MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sociology 1a06 Evening! phantasyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-27-2010 06:01 PM
Sociology 1A06 - Tutorials this week? Crooksie Academics 4 09-19-2009 11:19 AM
Sociology 1a06 - C02/t06 Blocked shaiya08 Academics 7 08-22-2008 01:13 PM
Sociology 1A06? Avneet Academics 2 07-06-2008 08:42 PM

Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)

Old 07-06-2008 at 08:41 PM   #31
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)
Yes, Sociology 1a06 was taken by a close friend of mine. If you liked Grade 11/12 anthropology/sociology/psychology or the "family living course" (the same thing) than this is your cup of tea. His teacher was Catherine Swanson, she is a very kind lady, having met her myself, but she is also very...

all say thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 06-29-2010 at 12:33 AM   #30
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIpolice View Post
im thinking of taking this course as an elective for 1st year. btw... is the workload heavy?
I am taking it in the summer right now and it seems pretty light so far.
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:23 PM   #31
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
I took it in 08-09 and the workload was fair, we had a couple essays, multiple choice exams, and lots of readings. If you have Dr. Fetner, she records all of her lectures (slides & her lecturing) but you get marks for being in class through the use of a iclicker (it's a little device that you use to answer questions).
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:13 PM   #32
merc67

Liked: 17 Times
i had colveccechia (cannot respell her name for her research paper if you really read and followed the guidelines you were golden got at least a 70, but with the participation my TA you actually had to participate other TA's didn't care, gave u the mark if u showed up at least that's what i've heard.
Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2010 at 02:13 AM   #33
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
review
Sociology 1A06 Review

I took sociology 1a06 in the spring/summer term with Sandra Colavecchia.

I really enjoyed this course and would recommend it to everybody. I thought the content was very interesting and the stuff that was taught was useful to know. At the same time, the topics were very easy to understand because they are very familiar. I also thought the prof was great; the lectures were very straightforward and the prof also uses many relevant examples in her lectures. The prof also frequently opens the class for discussion often without allowing things to get too far from topic to keep things lively. She is also very approachable as well.

The marks for this class were based on four non-cumulative tests each weighing 25% of your mark. The first and third tests were all multiple choice and the second and fourth tests had multiple choice as well as an option for long answer questions. The prof is also good with preparing students for tests in terms of having a review before each test as well as providing questions in class (and a lot of these ones are on the tests).

Overall Rating = 9/10
Professor Rating = 9/10
Interest = 9/10
Easiness = 8.5/10

Last edited by sinthusized : 08-08-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-08-2010 at 06:05 AM   #34
RonPrice

Liked: 16 Times
Studying sociology as I did back in the years 1963 to 1966 has been of great use in my understanding of society in the last 40 years. I write the following influenced as I was by one of its many theorists.-Ron Price, Tasmania
--------------------------------

MORE THAN A TRACE

Zygmunt Bauman, one of the leading sociologists at the turn of the millennium, wrote in his book In Search of Politics(Polity Press 1999(1988), p.54) that "sufferings which we tend to experience most of the time do not unite their victims. Our sufferings divide and isolate: our miseries set us apart, tearing up the delicate tissue of human solidarities." In the Baha'i community, as a pioneer in isolated localities, in small and large groups I have found this to be only partly true during these forty years 'on the road,' so to speak. "Belief in the collective destiny and purpose of the social whole," Bauman continues, gives meaning to our "life-pursuits."

Being part of a global collectivity with highly specific goals, purposes and a sense of destiny has not only given meaning to my life-pursuits but it has tended to unite me with my fellows even when isolated from them. It also gives me a special sense of consecrated joy; the consecration comes from the difficulties endured. Although these difficulties seem to tear that "delicate tissue" that Bauman refers to, they also provide some of that cord which binds. -Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 29 July 2002 and updated for MacInsiders on 8/8/'10.

Often it was largely in my head...
that tissue of solidarity, especially

in Frobisher Bay, Whyalla or Zeehan,
on the edge of a universe in those
remote places in planetized culture.

But always, they visited me when I

was sick, somehow they were always

there, but they left me alone, too, for
solitude is as important as community.

For this is a polity which gives you lots

of space when you need it and, if not,

you can go and get it because there's

so much out there in these vast and
spacious lands after uni graduation.

Life is no mere sequence of those
instantaneous experiences without
a trace left behind. Here is a trace

with my inscription of lived time on

astronomical time. This is no singular,

self-same identify, no shared and no
common ancestral, historical, self. A

fractured and fragmented being spread
across two continents and four epochs,
cutting events out of flow turning grief

into lamentation and lamentation into praise
and all this after taking sociology 1a6!!!
For there is a life after university, indeed,
that life is long, stony and tortuous and
you need all the understanding you can get.

See ibid., p.165.

Ron Price

29 July 2002
Updated for:
MacInsiders on 8/8/'10

Old 08-10-2010 at 01:22 PM   #35
san38

Liked: Liked 4 Times
has anyone had neiterman for prof?
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:09 PM   #36
Goran

Liked: 43 Times
Yeah, I'm wondering about Neiterman too. I hope he/she isn't too hard...
Old 09-08-2010 at 05:20 PM   #37
thurca.s

Liked: 0 Times
i think you only need new society. a lot of the info in society in question was told to us in the tutorial so if u go to it and listen then u don't need the textbook
Old 09-08-2010 at 11:47 PM   #38
7upp

enjoyed this class a lot! I took it in the summer with Dr. Joannisse. Do consider it!
Old 10-04-2010 at 07:16 PM   #39
sissi7

Liked: 1 Time
anyone from previous yr still have his/her notes from tutorial? My friend told me that there gonna be 10 out of 80 MC questions on the test came from tutorial. my TA was like talking about the question at last 5 minutes for the first tutorial...awww...i didn't have time to take notes. so, if anyone have the notes, plz pm me!! i would be very appreciated!!
Old 01-02-2011 at 10:44 AM   #40
LC20

What is a "clicker"?
Old 04-16-2011 at 06:08 PM   #41
ajaswal

really good!
Old 04-16-2011 at 06:10 PM   #42
ajaswal

the clicker was used in class to take polls and attendance but a lot of prof's stopped using it
Old 04-25-2011 at 08:59 PM   #43
jitto92

I am in Eng and i took this as a elective. I was definitely a laid back course, the concept of most of the topics were easy to understand. To be honest, you don't need to put in too much work to do well in this course , just do the readings. The best thing about this course for me was the podcasts, i never showed up to class, i just downloaded the podcasts and listed to them on my way to and from school
Old 04-25-2011 at 09:59 PM   #44
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times
Even the readings are largely unnecessary. This course could be passed using common sense.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search