Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 78%
Soc Sci 2EL0

This course is free. I did it over two Saturdays which I preferred over doing it like a regular course. It was about two Saturday mornings long. We discussed our personality "colours." That was probably my favorite aspect of it. I am an orange. It really helps you realize what sort of jobs your personality would be good for. We were all divided by our colours. All of the groups had around 10 people. The orange group only had 3, so it was me and two other people. Nevertheless, we were the loudest and jumpiest. We got so into our presentation while everyone else was more serious. It helped me understand that the people you work with really aren't like you. I learned that some people actually LIKE working at cubicles which is something I would NEVER want to do. We played a lot of games and such. We discussed our resumes and critiqued one anothers. We had one assignment to complete. It was really easy to complete. The assignment was something like Chicken Little is looking for a job what traits does he possess that would be beneficial, what jobs should she consider. It's a pass or fail sort of course.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Soc Sci 2EL0!

Old 06-27-2008 at 03:10 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
The course is free for Soc Sci students. If you're not in Soc Sci (and this also applies for students who are combined in Soc Sci & Humanities) you have to pay for it.

We took a bunch of personality tests (True Colours being one), did some resume critiqueing, and learned to write a cover letter. The most useful resource I got from the class was a binder with sample cover letters and resumes.

I took the course during the year, so I believe it was 7 weeks total.

There is a similar course now available for Science students as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-29-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2008 at 08:49 PM   #3
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
Is there custom courseware or do we get free stuff (Like that binder filled with sample cover letters and such)?
Old 06-27-2008 at 09:25 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
Youcould buy the custom courseware but you get all the handouts free anyways

Old 06-29-2008 at 12:36 AM   #5
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times
I am a white.
Old 12-17-2008 at 01:59 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
What did you have to do for your presentation? Probably won't be the same next year, but just to get a general feeling.
Old 12-18-2008 at 06:02 AM   #7
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
What did you have to do for your presentation? Probably won't be the same next year, but just to get a general feeling.
I remember taking it last year, it was not very formal at all... I remember playing Jenga with different colour groups. I think the lady who taught the course last year isn't around anymore.
Old 06-23-2009 at 05:41 PM   #8
Samantha

Liked: 0 Times
How many units is this course worth?
I realize it is recorded as a pass or fail but I need 3 more units would this work?
Old 06-23-2009 at 06:03 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
I realize it is recorded as a pass or fail but I need 3 more units would this work?
It should be worth 0 units indicated by the 0 at the end of the course code.
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:49 AM   #10
xsanx

Is this course MANDATORY to have for social science internships?
Old 12-16-2010 at 09:15 PM   #11
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsanx View Post
Is this course MANDATORY to have for social science internships?
You do need to take 2EL0 if you want to participate in a soc sci internship.

I took 2EL0 last year, it was taught by Cynthia Schooley, she knows her stuff and makes herself available after hours if you have any questions or need advice about career planning. We did a resume critique, went over the do's and don'ts of interviewing, we spent a class in the library learning how to properly search for jobs. The assignments were also easy as well, just things such as personality tests, career searches, etc. We then had to create a portfolio. It took me at most a half an hour to make. If you attend 5 out of the 6 courses and have everything in the portfolio you pass.

I'd strongly suggest taking it, especially for the internships. I was able to turn my summer job into an internship because of I took Soc Sci 2EL0

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-02-2011 at 10:30 PM   #12
tbell10

so you dont get any credits for this?!
Old 09-02-2011 at 10:31 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell10 View Post
No, as answered before.
Old 09-03-2011 at 02:50 AM   #14
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
No, this wouldn't work.
Old 09-03-2011 at 02:54 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell10 View Post
You don't pay for it either, since the number of units you have dictates how much tuition you pay. These types of career courses typically aren't for "units", they're just pass/fail and a prereq for things like internships or co-op, or just useful information to have. There's minimal work (some assignments and whatnot, but nothing too intense), and no exam.

As a side note, you can tell how many units any course has by the last number in the course code. A 1A06 course will have six units, 1A00 is zero units, etc.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search