MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst thing you did to someone? bloodywarz General Discussion 73 09-18-2010 11:20 AM
What was the KingQueen thing Iamanonymous General Discussion 20 02-11-2010 09:40 PM
What is the #1 thing you need right now? Rossclot General Discussion 94 02-04-2010 09:25 AM
HSR sticker thing jordanrogers General Discussion 18 06-29-2009 01:42 AM
For the Clubfest thing Goce Academics 5 09-03-2008 05:25 PM

I don't get the whole textbook thing..?

Old 08-18-2009 at 10:08 AM   #1
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

I don't get the whole textbook thing..?
If I've checked the Titles website for book listings and bought them is there any way that my profs could change the type of book needed on the first day of classes?

Also, if there aren't any books listed will they tell us the first day of class? I don't want to show up unprepared and unable to do my work. If I need to wait until after the first day of class to purchase my books will I be behind or okay?
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:09 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I dont think they will change the books, but they might just not end up using them
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:11 AM   #3
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

you don't need text books right away. I suggest you wait until a couple classes to see whether or not you will need your text book. Try and save your money.

Professor's don't change them. Its just a matter of using them.

lizziemcg says thanks to Infinity for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:21 AM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemcg View Post
If I've checked the Titles website for book listings and bought them is there any way that my profs could change the type of book needed on the first day of classes?

Also, if there aren't any books listed will they tell us the first day of class? I don't want to show up unprepared and unable to do my work. If I need to wait until after the first day of class to purchase my books will I be behind or okay?
I always buy my books a week before classes start and I get ahead on the readings...I never had the issue of the prof changing the book.
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:28 AM   #5
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

wait until at least after your first lecture, your prof will tell you which books you need, if any, and which are optional, and whether or not they will even be useful or if titles is just trying to make a quick buck haha.

i swear, i went to titles and it said all 3 books for environmental science were required (there was a sheet of paper beside the books saying the required material).

i ended up buying them, going to lecture, and finding out the one book would only be useful if i was continuing in environmental science lmao, what a waste of like $45, i think i opened it once.

moral:

go to lecture first, then buy books.
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:33 AM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

I've paid $200 for a textbook that I didn't open more than twice. A lot of profs assign books because they get kickbacks from suppliers, and will not teach a thing from the book.

The library has all textbooks in circulation so for instances where you would need a textbook once or twice, just use that. Ask upper year students about classes (WW Faculty Day/Night is a good time for this) so you can get their advice on whether textbooks are actually needed or not.

One other thing to watch out for are profs who say that you need to study from the textbook AND your notes. In all my time at Mac (4 years) I have only once had a prof follow through on this. They all quiz and test out of class notes. The one occasion I did have a prof quiz out of textbook was 2nd year social psych where the prof would pull random statistics out of the textbook and quiz that... so not even a legitimate manner of testing.
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:19 AM   #7
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Man, BIO 1M03, papaconstantino or whoever she was, read every word on her slide, completely terrible teacher, tested questions straight from a book that was supposed to come with my package of textbooks but wasn't, such bullshit.

Seriously though, there's no point in buying your textbooks before the first couple days of class, are you actually going to get ahead on readings? And if you plan on doing so, how do you know they'll start at chapter 1? lol, classes like chemistry are all over the book, skip to chapter 27, okay back to 11, blah blah. not worth it.

Last edited by zango : 08-18-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2009
zango
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:30 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I dont think they will change the books, but they might just not end up using them
Sometimes the book lists do change. Usually it's a matter of there being an issue ordering the books. I've had that happen in three different classes. In one of them we didn't get a textbook until the first week of November.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-18-2009 at 12:47 PM   #9
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I've paid $200 for a textbook that I didn't open more than twice. A lot of profs assign books because they get kickbacks from suppliers, and will not teach a thing from the book.

The library has all textbooks in circulation so for instances where you would need a textbook once or twice, just use that. Ask upper year students about classes (WW Faculty Day/Night is a good time for this) so you can get their advice on whether textbooks are actually needed or not.

One other thing to watch out for are profs who say that you need to study from the textbook AND your notes. In all my time at Mac (4 years) I have only once had a prof follow through on this. They all quiz and test out of class notes. The one occasion I did have a prof quiz out of textbook was 2nd year social psych where the prof would pull random statistics out of the textbook and quiz that... so not even a legitimate manner of testing.
Quick question for you then, deadpool:

I'm planning on continuing Political Science, Honors.
I heard that there's various texts for the course, but from what I saw, there's only 1 major textbook used in the course.
How many texts are there in the first year course?
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:59 PM   #10
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

This advice probably stands true in all the Poli Sci courses I've ever taken:

If you go to all the classes and take good notes, the textbook won't do much for your marks. However, during tutorials you generally have discussions about readings assigned in other books, and get participation marks.

I tended to neglect my readings, but am very argumentative so managed to insert myself edgewise into all tutorial conversations. However, in upper year poli sci classes I have had to be a lot smarter about my readings because the content is more specific.

The thing though is, if you are very good at absorbing information, you will only need to do a reading once or twice before you remember all the valuable stuff. This means that you can easily achieve all your goals if you do all your readings and stuff early, by using the books on reserve at Mills Library.

The key to Poli Sci is to make sure you absorb the material so that your notes are supplementary to the stuff you learn.
Old 08-18-2009 at 03:59 PM   #11
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

thanks so much.
If anything, I think I'd just get the standard textbooks, then rely on note-taking.
Old 08-18-2009 at 04:35 PM   #12
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
wait until at least after your first lecture, your prof will tell you which books you need, if any, and which are optional, and whether or not they will even be useful or if titles is just trying to make a quick buck haha.

i swear, i went to titles and it said all 3 books for environmental science were required (there was a sheet of paper beside the books saying the required material).

i ended up buying them, going to lecture, and finding out the one book would only be useful if i was continuing in environmental science lmao, what a waste of like $45, i think i opened it once.

moral:

go to lecture first, then buy books.
does envir sci. 1g03 with machlachlan require you to buy textbook? or do u not really use it?
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:32 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Man, BIO 1M03, papaconstantino or whoever she was, read every word on her slide, completely terrible teacher, tested questions straight from a book that was supposed to come with my package of textbooks but wasn't, such bullshit.
You didn't have the human evolution book? If you didn't have the book you didn't miss much. She reads words for word from her slides which are in turn word for word from the book.