MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM

Social Work 4W03 - Child Welfare

Published by sinthusized
12-17-2011
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 73%

This course examines the child welfare systems and issues, mostly in Canadian and Ontario contexts though there was European content as well. We had many good guest speakers in this class and I learned a lot about child protection. The prof is gary dumbrill who is very good instructor but in my opinion, is a very difficult marker.

In terms of the course break down, there is some flexibility in how you get your marks. Everyone writes a 20% midterm based on course readings - the midterm was generally well done (the class average being a 85%).

Then, you could either submit a midterm research paper (or a podcast) on a topic of your choice relating to child welfare (12 pages/10 minutes) and a final case assessment OR you could just complete one final research paper (20 pages)/podcast (20 minutes).

I opted for a large podcast and though I was initially excited, I thought this project was difficult to do given that a vague mix of creativity and academics was expected. Based on the feedback, the prof suggested that I provide an academic rationale for any creative endeavor I undertook in completing the assignment (which is not my style but hey, that's university for you). In general, this speaks to fulfilling academic expectations in a limited number of minutes/pages- it was difficult for me to do this and so it was hard to do very well. I recommend that if one undertakes this assignment in the future, really limit your topic, do a lot of analyses and make sure you rationalize every last thing.

Overall, I thought 4W03 was a good course in terms of content but was difficult to do well in.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Social Work 4W03 - Child Welfare!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search