MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sociology 1a06 Evening! phantasyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-27-2010 06:01 PM
Sociology 1A06 - Tutorials this week? Crooksie Academics 4 09-19-2009 11:19 AM
Sociology 1a06 - C02/t06 Blocked shaiya08 Academics 7 08-22-2008 01:13 PM
Sociology 1A06? Avneet Academics 2 07-06-2008 08:42 PM

Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)

Published by Goce
07-06-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 70%

Yes, Sociology 1a06 was taken by a close friend of mine. If you liked Grade 11/12 anthropology/sociology/psychology or the "family living course" (the same thing) than this is your cup of tea. His teacher was Catherine Swanson, she is a very kind lady, having met her myself, but she is also very dedicated to what she does. If you are taking Sociology as a bird course it wont likely work out how you thought. However, if you really enjoy the subject it will show in your grade and your experience.

Course breakdown:
2 M/C tests at 15% each
Research Final Paper 25%
Final Exam 30%
Class Participation via a "clicker" 7%
Tutorial Participationvia 8%

The tests are high school style in that they have m/c, t/f, s/a, essay. This is somewhat unique as most courses will either be m/c or s/a and essay.

Afzal, daisy all say thanks to Goce for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)!

Old 07-10-2008 at 03:54 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Sociology! <3
By 'family living course', did you mean the Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society course? I absolutely adored that course.
Old 07-10-2008 at 07:35 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times
Yes I did, and I am sure it adored you as well. It was also perhaps my favourite course in high school.
Old 07-10-2008 at 10:22 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Really? That's awesome. It was weird because only a select few in the class loved it and did well. Thanks though, now I'm really looking forward to this course.

There's so many options in second year for Sociology though, blows my mind. :O

Old 07-11-2008 at 04:55 PM   #5
Goce
Elite Member

Trust me, it is much better to have a wide variety of choices than to have very minimal options. Usually the courses will pick themselves, what I mean by this is that there will be a certain stream/section of sociology most interesting and you will take most of those courses.

Here, take a look at this link:

http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/soci...uate/index.cfm

Scroll down to fields and you will find the 3 types that are at Mac. There is likely another link showing you which courses are under each specialty. A lot of the times, it is pretty obvious which is which. As well, you could talk to someone (prof, counsellor, students) about which fits where.

Hope this helps!

Btw, you have a very beautiful name.

daisy says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 07-11-2008 at 06:14 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Aww, thanks. My name is actually Feona, and my middle name Terese. But sometimes my mother calls me Feonateresa, or my friends call me Teresa. Not sure why hehe.

Oh boy, off topic =D. Thanks for that link, it's really helpful. Although, I'm sure the first year course helps you to decide your interests. I guess most first year courses are like that, huh? Are you taking one of the Sociology courses next year, or actually, what year are you in? ;P
Old 07-12-2008 at 06:52 PM   #7
Goce
Elite Member

yeah, all first years are sample courses. They give you a little taste of everything, which let's you decide where and what you'd like to do later on. I am in second year and unfortunately won't be taking Sociology this year, next year I plan to take one of my electives in it though. You will enjoy yourself with it, I regret not taking it, but theres only so much one person can do. I want to do everything, lol, but time won't allow it. It's great to have you in Social Sciences. Perhaps you may think about taking communication studies 1a03. It would be a perfect compliment to sociology. Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2009 at 06:13 PM   #8
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times
Definitely the class to take if you are looking for a mark booster.

Took this full year course with Dr. Behnke-Cook in 08-09.

Breakdown:
Midterm - 15% (40 M/C)
Final - 25% (80 M/C)
Midterm - 15% (40 M/C)
Final - 30% (85 M/C)
Tutorial - 15% (Attendance, Participation and A/V presentation)
BONUS 5% quiz in tutorial.

Uses slides and WebCT, lectures directly from slides. Text is easily to read and only real key to success.

Dr. Behnke-Cook is a great woman with lots of world experience. Only went to about half the lectures and still pulled off a 12.

daisy, macdan all say thanks to eleduc for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 04:13 PM   #9
fuzzyskittle

Liked: 0 Times
Why does every other SOCIOLOGY class only need ONE BOOK, and the Prof. FETNER requires us to have THREE BOOKS?
Old 08-18-2009 at 04:58 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyskittle View Post
Why does every other SOCIOLOGY class only need ONE BOOK, and the Prof. FETNER requires us to have THREE BOOKS?
Haha, I asked myself that same question last year. I'm pretty sure one of the books is one that she wrote (*coughwantsmoneycoug h*). Different professors depending on the class will have different course materials.
Old 08-20-2009 at 01:54 PM   #11
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time
would you say its easy to get above say.. an 8 in this course?

I've never taken anthro/family courses in high school so I have no background in it. In fact, I wanted to take psych but it was full so I restored to this.

I know its about society and how society works.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:14 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post

I've never taken anthro/family courses in high school so I have no background in it. In fact, I wanted to take psych but it was full so I restored to this.

Hmm, it's easy to get 10 or 11 in this course. You just have to do well on the assignments, and you don't necessarily need a highschool background in sociology, but it does help a lot. Just keep up with the lectures and start thinking critically, it becomes vital.
Old 08-23-2009 at 08:06 PM   #13
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyskittle View Post
I didn't even buy the Fetner book. I found it completely useless. There was only ONE question from the exam about that book. So I'd advice to not buy it and just read it at the library. The brown book (forgot what's it called) isn't really required. I think there were 3 questions about it from the midterm exam, but they were pretty straightforward if you're good with grammar. I would just buy the main text.

PS: Fetner's statistics lectures are never on the exams. Don't even bother taking notes because all you need is in the text and her lectures are quite generalized.

I found that the prof tends to ramble on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post

Feona is right. It's easy to attain a nice mark in this course. I never took anthing like it at high school and I also hated it with a passion. Somehow... I ended up with a good mark, 12. The exams are M/C (memorizing skills are tested) and assignments were easy as I am strong in writing (always have a good idea and flow about what to write about).

Last edited by Sync : 08-23-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2009 at 07:29 AM   #14
jujumiste

Liked: Liked 6 Times
For anyone who has taken this course, is "Society in Question" used at all? Because it seems no one is selling it (so I'm assuming no one bought it).

Thanks
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:48 AM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

It might be because that textbook wasn't used last year, or the year before even. Someone asked me if I had it, but we didn't use that one last year.

jujumiste says thanks to feonateresa for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search