MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just 10 days until first class! Are you excited???? gongshow Academics 17 08-30-2010 07:59 PM
Excited for MAC Chadwollen Introduce Yourself 2 08-28-2010 12:04 AM
Excited to become a Mac student! dreamer21 Introduce Yourself 17 07-18-2010 03:38 PM
Union Market Gets New Paint Job! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 07-22-2008 08:32 AM

So excited for Farmers' Market!

Old 08-21-2010 at 01:00 AM   #1
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

So excited for Farmers' Market!
Is anyone else as excited for the new farmers market on campus as I am? I'm trying to take some steps to health and I think this is really gonna make eating better easier.

Does anyone know which days this will take place?

Or where on campus it will be set up?

Soo excited!! (:

: D : )
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:15 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

It's opening up on Thursday August 26th from 1130-530pm

Not sure when it'll run during the school year though yet.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-21-2010 at 01:20 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

what farmer's market?
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:24 AM   #4
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

I wonder if they'll have a "Chip Man" there, like they have one at the Square One Farmer's Market...
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:32 AM   #5
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

see i know this is a great idea , i just have a feeliing that after the grand opening and jazz ppl arent gonna go to it as much.... i was hoping these funds can go to upgrading SOLAR
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:39 AM   #6
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
see i know this is a great idea , i just have a feeliing that after the grand opening and jazz ppl arent gonna go to it as much.... i was hoping these funds can go to upgrading SOLAR
They are two separate things though; the farmers market is an idea entirely and 100% the conception of new MSU President and her Presidential Platform. The MSU Is following through with it because the students according to democratic theory elected her on these ideas as opposed to other candidates with different platform ideas.(eg: Another runner up candidate wanted to explore alternative options for MUGSI like Cloud Computing)

The Administration did not come up with the idea so at no point they had any control over whether they should be allocating specific funds to mugsi/solar or a farmers market.

They have allocated $25 Mil over 5 years to upgrading the IT Infrastructure but from what I heard the CIO of Mac actually asked the McMaster Board of Governors for $60 Mil, however presumably because of the financial pitfall of $100 Mil that the university faces they refused that and instead allocated $25. Still trying to confirm the details of this story though so don't take my word for it.

However if you feel that Farmers Market wasn't an adequate use of your tuition fee paid to the MSU and that they should have consulted you or any other forms of student input before creating such initiatives the president Mary Koziol is always willing to listen to input at [email protected] r.ca Remember it is within your rights to do that!

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-21-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Alvand, lorend like this.
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:42 AM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

^^^ sounds like someones candidate lost the election lol
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:43 AM   #8
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
They are two separate things though; the farmers market is an idea entirely and 100% the conception of new MSU President and her Presidential Platform. The MSU Is following through with it because the students according to democratic theory elected her on these ideas as opposed to other candidates with different platform ideas.(eg: Another runner up candidate wanted to explore alternative options for MUGSI like Cloud Computing)

The Administration did not come up with the idea so at no point they had any control over whether they should be allocating specific funds to mugsi/solar or a farmers market.

They have allocated $25 Mil over 5 years to upgrading the IT Infrastructure but from what I heard the CIO of Mac actually asked the McMaster Board of Governors for $60 Mil, however presumably because of the financial pitfall of $100 Mil that the university faces they refused that and instead allocated $25. Still trying to confirm the details of this story though so don't take my word for it.

However if you feel that Farmers Market wasn't an adequate use of your tuition fee paid to the MSU and that they should have consulted you or any other forms of student input before creating such initiatives the president Mary Koziol is always willing to listen to input at [email protected] r.ca Remember it is within your rights to do that!

ya i know i get that, hence why i didnt vote for her (no offense) i know its alot of money but if everyne is so apathetic about it its NEVER gonna happen (hence WHY its been 20 years and NOTHING's CHANGED)
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:52 AM   #9
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
ya i know i get that, hence why i didnt vote for her (no offense) i know its alot of money but if everyne is so apathetic about it its NEVER gonna happen (hence WHY its been 20 years and NOTHING's CHANGED)
Also, Farmers Market Vs MUGSI Solar are not opportunity cost issues in financial sense; The costs to hire students and set up the whole thing is just a tiny speck compared to the investment required for MUGSI. Even if the MSU were to "donate"(Which a student union should refrain from) to the Administration, it would hardly improve anything in the overall picture. So the issue is more about advocacy and putting pressure concerning SOLAR.

lorend says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

madBiologist likes this.
Old 08-21-2010 at 06:47 AM   #10
psps

Liked: 1 Time

I would love to have a farmers market on campus! Of course if they're reasonable prices though. The one in my town has nice stuff but it costs 3x more than in store
Old 08-21-2010 at 08:19 AM   #11
asfand_m3
First Lady

Liked: 28 Times

Just want to reiterate, it is NOT a Farmers MARKET, but is a Farm STAND...
Old 08-27-2010 at 09:37 AM   #12
zeChinaman

Liked: 7 Times

Well everyone, it's here.

The Spectator article pretty much sums up what I saw around lunch yesterday. Andrew (the Farmstand director) told me that their regular hours during the school year will be 11:30am - 5:30pm on Thursdays. I was quite excited to see that most of the customers had been university employees. I really want to see what the undergraduate student demand will be like.

Aside: Asfand I really like that you're the First Lady
Old 08-28-2010 at 03:15 PM   #13
Vera_M

Liked: 1 Time

How large is this "market" ??