MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplementary Fees - whats my money being spent on? Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 19 07-19-2013 04:34 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
library hours Richa General Discussion 3 04-10-2009 07:04 PM
Building Hours DannyV General Discussion 5 12-04-2008 12:17 AM
SOLAR hours? nicoleq Academics 4 06-10-2008 11:50 PM

So i spent 4 hours on the phone for nothing

Old 04-30-2009 at 09:32 PM   #1
WavesSea

Liked: 0 Times

So i spent 4 hours on the phone for nothing
The Story is

I need a waiver for Math for the following summer courses.
2C03 Differential Equations
2A03 Calculus III

Because i don't have the prerequisite which is 1B03 Linear Algebra I
I have taken 1ZZ5 and 1Z04 Engineering Math I and II (ten units)
What concerns myself the most is that I can take
Linear Algebra II (2R03) because
the 1ZZ5 credit counts as a prerequisite to Linear Algebra II (2R03).
But 1ZZ5 does not count towards the ability to take
2C03 Differential Equations
2A03 Calculus III
which both state
One of MATH 1AA3, 1NN3, 1XX3, 1ZZ5, ARTS&SCI 1D06, ISCI 1A24; and one
of MATH 1B03, 1D03, 1H03, 1H05, 1HH3

Linear Algebra II (2R03) States
One of MATH 1AA3, 1NN3, 1XX3, ARTS&SCI 1D06, ISCI 1A24, and one of MATH
1B03, 1H03, 1H05, 1HH3; or MATH 1ZZ5

I believe that there is a discrepancy between the prerequisites. Mainly
that 2C03 Differential Equations 2A03 Calculus III should have the same
prerequisites as Linear Algebra II (2RO3).

I have spent 4 hours on the phone with the registrar office the office
of engineering and the math and stats department and they have tossed
me around during those 4 hours. I was being cool and calm the whole time.

Does this happen a lot ? where people just send you around? Like isn't this an obvious mistake ? i pointed out the mistake and they are still dunno who i should talk with, so i finally gave in and decided to do 1B03 and guess what?!?! it wont let me register for the course since i dont have the grade 12 calc and vectors either that or i have the antirequite for that course. And now i heard that summer school payment agreement is due tomw! now i feel screwed because i can't do my summer courses and iam living in hamilton for no reason! Now i also have to pay a freaking almost 100 dollar cell phone bill FML!!!! I HATE THIS BS can anyone help?!? and now i have to drive all the way back to hamilton 2 hour drive!! just to get the waiver and pay for summer school asap!!

Last edited by WavesSea : 04-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2009 at 09:54 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Next year all the math courses are changing in response to the change to 1ZZ5 and 1Z04, meaning new courses called 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 are being created, at least for engineering. I remember you saying you're in comp. sci, so I don't know if that also carries over for you.

Are you sure you should be trying to take 2C03 or 2A03?

Sorry this isn't a direct response to your question, but I thought I should maybe throw that out there.
Old 04-30-2009 at 10:09 PM   #3
WavesSea

Liked: 0 Times

nah iam staying in comp sci dont want to do anymore physics i feel i dont have the heart to do it anymore i jsut want to do a math minor
Old 04-30-2009 at 11:13 PM   #4
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I took 2A03 and 2C03 in the summer instead of 2M in second year engineering, and needed a waiver also.

The academic councellor I talked to in the engineering dept told me I couldn't do this, as it was no longer allowed. So, I ended up taking some rediculously hard 4 credit electrical engineering math courses to make up for it instead which she said was OK. I dropped it later as the first one I took was the hardest course I had ever ecountered, and was worth 1 credit more than the course I was taking it in place of. Due to the way the system works and the date I dropped it, I didn't get my money back.

It turned out she was full of crap, and that it WAS fine to take 2A03 and 2C03 in the summer. Another councillor sorted it out for me in 5 minutes and set it up so I could register on solar. Too bad it cost me 600 bucks.

Tip: Half of the people you talk to don't have much more of a clue than you or I. Go in person, and talk to someone else if you're getting the runaround.