MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology) Goce 1st Year Course Reviews 63 08-26-2015 12:04 AM
Honors Sociology Question: Sociology 3H06 tee33 Academics 0 03-24-2010 07:06 PM
bio 2z03 aa84 Academics 1 12-25-2009 04:02 PM

sociology 2Z03

sociology 2Z03
Introduction to Sociological Research
Published by sinthusized
04-22-2011
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
60%60%60%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 70%
sociology 2Z03

Mark Breakdown
Midterm = 50%
Final Exam = 50% (non cumulative)

Course Format
2 lectures and 1 optional tutorial per week. In my opinion, the lectures were very important to attend as the prof gives you hints throughout the course for what to expect on the exam. A few questions were directly from the lectures. I didn't think the tutorials were very useful; I only attended the first 2. I do recommend completing the tutorial questions as practice.

Tests
Didn't like that the tests were few and worth so much, however, the tests were not too difficult if you prepared for them. The tests are essay-style and the prof will tell you what he expects. The coverage was not complete; this seemed to be to our advantage as the most familiar concepts were tested.

Instructor
The teacher is Prof. Budros. I thought he was an interesting and funny instructor who was really enthusiastic about the material. This was appreciated as the topics would otherwise be very dry. Very clear explanations on concepts.

Text
The prof gave assigned topics to read before the test/exam and some were not discussed in class. I read the chapters just before the tests. Also, the edition doesn't really matter; I had an old edition, (older than the one sold at titles) and I was fine as the content is the same.

Content Interest
Content is rather boring at times, but, the prof does make things more interesting and tells a lot of personal stories which help you remember the content.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for sociology 2Z03!

Old 04-24-2011 at 11:05 AM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times
I took this course last year. I can say it was easily the worst course I had to take at McMaster. Budros was a mean spirited individual who had something sick against students registered with the CSD. When I gave him my accommodation letter he gave me a dirty look and said "you better book your test now!" Then when I wrote my test he forgets to pick it up from CSD. I tell him "my test is not with the others, I wrote with CSD and it's not here." He told me that it "wasn't his problem." So I talked to the TA and she luckily solved it.

The material was torturous, and I did not understand Dr. Budros' explanations whatsoever, he'd look at you and assume everyone understood it. Then you get to his tests and they were extremely unfair. He asked you to specifically recall an example he gave in class. I did not write this because it was not a concept, and assumed when you give examples you are just using them to help people understand concepts. I thought it was utter BS that he just wanted us to regurgitate information.

The only good part of this class was the tutorial, there I was able to understand the concepts, but then I got screwed over on the tests.

/end rant.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:28 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I took this course last year. I can say it was easily the worst course I had to take at McMaster. Budros was a mean spirited individual who had something sick against students registered with the CSD. When I gave him my accommodation letter he gave me a dirty look and said "you better book your test now!" Then when I wrote my test he forgets to pick it up from CSD. I tell him "my test is not with the others, I wrote with CSD and it's not here." He told me that it "wasn't his problem." So I talked to the TA and she luckily solved it.

The material was torturous, and I did not understand Dr. Budros' explanations whatsoever, he'd look at you and assume everyone understood it. Then you get to his tests and they were extremely unfair. He asked you to specifically recall an example he gave in class. I did not write this because it was not a concept, and assumed when you give examples you are just using them to help people understand concepts. I thought it was utter BS that he just wanted us to regurgitate information.

The only good part of this class was the tutorial, there I was able to understand the concepts, but then I got screwed over on the tests.

/end rant.
I heard a lot of similar reviews before I took this class. I personally had an okay experience; maybe it was just me/ maybe he 180'ed, not sure. I also heard that taking this class in the summer is a good idea because the prof who teaches it, dr young, is a stonger prof. Also, there is multiple choice style tests (which might be better depending on what your style is).
Old 04-24-2011 at 08:07 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I heard a lot of similar reviews before I took this class. I personally had an okay experience; maybe it was just me/ maybe he 180'ed, not sure. I also heard that taking this class in the summer is a good idea because the prof who teaches it, dr young, is a stonger prof. Also, there is multiple choice style tests (which might be better depending on what your style is).
Hmmmm, maybe he has gotten better, but last year was a horrible experience. That's good though that it wasn't as painful for you I had Dr. Young for sociological theory, and really wish I took 2Z03 in the summer. Dr. Young explains everything much more clearly and his tests are very fair. I remember in class when he mentioned he teaches it in the summer, everyone started complaining about how they got stuck with Budros.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)

Old 04-25-2011 at 09:10 PM   #5
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
Are the essay style questions given to you before hand to prepare or is it just short answer that you get on the day of the test? I am taking this course in the spring and I have no idea what to expect. I believe I have Young. Any reviews on Young / taking this course in the spring is appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-25-2011 at 10:17 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
Are the essay style questions given to you before hand to prepare or is it just short answer that you get on the day of the test? I am taking this course in the spring and I have no idea what to expect. I believe I have Young. Any reviews on Young / taking this course in the spring is appreciated. Thanks
I did not have Young for 2Z03, but for 2S06, Young is very clear and straightforward. You'll never have lectures as organized as his. Just write down everything he says (he speaks nice and clearly so it's easy). Just memorize your notes, and you'll be guaranteed to get a good mark. His tests are a mix of short answer and multiple choice. His short answers are straightforward, you'll most likely be asked to recall a general concept and provide an example

James CW

kimzy says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 10-19-2011 at 02:47 PM   #7
variasa

Liked: 0 Times
Hello!

I'm in 2Z03 this semester, and I have my midterm on friday. Needless to say, I'm freaking out!! Does anyone have a copy of the midterm from last year that I could use to study?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011 at 04:55 PM   #8
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
We didnt get to keep the midterm unless you have a diff prof than I did .
Quote:
Originally Posted by variasa View Post
Hello!

I'm in 2Z03 this semester, and I have my midterm on friday. Needless to say, I'm freaking out!! Does anyone have a copy of the midterm from last year that I could use to study?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013 at 07:34 PM   #9
Sevan

Liked: 28 Times
I had this class with Professor Budros last year, and almost everyone complained about him. His lectures are very dry but the material is actually interesting. The tutorials are definitely helpful, even though they aren't mandatory I highly suggest going to tutorials. Didn't like the marking scheme- 50% final and 50% midterm. I find his grading does not make any sense when it comes to the midterm/ final (i.e. 20 marks for defining a word). The questions were really straight forward and easy to understand if you studied the material, though and I found the final a lot easier than the midterm. I ended up doing really well in this course- just go to class and definitely tutorials!

alyssarr likes this.
Old 04-15-2013 at 01:05 PM   #10
miss.wood

Liked: 1 Time
Sociology 2Z03
I attempted to take this with Budros my first year of University and hated it. I was lucky last year because it was offered in the summer with Dr. Young and it was AMAZING!!! Honestly a million times easier because he thoroughly goes threw his notes and his exam questions comes straight from the lectures. I just checked now and it is offered this summer again with him as the professor. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest sucking it up for the 2 days a week and taking it then. We had 3 students in our class that failed with Budros and came out with high C's and a B+.

Seriously, Dr. Young seems a bit dry at the beginning but he is honestly an amazing professor if you just attend his lectures.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search