MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sociology 1A06 Question rebecca-cait Academics 1 06-12-2011 04:16 PM
Sociology 1a06 - C02/t06 Blocked shaiya08 Academics 7 08-22-2008 01:13 PM
Sociology 1A06? Avneet Academics 2 07-06-2008 08:42 PM

Is SOCIOLOGY 1A06 or SOCIALWORK 1A06 easier ?

Old 06-12-2011 at 05:48 PM   #1
brazil2014

Liked: 0 Times

Is SOCIOLOGY 1A06 or SOCIALWORK 1A06 easier ?
Is SOCIOLOGY 1A06 or SOCIALWORK 1A06 easier ? I am basically looking for an easy elective ! Thanks
Old 06-12-2011 at 06:08 PM   #2
Sevan

Liked: 28 Times

It all depends what you're interested in. My social work prof. last year said it wasn't an easy elective, and I agree, even though I didn't take the course to fill in as an easy elective. Readings wise they aren't too bad. Sociology 1A06 had a lot of readings, but the material was about statistics and theories etc. In my opinion, Sociology 1A06 was easier than Social Work 1A06. Hope this helps!

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:44 PM   #3
lolabb

sociology was a lot easier then social work, only in the sense that there was a good review for sociology and it wasnt hard to catch up if you fell behind on readings.
social work was a lot of analyzing as a social worker.
it all depends what you would be most interested in i guess
Old 06-12-2011 at 11:04 PM   #4
brazil2014

ohhh okay thanks !!
Old 06-12-2011 at 11:22 PM   #5
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

i def found sociology easier A- vs. B in SW

brazil2014 says thanks to shes-a-diva* for this post.
Old 06-12-2011 at 11:41 PM   #6
brazil2014

do u knoww if COLAVECCHIA or FETNER is better ? thankss !
Old 06-13-2011 at 12:17 AM   #7
andrea.l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevan View Post
It all depends what you're interested in. My social work prof. last year said it wasn't an easy elective, and I agree, even though I didn't take the course to fill in as an easy elective. Readings wise they aren't too bad. Sociology 1A06 had a lot of readings, but the material was about statistics and theories etc. In my opinion, Sociology 1A06 was easier than Social Work 1A06. Hope this helps!
just wondering, did u get into the social work program?? (ur info thing says 1st year social work but i thought it was general 1st year social sciences??) was the application test thing hard? if u didnt get in did u choose sociology? iv heard sociology is very similiar to social work.. u seem like uve taken both classes so would u say theyre similar (ie leading to a similar career)? thanks
Old 06-13-2011 at 03:05 AM   #8
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I had sociology with Fetner and it was probably the easiest class i have taken in university. I got a 10 without doing any readings and writing papers the day before they were due and I got up and walked out of the first lecture and never went back after I heard the word podcast. Little to much on sexuality but that is fetner's field. I remember exams basically being definitions

Even though i actually got an 11 (maybe 1 of 35 A+-'s out of 450 students) in social work, that class was terrible. I hated just about everything about that class and had to suck it up and write what my TA wanted to hear even though what I was writing was a load of crap. You will have to work in this class and I doubt last years class average was better than 70%.

The course content is one thing but for me the prof was virtually intolerable. It might have just been me but i often left this class angry and made to feel like the worlds problems were my fault. I still think half the content taught is assbackwards and completely ignored logical reasons behind facts and statistics in exchage for another reason to hate white men.

brazil2014 says thanks to darkstar for this post.

brazil2014 likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:40 AM   #9
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea.l View Post
just wondering, did u get into the social work program?? (ur info thing says 1st year social work but i thought it was general 1st year social sciences??) was the application test thing hard? if u didnt get in did u choose sociology? iv heard sociology is very similiar to social work.. u seem like uve taken both classes so would u say theyre similar (ie leading to a similar career)? thanks
I'm in the BA/BSW program, doing my BA in sociology. The first year courses are very similar, sociology is more theoretical, while social work is more practical. The programs themselves are very different, sociology is the study of society and social structures. Social work is a profession that is dedicated to the pursuit of social justice. In my social work courses I have to use psychology, sociology, anthropology, economics, and political science. Mac's program has an emphasis on oppression and how social institutions cause personal problems. Upon graduation you can register with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers and you'll be able to practice social work. So if you just did sociology, you could look for similar jobs, but you would not be able to call yourself a social worker.

The admissions test is difficult as it is meant to see if you are suited for the profession. If you take intro social work you'll be at an advantage as opposed to those who have just taken sociology. The first question usually asks you about a social issue and what social workers can do to assist people experiencing the issue. The second one looks at your personal reasons about why you want to be a social worker, if you have any volunteer or work experience you can talk about it in here too. The final question is a case study and you would talk about what you need to do as a social worker to help the person in the case.

tl;dr version: social work r00lz, but it's hard to get into (250 ppl applied when I did, 45 ppl get into the BA/BSW, 25 into the BSW second degree)

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

brazil2014 says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

brazil2014, sinthusized like this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:09 AM   #10
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

sociology 1a06 is a fairly easy course. a lot of the theory in it is common sense.

brazil2014 says thanks to ...?! for this post.

brazil2014 likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:25 AM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil2014 View Post
do u knoww if COLAVECCHIA or FETNER is better ? thankss !
colavecchia was also a pretty good lecturer - it was a very user friendly course.

brazil2014 says thanks to sinthusized for this post.

brazil2014 likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:34 AM   #12
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I actually hated SOCIO 1A06 and absolutely LOVED SOC WORK 1A06. I found social work to be far easier and much better content as compared to sociology where it was all theory. I had Colavecchia for sociology and I do admit she is a great prof but I still enjoyed Sandra Preston for social work far more.

brazil2014 says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.

brazil2014 likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:34 PM   #13
brazil2014

i see, im still debating whether to pick COLAVECCHIA or FETNER , but they both sound nice ! thanks
Old 06-13-2011 at 02:40 PM   #14
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

i had colevecchia and i liked her except i found her voice to be very tiring to listen to because she would give too many examples for the theories and she talked to the class as if we were all children IMO. I would leave lecture early most times because I found my TA would do a thorough enough job of explaining the material (which I had before lecture) so I definitely couldnt stand 3 back to back hours of sociology every week.

I did find sociology to be a bit boring, very dry - but I also found myself feeling that SW was almost common sense most of the time. My TA for SW was very vague with her expectations for the assignments and most of the time I would complete them the night before and get 70+ on them.
Old 06-14-2011 at 06:05 PM   #15
Sevan

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea.l View Post
I was first year social science, but second year you pick your major, and I applied for the School of Social Work. Unfortunately I did not get in this year. And yes you are right, first year is just general Social Science, to help you decide what you want to further study in. The application test was not hard, you don't really have to study for it. It basically depends your knowledge of social work and how would come about different situations as a social worker. I did choose sociology as my Bachelor of Arts because in my opinion, it helps to understand WHY things happen in society etc etc. If you're looking to become a Social Worker, you definately need a BSW (Bachelor of Social Work), so taking Sociology might not be enough to get you there! I definately suggest applying to the School of Social Work if you're looking to get into the Social Work field! Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other inquiries!