MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sociology 1a06 Evening! phantasyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-27-2010 06:01 PM
Sociology 1A06 - Tutorials this week? Crooksie Academics 4 09-19-2009 11:19 AM
Sociology 1a06 - C02/t06 Blocked shaiya08 Academics 7 08-22-2008 01:13 PM
Sociology 1A06? Avneet Academics 2 07-06-2008 08:42 PM

Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)

Old 07-06-2008 at 08:41 PM   #46
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Sociology 1A06 (Intro to Sociology)
Yes, Sociology 1a06 was taken by a close friend of mine. If you liked Grade 11/12 anthropology/sociology/psychology or the "family living course" (the same thing) than this is your cup of tea. His teacher was Catherine Swanson, she is a very kind lady, having met her myself, but she is also very...

all say thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 04-26-2011 at 12:41 AM   #45
Malka

Liked: 10 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san38 View Post
has anyone had neiterman for prof?
Hey i had Miss Neiterman this year and she is a great professor. Her style of testing is different compared to other profs our midterm and final consisted of 20 multiple choice 10 true/false and 2 short answers 5 marks each, we are suppose to write about a page for each question. She uses iclicker in class and there are 2 written assignments in the course as well. First one for us was about discussing one of our personal experience and then do a sociological analysis using the material we had learned so far. And second assignment is a research paper. You should definitely take this course with Neiterman in summer. i am not sure though if the prof would keep the course evaluations similar to this years course or change them.

Hope it helps.
Take Care
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:48 PM   #46
jitto92

Liked: 0 Times
I took this as an elective in first year. I found it pretty easy, a lot of the questions on the exam required only common sense, however it doesn't hurt to do the readings. The thing i loved most about this course was the pod casts, I only went for 5 lectures during the entire course but I had all the material I needed to do well...mehn I love pod casts, I wish we had them for all courses esp those 8.30am ones on friday.
PS: I still have the text books for this course (Both) and I am willing to sell them at a ridiculously low price , anyone interested should send me a private message or something

Last edited by jitto92 : 07-29-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:49 PM   #47
iriss

i didnt take sociology in highschool, but took soc 1a06 last year and it was great. the course load wasn't too heavy and it was easy. defintly recommend it as a bird course
Old 08-24-2011 at 02:50 PM   #48
bcollura

Liked: 1 Time
This course is really great but you`re not going to find too much depth into the family stuff, just remember as a first year course its going to be really general and repetitive from high school
Old 09-06-2011 at 06:03 PM   #49
k.ellis

soc 1A06 is a challenging course you need to read the text books and pay attention to detail. you also need to be able to relate the four sociological theories to any topic covered. If you try hard and do the work you will do well.
Old 09-06-2011 at 07:16 PM   #50
Goran

Liked: 43 Times
If you're looking for an easy A, this is it. Follow instructions on the assignments and look over the prof's notes before exams and you're pretty much set.

DONT BUY THE SMALLER ORANGE BOOK, IT'S USELESS.

The actual textbook is also not needed if the prof has good lecture notes (Dr. Neitherman summerized her notes from the text so I never bothered wasting time reading it).
Old 09-15-2011 at 07:55 AM   #51
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times
Basically if you go to class and read the Compass book you're set. The other book (Sociology in Question) is basically just interesting case studies.
Old 09-16-2011 at 02:56 PM   #52
maus

Liked: 1 Time
I'm confused which text books I need. I accidentally bought three- Society in Question, New Society, and Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. I feel like I don't need the last one at all, IDK why they were selling it in Titles? And Society in Question only if I feel like for extra stuff.
Old 05-22-2012 at 08:23 AM   #53
awong

I would recommend taking Sociology 1A06 just so you could take Sociology 2C06: Deviant Behaviour. I took this class in 2nd year and you cover a lot of interesting topics such as: tattoos, nudists, sexuality, etc. Also if you have Dr. Dorothy Pawluch, she's the Chair of Sociology and such a nice lady and great prof!
Old 09-10-2012 at 09:00 AM   #54
Clarty

It was a good course, but it was pretty easy.
I had Fetner and for the exam, I read the glossary and some of the chapters a couple times a few days before the exam and got a B
Old 09-10-2012 at 04:33 PM   #55
iris.miao

thanks alot for the information!
Old 09-11-2012 at 07:13 PM   #56
Skeik

Great course to take as an elective
Old 09-14-2012 at 12:44 PM   #57
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times
easy 10, but with the right TA!

Old 09-26-2012 at 01:38 AM   #58
mcsubliminal

Great course, interesting
Old 11-16-2012 at 06:32 PM   #59
natlegz

I have this course right now with Colavecchia. One thing I am having challenges with is keeping up with the readings as their are quite a few ... I'm already quite behind. We've had 2 quizzes so far and I got a 63 on the first one and just had my 2nd which I didn't prepare for well enough and probably did bad on. My biggest fault is not keeping up with the readings. The class is interesting but Colavecchia's quizzes are pretty tricky i've found. I definitely need to start doing the readings more and pay attention to detail. And yes, knowing the 4 theories is useful as she asks questions on the quizzes regarding the 4 theories and using them in different contexts. Definitely a more challenging class than I had anticipated.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search