to pay my tuition then would I be getting late payment charges?
Old 08-29-2010 at 11:57 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds View Post
Ok Im going to live off-campus residense and im too far away right now to pick up OSAP. So I want to understand this before I go. My tuition costs $9000 and Im thinking about getting a $2000 off campus meal card, now for OSAP on the website they said they will give me $12000 and $3000 of that is in grants.

On my payment agreement after checking OSAP and mcmaster entrance scholarship it says Balancing forward about $4000, So is that what I dont have to pay or I do have to pay?

Im confused also because I got an email from mcmaster OSAP saying if you dont come pick up the OSAP documents early you may lose loans and grants, but I was planning on getting OSAP documents on regular release sept 7 - 15. Lastly It says tuition is due september 1st, and if Im going to pick up osap later on to pay my tuition then would I be getting late payment charges?
Yes, "Balance Forward" is what you have to pay. There is also a "Due Date" in your payment agreement where you have to pay the "Balance Forward" amount by.

As long as you pick it up before September 15th you'll be fine. OSAP has already been deducted form your Tuition, McMaster just wants you to forward the OSAP by September 15th.

clouds likes this.
Old 08-29-2010 at 12:00 PM   #3
clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yes, "Balance Forward" is what you have to pay. There is also a "Due Date" in your payment agreement where you have to pay the "Balance Forward" amount by.

As long as you pick it up before September 15th you'll be fine. OSAP has already been deducted form your Tuition, McMaster just wants you to forward the OSAP by September 15th.

Ok so if my 60% september OSAP covers that Balance forward, then I guess I wont have to pay anything after getting the OSAP documents?

Thx for your help
Old 08-29-2010 at 12:03 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ok so if my 60% september OSAP covers that Balance forward, then I guess I wont have to pay anything after getting the OSAP documents?

Thx for your help
The OSAP was already deducted from your tuition.

All you have to know is: Pay the Balance Forward by the Due Date. If there is a number in the balance forward then you have to pay that out of your own pocket.
Old 08-29-2010 at 01:59 PM   #5
clouds

O wow I should have read it again before I posted, actually it says installment amount $4260, and Balance forward $0.00, so since im using OSAP Flex plan, I guess my first OSAP installment covers the 60% I have to pay in september fully and the second 40% installment for OSAP will be used in January? Lastly, since OSAP said theyre giving me $12000 and my tuition is only $9000, what happens to that last $3000.

EDIT:Sry for so many questions, but Also I didnt sign up for an offcampus meal card yet, if I sign up, how would I get OSAP to cover it too.

Last edited by clouds : 08-29-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2010 at 02:09 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
O wow I should have read it again before I posted, actually it says installment amount $4260, and Balance forward $0.00, so since im using OSAP Flex plan, I guess my first OSAP installment covers the 60% I have to pay in september fully and the second 40% installment for OSAP will be used in January? Lastly, since OSAP said theyre giving me $12000 and my tuition is only $9000, what happens to that last $3000.

EDIT:Sry for so many questions, but Also I didnt sign up for an offcampus meal card yet, if I sign up, how would I get OSAP to cover it too.
The extra money will be deposited in your bank account. Make sure to bring a cheque or direct deposit information (obtained from your bank).

You should note that you won't get the full 3000$. All oustanding balances are charged interest on the last day of every month (1.2%).

You can't get OSAP to pay of your off-campus meal card directly. You have to pay for your meal card via credit card (I think Interac works too, it says on the website). So it has to come out of your pocket first.