MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massive Smoke Stack on Campus JackBauer133 General Discussion 16 04-26-2010 02:45 PM
Guitar Amps lawleypop General Discussion 9 11-14-2009 09:05 PM
Do you replace or stack the sticker on your student card? DannyV General Discussion 32 08-07-2009 01:53 PM

So i sold my marshall stack and guitar to help pay for res LOL

Old 07-24-2008 at 03:23 PM   #1
WavesSea

Liked: 0 Times

So i sold my marshall stack and guitar to help pay for res LOL
Yeah hi i just sold my ibanez jem and my marshall stack to pay for res lol got around 4500 not bad for those two items lol but do you know if there are any guitar equipment on campus like amps ? and if so how do i get access to that ? lol yeah i know i couldn't bring a double stack into bates LOL
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:10 PM   #2
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

WavesSea - we should meet up at Bates, I'll be there too... trying to figure out a way to bring my Marshall half-stack up. I know, possibly overkill, but I'd love to try and eventually gig at school. I'm going to email them and ask whether I could leave it in the music room in the basement, where the piano is.. otherwise - hopefully my roommate won't have a problem with a half-stack set-up residing in the living room
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:13 PM   #3
benjs

By the way - that's a tragedy that you had to part with that equipment, I feel for you. I'm using a Fender Highway One Tele, nowhere near a JEM, but I love it and would be extremely upset if I had to part with it.
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:13 PM   #4
WavesSea

haha thats cool iam guessing you got the MGDFX 100 half stack right ? how long have you been playing ?
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:14 PM   #5
benjs

Good guess. Planning on getting it at the end of the summer. Been playing about 8 or 9 years now... mainly electric blues (Albert King, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Roy Buchanan a bit), and I'm a Pearl Jam addict.
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:22 PM   #6
WavesSea

haah wow 8 years? xD haha wow iam noob iam not that experienced of a player i was a pianist for 12 years and switched to guitar during highschool Lol it was soo addicting i almost lost my mc master admission LOL!! xD ive been playing around 3 years on a really badly setup guitar and thann just about a few weeks ago i learned that the bridge was uneven LOL so i made it even and my playing has been cleaner, i prefer a warm overdrive lead tone little fx as possible to keep playing clean, Iam a pual gilbert, steve vai and many more players fan but thsoe are my two favourite XD, i wonder if there are any other guitarist around campus.. what program are you in ?
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:31 PM   #7
benjs

Cool. Not really a huge fan of that 'shredding' style. I'm in engineering. Yourself?
Old 07-24-2008 at 04:33 PM   #8
WavesSea

haah shred is okay =P but melodic shred =P not just random not playing xD but hmmm iam computer science iam on 4th floor bates where are you ?
Old 07-24-2008 at 05:30 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Sounds like you really didn't want to sell and that it was a last effort attempt to get save up some money, which is a shame.

There is a store across the street - karaoke Closet. They sell amps and speakers. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I think you can rent from them as well.

On campus there isn't anywhere I can think of that would let you borrow that sort of equipment without paying for it. AVtek may be able to help.

http://karaokecloset.com/products.ph...=17 ,18,19,16
Old 07-24-2008 at 05:38 PM   #10
WavesSea

hmm isn't there a music program at this school ? do you thin kthey might like let you use thier practice rooms? lol
Old 07-24-2008 at 05:54 PM   #11
benjs

I have no idea. I have a decent pair of Sennheiser cans though, and will likely just use those when practicing.
Old 07-24-2008 at 06:48 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

do not leave your amp in any public area if you ever want to see it again, esp in a big residence like Bates!

Old 07-24-2008 at 08:47 PM   #13
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WavesSea View Post
hmm isn't there a music program at this school ? do you thin kthey might like let you use thier practice rooms? lol
Yes, there's a music program, but no, they won't let you use the practice rooms unless you're a music student or in one of the music ensembles (you need an electronic key to get in which is issued by the department). Borrowing their equipment is also a no-no, unfortunately. Considering the type of music that is most often played by those students, I doubt there are many electric guitar amps to go around, anyway.

As for leaving amps in the practice room in Bates, you may get permission to, but with a big fat disclaimer that they're not responsible if it gets damaged or stolen - remember, the entire building has access to that room. Having said that, when I was living in Hedden one person brought an entire drum kit and left it in the games room all year, and as far as I know nothing ever happened to it. In fact, him and several other residents formed a band while they were there, so who knows what might happen when you get together and jam this year.

Chad says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-24-2008 at 09:12 PM   #14
WavesSea

that sucks xD oh well thanks alot guys ^_^
Old 07-24-2008 at 11:58 PM   #15
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Ouch, that sucks that you had to sell your gear to pay for res (although I think you did yourself a bit of a favour- Marshall MG's are crap in my opinion). As far as playing in res goes, you should still be fine with a smaller combo amp, as long as you're not playing with the volume at 11 in your room.

Karaoke Closet doesn't have a great selection of guitar amps. I find that Mountain Music is a better choice, I think they're the best guitar store in Hamilton. The only drawback is that it's kind of far (at Upper Gage & Mohawk). Although, last time I checked there was a Krank mini-stack in Karaoke Closet. 20 watts, all-tube, good for metal-type distortion from what I hear.

Last edited by Kevin S. : 07-25-2008 at 12:07 AM.