MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
favourite club soccer team licheom Athletics & Recreation 19 09-22-2010 03:20 PM
Looking for a team to play for (Intramural soccer team) dlee Athletics & Recreation 0 09-12-2010 10:16 AM
McMaster Soccer Team? kuruczpa Athletics & Recreation 1 09-05-2010 11:32 PM
Team Canada's Hockey Team jhan523 General Discussion 61 08-28-2009 07:58 PM
Soccer Team and Class Time. Grant1313 Academics 4 07-06-2009 07:50 PM

Soccer team...

Old 08-14-2008 at 01:11 AM   #1
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Soccer team...
Uhh, so I've been wondering when and where the tryouts for McMaster's soccer team would be held. I know I probably don't have a chance at all being a first year and all but I might just decide to check it out so I'm interested in knowing some information. It's just I've been playing soccer throughout highschool and would like to continue doing so when I get to McMaster Thanks...
Old 08-14-2008 at 01:26 AM   #2
Grant1313

Liked: 0 Times

Ouch Man
Tryouts start this Saturday
The coach has been in contact with players who wanted to try out for about three months now. You have to send in a profile, have a full medical done,signed by your doctor and do an online course about anti doping. Here`s what the latest email states:

Hello Gentlemen:

I have attached the updated schedule which is very similar to the original one I sent out earlier.

All players including returning veterens are to have a player profile filled out. This is so we can have an idea of the players we have coming into camp and divide you accordingly for games. If you haven't sent me one yet please do so ASAP.

Also, when you show up for registration you must have a medical form filled out by your physician (read below). There is an anti-doping questionaire that also needs to be done at some point. If you have the time to do it, take advantage of it (see below)

Unfortunately residence does not allow us to use their facilities before September so those of you coming from out of town need to find your own accomdations. This is something we are trying to work on. If there are any vets or local players who don't mind accomodating some players it would be much appreciated. Let me know.

There may be between 50-60 players at camp. I am looking to cut down as quickly as possible. To increase your chances to make the team i) be there, ii) be fit, and iii) be on top of your game for all sessions

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks and starting a new era in McMaster soccer.

Dino

1. MEDICAL FORMS
- First-Year Athletes - Required to complete a full medical by either their
family doctor or a physician in the sport med. clinic (905-525-9140 x23575
for appointments). Cost is $100 if they do it at our clinic. The attached
form must be filled out by the physician. All known recruits should have
this completed before they step onto the pitch the very first day of
training camp.

- Returning Athletes - Required to complete an updated medical form, which
will be part of the on-line system.

2. CCES/CIS ANTI-DOPING
For the second year, the CCES/CIS anti-doping e-learning course, designed
specifically for you as a student-athlete, is now available. The course can
be completed in 45-55 minutes for first year student-athletes, while
returning student-athletes can complete the course in 25-35 minutes. The
online course may be completed in a single session or you may choose to exit
at any time and return to where you left off when you next log in.

To access the course, go to the CCES Online Learning portal at
http://education.cces.ca.
At the login page, in the [New Users] section, select the [Register] button.
You will be prompted for an authorization code. Enter one of the following
four codes to be assigned the correct version of the course.

Full English course (for first-year student-athletes): 44169C416DBFACD7
Condensed English course (for returning student-athletes): 7D44F2DADDC41D35

You will be prompted to complete your user profile, including your first and
last names, institution, sport and gender. For your institution, McMaster
University, select the abbreviation MAC from the dropdown. You also need to
choose a username and password. When this is complete you will see the CIS
home page.

Each module concludes with a three-question quiz. You must score at least
66% or repeat the module.

At the end of the course, a printable certificate will be available from the
portal. Your progress report will also be available to your university's
Athletic Director.

This course requires a high-speed internet connection and a browser, either
Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Pop-ups must be enabled. During the
course three short videos require the use of Quicktime, a free video player
available for both Windows and Mac OS.

3. ATHLETE REGISTRATION
We are have some technology issues with launching our new system. I will
be sending out an email early August for all potential student-athletes to
log-on and complete the forms. If it is not up and running by August 5, then paper copies of these forms will be provided during the training camp.

Lol i know its alot to do, but if you wanna try out still, try and get all that stuff done by Saturday. The first tryout is the 16th at 10 am
Old 08-14-2008 at 01:30 AM   #3
Grant1313

Liked: 0 Times

Here`s the training camp sced, and dont worry about being a first year. I`m a first year as well and I think that the coach will need some first years for the future.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Training_Camp_Schedule_2008.doc (36.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-14-2008 at 01:50 AM   #4
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Haha thanks a lot for the info but I doubt I'd be able to make it to the tryout. I wish I had known sooner. I work on the weekends so looks like I am out of luck. Oh well, maybe next year. I guess I'll just kick a soccer ball around campus every now and then lol. But yeah, even if I didn't work, I live all the way at Toronto so it would be difficult and very costly for me to make the trips down there for the camp. So next year for sure I'll be trying out. Let me know how it goes though.
Old 08-14-2008 at 05:14 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There are intramural teams you can play on (co-ed, both indoor and outdoor, as well as gender specific indoor and outdoor), which will help you keep in shape. Also, the there are different levels of play -- those who are at a very competitive level, and those who aren't.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-15-2008 at 10:54 AM   #6
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
There are intramural teams you can play on (co-ed, both indoor and outdoor, as well as gender specific indoor and outdoor), which will help you keep in shape. Also, the there are different levels of play -- those who are at a very competitive level, and those who aren't.
Hope they have intramural floor hockey and cricket !
Old 08-15-2008 at 04:48 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Floor hockey, yes. You need certain equipment for that though (I think a hockey helmet and some padding).

Cricket, not to my knowledge, as we don't really have a cricket pitch. But I have a feeling you could start a cricket club for your second year and remedy that!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement