MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guys. Guys. Kitten Live Stream. Amaryll General Discussion 7 11-18-2012 10:27 AM
Worst thing you did to someone? bloodywarz General Discussion 73 09-18-2010 11:20 AM
What is the #1 thing you need right now? Rossclot General Discussion 94 02-04-2010 09:25 AM
I don't get the whole textbook thing..? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-18-2009 11:32 PM
HSR sticker thing jordanrogers General Discussion 18 06-29-2009 01:42 AM

So what do you guys think about the Umentioned Mac thing

Old 12-18-2012 at 10:03 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

So what do you guys think about the Umentioned Mac thing
on facebook?

I think it's adorable..
Some of the posts are so cute,
some are really sweet (the one about the lady at tims made me smile)
and others just plain entertaining.

javeda5, toocute like this.
Old 12-18-2012 at 11:39 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

It's a fad that'll burn out just as Likealittle did, but uMentioned Mac is great

...at highlighting the difference between what's okay in reality versus what's okay online. Of course reading about it is cute, but don't kid yourself-- if you're a girl and a stranger approached you with a line you found adorable on uMentioned Mac, it's more likely than not you'd probably tell him to back the **** off and stop being a creep, as opposed to inviting him to have a chat over coffee.

Before someone replies with something like "Of course I wouldn't do that, it takes a guy with confidence to do something like that and girls dig confidence", try to remember that the person writing about you probably isn't what you imagine them to be. It's almost human nature to paint an idealized picture of someone without a name or a face writing about you and hang onto that, but reality will rarely live up to your expectations. As much as we all hate to admit it, physical attraction plays at least some part in who we're willing to give a chance to. Of course not every woman will turn down the approach of a stranger, but the stranger's got a significantly better chance of not getting shot down if they're good-looking.

It seems like I'm attacking women, but men are just as guilty of this-- I just don't feel like rewriting the above in a gender-neutral manner.

I just saw the post from uMentioned Mac him/herself congratulating the "courage" of anyone who's submitted an entry. What the **** is that? How is anonymously admitting you've got your eye on someone even a remote display of courage? If that's what courage is, then I gotta give huge props to the people that graffiti in washroom stalls. At least they don't try to glamourize their intentions with sweet talk.

What possible good could come of this? At best, someone admits that they're the one that wrote about you on uMentioned Mac. Then what? How do you expect to hold a conversation while in the back of your mind, you're going to be thinking "This is the person who stared at me for ten minutes as I was studying in Mills"?

Or course, it's not all bad. I'm sure that based solely on the number of people active on it, something good is bound to come out of it for at least one or two people. I can't deny its entertainment value, but as a proprietor of trying to blur the line between reality and the online world, uMentioned Mac isn't helping one bit.

tl;dr: I'm bitter uMentioned Mac hasn't friended me yet

Commie42, Jester all say thanks to Entropy for this post.

Old 12-18-2012 at 11:48 PM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

..it raises people's confidence and makes their day
when someone writes about you, you'll begin to love it
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:07 AM   #4
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Lol Entropy, great post. Not gonna lie, the umentioned posts are really entertaining and some of them are actually meaningful. Overall I think it's cute. Not something people need to get too serious about and worked up over. It's just for fun and it has helped some people!!!

Entropy says thanks to lt93 for this post.
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:21 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Whats Umentioned?
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:24 AM   #6
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Whats Umentioned?
http://www.facebook.com/umentioned.mac?fref=t s

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:41 AM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i thought it was a troll thing at first. i dont find it entertaining or anything tho. kinda annoying since its all i see on my newsfeed now
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:46 AM   #8
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

you can turn off the notifications...

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:49 AM   #9
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

How do we know that the creator of UMentioned Mac isn't some fat guy behind a computer whose goal is to befriend everyone at McMaster in order to stalk everyone's profiles?

Afzal, alyssarr, XNtrikster like this.
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:51 AM   #10
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

It probably is, too lol
but out of 4000 friends, I'm really not too worried about him stalking my profile..
Old 12-19-2012 at 12:53 AM   #11
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

I see UMentioned Western, UMentioned York, and UMentioned Dalhousie popping up.... I think this guy/girl is planning to take control of Canada's Universities one by one...

Old 12-19-2012 at 12:59 AM   #12
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

a little paranoid, are we? lol

you're probably right about them, though.. it seems like they lack a social life..
..being on an anonymous facebook account 24/7, copy/pasting random people's comments...

Afsha-noon, jim1 like this.
Old 12-19-2012 at 01:21 AM   #13
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
It probably is, too lol
but out of 4000 friends, I'm really not too worried about him stalking my profile..
You wouldn't have to worry much provided this guy's got a life. If that's not the case, going through 4000 profiles to select stalk-worthy ones might not be much work lol.
Old 12-19-2012 at 05:28 AM   #14
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I thought it was a good idea in theory, but now that it became so popular with 1 post every couple mins then it mostly just gets ignored.
Old 12-19-2012 at 06:47 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Before someone replies with something like "Of course I wouldn't do that, it takes a guy with confidence to do something like that and girls dig confidence", try to remember that the person writing about you probably isn't what you imagine them to be. It's almost human nature to paint an idealized picture of someone without a name or a face writing about you and hang onto that, but reality will rarely live up to your expectations.
It's true. Here's an actual picture of the person behind uMentioned Mac.

XNtrikster likes this.