Social Work 1A06 katie_batt 1st Year Course Reviews 11 07-19-2013 08:12 PM
Social Work 1A06 bpreo Academics 1 09-10-2010 11:10 AM
Social Work 1a06? mel89 Academics 1 06-28-2010 09:47 PM

What is Soc work 1A06 like?

Old 08-20-2009 at 10:56 AM   #1
L.Meri

Liked: 0 Times

What is Soc work 1A06 like?
So I didn't find a review on this course in the review section... and I kind of want to know what its like? So please, can someone do a review on it.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2009 at 10:59 AM   #2
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

its super easy, and interesting enough. I took it last year and it was a night course, so it was long. We watched a ton of movies throughout the year, and wrote "Journals" (I think there were 3 Journals in total). They were really easy, you just had to answer questions about what you learned in long answer format. Midterm was difficult, you needed to really keep up with the readings, but the final was a breeze.

All things considered, I would recommend it for an elective. Its a lot of common sense stuff, you just need to keep up with readings.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:07 AM   #3
L.Meri

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks.
I have another question under the course materials it says an I-clicker. First of all what is it?? And is it useful in the class?
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:09 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Meri View Post
Thanks.
I have another question under the course materials it says an I-clicker. First of all what is it?? And is it useful in the class?
It's a white clicker that has A, B, C, D, E. In some classes it's used for multiple choice quizzes, in others it's used to make sure the class understands the concept. In either case, it's worth participation marks most of the times. I've used it for 2 classes last year and they were both worth participation marks.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:13 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

What type of topics does this course cover? And is there a lot of writing besides the journals, i.e. essays, especially with a science course load?
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:20 AM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Don't worry about it, here's what I did all year.

Slept during lectures and went only for the clicks.
Slept during tutorials.
Couple assignments, 1 essay.
Midterm- guess everything
Final- guess everything

Cheers

Afzal likes this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #7
katie_batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
What type of topics does this course cover? And is there a lot of writing besides the journals, i.e. essays, especially with a science course load?
The course covers topics of oppression, ie: ageism, sexism, racism, etc. The knowledge is mostly all common sense. No essays, its just 3 Journals and 2 tests. Journals are super easy, you just answer some questions. I didnt do a lot of work for it at all and I did great in the class, its a good elective.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to katie_batt for this post.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:34 PM   #8
katie_batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Don't worry about it, here's what I did all year.

Slept during lectures and went only for the clicks.
Slept during tutorials.
Couple assignments, 1 essay.
Midterm- guess everything
Final- guess everything

Cheers
Are you sure you're talking about Social Work? Maybe you mean Sociology. I say that because we didnt have clickers in social work, or essays, or tutorials. We just had 3 journals, and 1 class a week (night class)....
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:00 PM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Ah I guess your right, I don't pay much detail to title. Although the two above post said something about I-clicker, and you said soc work did not have clicker. Now I am confused.

Old 08-20-2009 at 03:01 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Ah I guess your right, I don't pay much detail to title. Although the two above post said something about I-clicker, and you said soc work did not have clicker. Now I am confused.
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/secti...hcourse= 1A06

It's required but I wouldn't buy one until class starts. See if it's worth marks first. Also try to buy used.