MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoke-Free Day temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-02-2010 02:58 PM
Nice places to smoke on campus. panici General Discussion 55 10-30-2009 05:11 PM
Do you replace or stack the sticker on your student card? DannyV General Discussion 32 08-07-2009 01:53 PM
So i sold my marshall stack and guitar to help pay for res LOL WavesSea General Discussion 17 09-27-2008 07:59 AM

Massive Smoke Stack on Campus

Old 04-20-2010 at 09:17 AM   #1
JackBauer133

Liked: 0 Times

Massive Smoke Stack on Campus
So obviously you guys have seen the huge smoke stack on campus near Mary E Keyes and the Go Station. What is that smoke stack for? I've always been wondering.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:25 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

It's part of physical plant. Not sure it's purpose.

There's also the nuclear reactor facility: http://mnr.mcmaster.ca/
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:25 AM   #3
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

The central plant for the university. All the hot water and steam for the campus is generated there. Most buildings on campus are heated by steam generated at the plant.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:26 AM   #4
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

That's the smaller building behind Engineering, he's referring to the tallest structure on campus I believe. Which is the stack.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:28 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thanks for clearing that up Joey!
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:56 AM   #6
thatdudeukno

Setting up a smoke stack of my own today. If you know what I mean.

Rossclot likes this.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:26 AM   #7
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Yeah as Joey mentioned... I think there is a lot of a confusion about the MNR/Smoke Stack. The Smoke Stack is completely separate from the Reactor.

The reactor is that big (not-quite) round building between JHE and ABB. It's the one which is many-sided, like an octagon but has many more than 8 sides.

I don't know what the Smoke Stack is for though.
Old 04-20-2010 at 11:37 AM   #8
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
The central plant for the university. All the hot water and steam for the campus is generated there. Most buildings on campus are heated by steam generated at the plant.
Sounds like the most likely answer. I wonder if any of the steam is generated from the heat of the reactor...
Old 04-20-2010 at 11:58 AM   #9
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

The reactor is shielded by a pool of water, and that water does get heated. The water gets pumped through a cooling system which transfers the heat to a secondary system which includes two massive fans that are outside.

You can see the fans outside when you walk from between ABB/JHE under the bridge into the reactor towards West Quad.
Old 04-20-2010 at 12:01 PM   #10
JackBauer133

Liked: 0 Times

thanks for your insight guys.
Old 04-20-2010 at 12:24 PM   #11
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevitin View Post
The reactor is shielded by a pool of water, and that water does get heated. The water gets pumped through a cooling system which transfers the heat to a secondary system which includes two massive fans that are outside.

You can see the fans outside when you walk from between ABB/JHE under the bridge into the reactor towards West Quad.
Yep... stuff like that is the bread and butter of my Energy program

I'm just wondering if they use it for heating/steam purposes, or medical purposes, or for funsies (research), etc...
Old 04-20-2010 at 12:28 PM   #12
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

I dunno about heating/energy purposes.

I do know they conduct a lot of research, and also have an industry aspect to it (they can scan parts for aeronautical companies to check for hairline cracks and the like).

They also can produce some medical isotopes, specifically an Iodine isotope used for PET scans, although I think that's mostly for the hospital on campus, but I don't know if they make enough to export it anywhere else.
Old 04-21-2010 at 12:24 PM   #13
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

It isn't a smoke stack, its a cooling tower. The mcmaster utility plant produces steam and cooling water for several buildings on campus for various processes and for heating and cooling.
Old 04-21-2010 at 05:27 PM   #14
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

The reactor is not used for heating/energy purposes - it's not licensed to do so.
Old 04-21-2010 at 05:37 PM   #15
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

its used for medical purposes