MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science Social myoozik MacInsiders Announcements 3 10-27-2009 03:50 PM
is my social life ruined? britishCanad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-26-2009 10:48 PM

Social Life at Mac?

Old 05-03-2011 at 08:52 PM   #1
maleki

Liked: 0 Times

Social Life at Mac?
so i just recently got accepted, and i know that people are gonna troll me for asking this cause im not at mac for fun, im there for a future and all that stuff. but whats the social life like? compared to other schools and stuff
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:57 PM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

cant compare to other schools, but i loved the social life here. i really outgoing but dedicated to my work.kinda paid too much attention to social life this year. what faculty are you in?
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:59 PM   #3
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

get real cozy with your laptop, your only friend for the next 4 years

...?!, Biochem47, I r Babboon like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:00 PM   #4
maleki

social science and humanities. i just dunno what to expect ya know?
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:04 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleki View Post
social science and humanities. i just dunno what to expect ya know?
You just cued the trolls. The "Social Science/Humanities?! You must have TONS of time on your hands!" thing is present regardless of which university you go to.

There's a lot to do in Hamilton - it all depends what your interests are. If you like the nightlife, there's Hess Village, 1280 (the on-campus club), etc. If you make friends in your residence, there's almost always something going on.

We also have tons of clubs/groups, and it's a great way to meet people.

What kind of stuff do you like doing in terms of being social?

Last edited by alh24 : 05-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Desda, MacPack like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:09 PM   #6
maleki

let em come at me, shits weak. and i dunno, just like clubs and gettin to know people, parties and the general things.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:12 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
let em come at me, shits weak. and i dunno, just like clubs and gettin to know people, parties and the general things.
Take advantage of Welcome Week, its fun
Also make sure you attend clubsfest, because most people, in their undergrad, get involved with and make one or two clubs their main social go-to for easy funz

alh24, J. Dorey like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:12 PM   #8
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
We certainly don't compare to schools in Toronto for nightlife, but we have a few clubs. If someone else could comment on those, that'd be great - I'm not a fan of clubs, so I haven't been to many.

If you make a lot of friends, you're bound to have something to do whenever you're out of work to do. Are you going to be legal when you get here (not that that always matters in Hess, it seems)?

Last edited by alh24 : 05-03-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:36 PM   #9
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

Friends are extremely overrated.

My best friend is my pet lizard sir jay z jr
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:55 PM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

i was gonna be like if you are in engineering you dont have TONS of time to socialize, like alot of it was while i was studying, but you have max 15 hours of class in social sciences. if you can wrtie essays fast and even if you cant you have tons of time to get invovled and chil with friends. MY BIG TIP: i wish out of all the advice i was given someone would have told me to avoid friday morning classes, we here at mac party thursday nights if you are into that.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:55 PM   #11
Maria Daniel

Liked: 3 Times

Hey!!

Congrats on getting in!
I guess the social life he would depend on various factors..

1. Whether or not you live in res

res life is great.. You're amongst people like you, most of whom are new and don't know as many people around you.. Hence it'll be a lot easier to form bonds with your peers.. There is a lot of opportunity, esp during welcome week for you guys to socialize and there's always somethig going on around res! Plus, there's 1280 (the 'in-school' club at mac) which is a great, 'close-to-home' option for nightlife if you live in res!

2. Whether or not you're coming with people you apready know

Students often make the wise decision of not going to a school just because their friends are going there too. This is great, and coming to a totally new environment forces you to go out there and meet new people. Not to say that many would stick to their own group of friends upon coming here, but in my expeience here, I've seen it happen so make sure you mingle with everyone, even if it may mean going a little outside your comfort zone when you first come to mac!

3. Your program

the program that you end up in will definitely have a big impact on who your friends end up to be! These are the people you go to class with, study for midterms with, and spend allnighters at tHe libraries with!

4. Clubs/co-curriculars

clubs, as mentioned above, are a great medium to meet people and have fun at the same time! Do go to clubsfest and get involved in something you're interested in.. This connects you with that many more people.

Of course, I can't speak for other schools, but I personally am thoroughly enjoying the social life at mac! The campus (as compared to the satellite styled campus that some other schools have) is ideal for meeting people between classes and creating a sense of community as well.

Wherever you end up choosing to go, however, just rmb that although this sounds cliched, your experience will be the direct result of what you're willing to put into it! Head to university with an open mind and ready to make friends and take on new challenges, and you definitely will enjoy yourself!

J-Met says thanks to Maria Daniel for this post.

J-Met likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:15 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
i was gonna be like if you are in engineering you dont have TONS of time to socialize, like alot of it was while i was studying, but you have max 15 hours of class in social sciences. if you can wrtie essays fast and even if you cant you have tons of time to get invovled and chil with friends. MY BIG TIP: i wish out of all the advice i was given someone would have told me to avoid friday morning classes, we here at mac party thursday nights if you are into that.
A lot of people seem to think this, and that Social Science involves a lot of essay-writing. I've never written an essay in any Social Science class (granted, I'm in Economics, but I didn't write a single one in my first year of it), and I had 23 hours of class the year I transferred to Social Science. I gather that a lot of people purposely take courses with 2 lectures and no tutorials.

My biggest tip as a Social Science student, Andrew, is that you shouldn't get in the habit of thinking that just because you don't have a lot of classes, you don't have a lot of work. My Humanities friends always comment on the fact that they spend about twice the amount of time they spend in classes just doing outside work (heavy readings, etc.). Which faculty in particular are you thinking about? The two are pretty different, contrary to popular belief.

Back on the topic of social life though, it's a really good idea to get involved in clubs relating to your program. You instantly have something in common with everyone in it. Even though your first year is general, you can still show up to groups for programs that you aren't admitted into until second year.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:30 PM   #13
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

res+soc sci = good year

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:53 PM   #14
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

People mistakenly believe that being in rez= automatic awesome first year.

It's not true. Granted, it's easier going out late with people from your classes if you're on residence, but overall, you're only ever going to have a social life is if you put yourself out there.

I know commuters who are actively involved in the school and I know off-campus kids and res kids who are not.

alh24, Desda like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:02 PM   #15
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
Friends are extremely overrated.

My best friend is my pet lizard sir jay z jr
Agreed. My friends are imaginary and I'm doing just fine.