MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astronomy??? Taylor.C. Academics 1 06-09-2010 03:34 PM
Minor in Astronomy? Enge Academics 4 04-17-2010 09:27 PM
Astronomy and Telescope stevennevets First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-28-2008 05:01 PM

So I want to minor in Astronomy.

Old 06-06-2010 at 08:42 PM   #1
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

So I want to minor in Astronomy.
Alright couple questions about this:

1. Alot of the courses are physics courses including 1B03. I took 1D03 last year and I'm wondering if I can have that take its place (who can I ask about this?).

2. CAN I minor in astronomy if i'm in engineering? (I ask because in first year we were not allowed to take a specific astronomy course). Is that just because of conflicts with first year courses?

3. I have no knowledge about minors, any info you can spit out would most likely be useful to me.

Thanks in advance!!

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 06-06-2010 at 08:56 PM   #2
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I thought engineers can't minor in anything since they barely get electives..
Old 06-06-2010 at 08:57 PM   #3
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

I was also interested in doing this too. I'm sure you can minor in Astronomy but fitting it into your fall/winter timetable may be difficult and you may end up having to take summer school or if you take Society you can use the focus electives to minor in it . Also about Physics 1B03 and subbing in 1D03 instead I'm not sure but your best bet is to contact Sally Williams or one of the academic advisers in the eng office.

btw I see your entering into Tron next year so you'll already have two courses towards the minor, Eng Phys 2A04 and Math 2Z03!
Old 06-06-2010 at 09:14 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

You need 24 units to be able to minor in a subject. That's equal to 1 full-year or 2 half-year astronomy courses every year. With engineering, I'd imagine it might be abit harder, but a lot of your required courses might count, as mentioned above. And there's always summer school to complete any courses you're missing.
Old 06-06-2010 at 09:17 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

If you can cram it in your schedule, I say go for it. I wish I could minor in anything... I can never find anything that doesn't interfere with my required courses >:U.
Old 06-06-2010 at 09:38 PM   #6
Boolean

awesome! Ill talk to sally about whether or not 1b03 can be subbed for the physics I did. Thanks for the help. Also, With course calendars and the required courses, do I only look at my years requirements? (since they sometimes like to change).

Old 06-08-2010 at 01:03 AM   #7
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

there are only a handful of astronomy courses, i think 4, so i dont think you can... unless i am mistakened
Old 06-08-2010 at 02:18 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
there are only a handful of astronomy courses, i think 4, so i dont think you can... unless i am mistakened
I don't think all the courses counting towards the minor have to entirely be courses with the ASTRON prefix or w/e.
Old 06-08-2010 at 02:26 AM   #9
Boolean

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1623.html

Buttload of physics courses but meh I may go for it.

What do they mean when they say :
In order to complete a Minor in Astronomy, at least 12 units (above Level I) must be elective to degree.

Old 06-08-2010 at 03:15 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

It means that courses above level 1 that you want to use towards your minor (at least 12 units of them anyways) have to be elective course, so not courses that you are required to take for Tron.

Boolean says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 12:14 PM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1623.html

Buttload of physics courses but meh I may go for it.

What do they mean when they say :
In order to complete a Minor in Astronomy, at least 12 units (above Level I) must be elective to degree.
You don't need to take all the physics courses on that list. For the last row since you already have ENG PHYS 2E04 and MATH 2Z03 you only need to select one more 3 unit course which can either be a math or physics. The course you choose from the last row will also fulfill the requirement of taking at least 12 units elective to degree.
Old 06-08-2010 at 12:42 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

The easiest way to go about getting a minor, I believe, is through the engineering and society program, which extends your degree as it is.

I think you'd likely have to stretch it to 5 years to get it in there, society or not :/

Though I do highly recommend engineering and society! Very fun, and you learn about sustainable eng/culture and preventative engineering, etc... very good profs
Old 06-09-2010 at 03:22 AM   #13
Boolean

Alright so I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to try and fulfill a minor, I'm simply going to take astronomy courses out of interest and if I manage to reach the 24 units, woot minor time.

Thanks for all the comments, very useful

One more thing. Is there an elective requirement we need to graduate? Like besides compulsory courses for our major, do we need to take anything besides them to graduate? Kinda said the same thing twice, hope that made sense, thanks again.

Old 06-09-2010 at 03:25 AM   #14
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

There's a certain number of elective courses you have to take but what you take as electives is up to you. I hope that helps.

Boolean says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 06-13-2010 at 05:44 PM   #15
Boolean

cool I get it now, I never saw it because it's all listed under 4th year requirements for tron. Thanks again.