MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM

social work

Old 05-09-2013 at 02:43 PM   #1
natashavee

Liked: 0 Times

social work
I've accepted my offer to social sciences, my first year. My dream is to be a social worker, it's the only thing I can picture myself doing. does anyone know how limited the space is in the social work program? I know admittance is based half on marks and half on the test after one year of social sciences.

and also, if I wanted to transfer to another school's social work program, will any of the credits transfer? would I basically have wasted a year and all that money?
Old 05-09-2013 at 02:48 PM   #2
romita sur

Hi! I am in the BA/BSW program, going into third year social work. When I applied, they took about 80 students, if my guess is right, its usually a 40/40 split for just BSW and BA/BSW.

The making is based on half marks and SWAT.

I am not sure about other social work programs, but you could call the social work office and find out. They are very helpful. If you want info from students, you could message Amberlynn or jamescw1234. Amberlynn is in 4th yr social work and James has already finished his degree. They will probably be able to help you more than me.

Hope this kinda helps and good luck!
Old 05-09-2013 at 03:46 PM   #3
natashavee

Oh okay, 80. that's not so bad, any clue how many applied?

and also, how is the test like? how much of it is based on personal philosophy? I'm certainly passionate and opinionated so I won't have a shortage of things to say, but I'm still worried. The idea of wasting that year is making me nervous lol
Old 05-15-2013 at 03:37 PM   #4
Shibli

I did the Social Work test a little while back, the classroom i wrote in seemed pretty full. I'm going to assume that there were more than 150 students writing ( 2 locations). There was a section where you outline your strengths, why you want to be a social worker, what you can offer, etc. The other portion is case studies, where you pick 2 within a list. I have a short term memory, so I cannot really recall the list very well lol Aboriginal schooling, options for a pregnant women who has some medical issues, low income and a few others.

This the breakdown of the Test I copied from the social work website.
The criteria listed below are used to evaluate exam answers (note that items 3-4 carry more weight than items 1-2; this is not because we consider them more important, but because items 1-2 have already been measured to some extent in applicants’ GPA).- 80%

1. Quality of Communication (20% of SWAT grade). Here we look for clarity of expression including composition, grammar, spelling and organization of ideas. Such skills are an important foundation when learning the ways that social workers communicate in writing on behalf of the families and communities they serve.

2. Quality of Arguments (20% of SWAT grade). Here we look for logic and the orderly marshalling of relevant facts and arguments, as well as critical reasoning, the ability to develop a line of thought, and the ability to relate general ideas to specific examples or issues. Such skills are an important foundation when learning how social workers develop, organize and present arguments that help bring change for the clients and communities they serve.

3. Quality of Information (30% of SWAT grade). Here we look for awareness of cultural, economic, political, social and interpersonal forces affecting personal and social issues. Such awareness provides an important starting point for learning the way social workers not only address client personal troubles, but understand and address how these are compounded and sometimes caused by broader social and political issues.

4. Social/Personal Perspective (30% of SWAT grade). Here we look for awareness and understanding of differing values and ethical positions, evidence of self-awareness, individuality of thought. Self-awareness and ethics are the foundation for learning social work’s social justice mission and its ways of understanding and responding to others.
Old 05-15-2013 at 08:19 PM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Howdy, I graded the SWATs last year, we had over 250 applicants. 45 people get admitted into the BA/BSW program, and 25 get admitted into the two year post-degree BSW program. A lot of BSW programs at other schools require two years of undergrad study at any school so your credits would transfer depending on the program. Good luck! Social work is an interesting career choice.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)