MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White water from water fountains Chevalier General Discussion 14 03-26-2013 02:31 PM
Water Reda General Discussion 15 04-14-2011 09:13 PM
rez water cjdzl Residence & Housing 74 10-18-2010 01:13 AM
HH Tap Water goodnews.inc General Discussion 3 04-13-2010 06:13 PM

So does anyone else have a solution to filtering water?

Old 08-26-2014 at 08:03 PM   #1
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

So does anyone else have a solution to filtering water?
I just learned that the water on our tab is not filtered. The apartment I used to live in doesn't have this problem. I onyl learned that the house I am staying (or houses in general) don't filter tab water and you gotta buy one of these

http://www.shop.ca/c/2l-slim-pitcher...FcI7MgodlzoAbA

Does anyone else have an alternative solution? My roommates just buys bottle water, but this eems like a very expensive method.
Old 08-26-2014 at 08:21 PM   #2
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

The tap water really isn't that terrible. I would be more concerned about the gunk that builds up in the water pipes if it is an old house, than the water that comes from the treatment plant. It gets dirty in transit to your faucet (i suppose i'm not helping my case here, but its true!)

Just try drinking tap water with an open mind and save yourself some cash, i haven't died yet, and hey it'll help you build a good immune system No but seriously, please don't buy bottled water, you're supporting really horrible companies that get it for pennies on the dollar and produce a very non-sustainable product.

As for filters with activated carbon, that's all pretty moot. You should be concerned about biological contaminants (which are picked up by the clean water from the treatment plant, going through the cities dirty pipes) in your water, not metals. Those filters do not protect you from germs unless you're using one that emits UV
Old 08-26-2014 at 09:52 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

In general, tap water in Ontario is probably some of the safest in the world, as it has become heavily regulated after Walkerton 2002.

Having said that, Brita filters can further remove chlorine (improve taste), impurities and metals Keep in mind that filters aren't perfect and need to be maintained.

Bottled water is actually no safer than tap water. It is not as regulated compared to municipal drinking water. Chemicals from plastic bottles can also leach into the water. Most importantly, plastic is really bad for the environment as people don't dispose it properly. It also doesn't break down naturally, ends up in the oceans, and eventually back up the food chain to us.

In contrast to the previous responder, biological contaminants are not typically a concern because a chlorine residual is maintained throughout the drinking water system that prevents water from becoming re-contaminated after it leaves the water treatment plant. UV disinfection systems are expensive to purchase and operate, and would only be used if there are known biological contaminants in the water. In which case you would contact your municipality for testing and a solution.
Old 08-26-2014 at 10:17 PM   #4
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

I am glad the engineers are giving the opinions. May I ask what do you guys do personally?
Old 08-26-2014 at 10:58 PM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Just drink the water as it comes out of the tap! It's OK.

Listen to the enviro people: They say that water in plastic bottles is bad because of the chemicals that go into the water. Get yourself a personal stainless steel water bottle and fill it from the numerous refill stations around campus. Somebody went to a lot of trouble and expense to install these.

Otherwise, drink coffee, or any product made from boiled water. Also, beer has been a life-saver for humanity throughout the centuries. Alcohol kills lots of germs.