Hedden - Introduce yourself! Chad Hedden Hall Forum 108 08-08-2012 10:13 AM
Introduce Yourself! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-08-2010 03:41 PM

SOCS - Introduce yourself!

Old 07-15-2010 at 12:59 AM   #1
cory_1991

Liked: 5 Times

SOCS - Introduce yourself!
Hey guys,

I felt a bit left out reading all the posts and threads about people in residence and what residence they are staying in so I decided to make a post for commuters.
Leave a post to say hey and introduce yourself if you like. You can introduce the program your in or you can even just say how long your commute to Mac is!

Im Cory from Burlington, Ontario. I'm in the Humainites I program, I'm focusing on History and I have about a 10 minute commute from my home to Mac.

Enjoy!

Cory

Last edited by cory_1991 : 07-15-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Old 07-15-2010 at 01:40 AM   #2
ryanh24

Liked: 0 Times

Good idea Cory!

I'm also from Burington (Carpool?), and I too am jealous (sort of, the fact that my mom does my laundry is a bonus) of the people staying in rez. Oh well.
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:12 AM   #3
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

This is a good idea! I'm also commuting from home (not Burlington though, a little farther away, probably 20 - 25 minutes), and I was kinda worried that I'd miss out on certain things because I wasn't staying on res. And ryanh24, you're lucky that your mom still does your laundry! Mine decided that I had to start doing my own a couple of weeks ago, haha. >.< Anyways, I'll be going into Kinesiology I after much debate over trying to decide what program I wanted to go into and I'm super excited!
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:28 AM   #4
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Great idea, Cory =)

My name's Tatjana and I'll be going into Life Sci. I'm about a 45 minute bus ride to campus or about a 10-15 minute car ride.
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:33 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

eek! You guys got me all excited! You're going to have a blast with SOCS! If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them! Welcome Week is always a blast, and SOCS is still a blast throughout the year! We have tons of amazing events, starting with Sunday Sunday Sunday after Welcome Week ends (ask a rep about it!), Pub nights, acoustic nights, Halloween pub, FYAO camping, cooking classes, one of the best formals on campus, spirit pub, end of the year pub, and a whole lot more! Plus we're really the only group that takes Frost Week seriously (first week of Winter term).

And a SOCS membership is only $5 during Welcome Week! (It goes up to like $20 afterward). You also get to play on all our intermural sports (we took home 3 championships last year), and access to tons of deals.

A lot of the events you don't need to be a member to participate, but some of the ones where you have to buy a ticket (formal, halloween pub) are a lot cheaper for members (formal was like $15 cheaper last year).

Make sure to come get involved throughout the year, even if you aren't participating in Welcome Week! I think most of the SOCS events still require a MacPass, but you can still get the cheaper membership and join the peer mentoring program without it.

Also, I'll shamelessly link to my own article, just because it gives more info about that:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...r+ex perience

You'll have so much fun!

PS: My name is Andrew, and I'll be living in a student house in Westdale this year.

Caleb, mlangille like this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:04 AM   #6
Caleb

I am sooo excited as well!!! First year as a rep =D

Also, I agree, Join SOCS! Get your membership! It's well worth it!
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:06 AM   #7
Myoch

Liked: 2 Times

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SOCS?
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:08 AM   #8
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
This is a good idea! I'm also commuting from home (not Burlington though, a little farther away, probably 20 - 25 minutes), and I was kinda worried that I'd miss out on certain things because I wasn't staying on res. And ryanh24, you're lucky that your mom still does your laundry! Mine decided that I had to start doing my own a couple of weeks ago, haha. >.< Anyways, I'll be going into Kinesiology I after much debate over trying to decide what program I wanted to go into and I'm super excited!
Hey thanks for the post 20 minutes isn't that bad really. And don't worry, I know if you join SOCS (Im joining on Welcome Day and it costs $5 last time I heard, just so you know) they will keep us updated with all the events. Or if you have facebook you can keep updated there Anyway, have fun in Kinesiology and maybe I'll see you around campus.

Cory

PS: I do my own laundry but I sometimes get the meals made for me
Commuting will be fun.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:11 AM   #9
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoch View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is SOCS?
Its the Society of Off-Campus Students

Its for those who aren't living in residence and who commute to McMaster each day.
I decided to make this thread so those people can introduce themselves here a bit and they won't feel so left out.

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:12 AM   #10
Myoch

Liked: 2 Times

Gotcha, thank you
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:15 AM   #11
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatski-p View Post
Great idea, Cory =)

My name's Tatjana and I'll be going into Life Sci. I'm about a 45 minute bus ride to campus or about a 10-15 minute car ride.
Hey thanks for the post! I have thought about taking the bus to Mac but I decided it's only really for emergencies. I'm looking at carpooling or something but 10-15 minutes is an okay drive
And congrats on getting into LifeSci!

Cory
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:17 AM   #12
Caleb

Socs also runs many amazing events all year round, most of which you get discounts for having a membership. It's amazing fun and a great community to be a part of.

I am from the east mountain in Hamilton. I bet it takes me longer to get to school than you burlingtonians
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:19 AM   #13
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I am sooo excited as well!!! First year as a rep =D

Also, I agree, Join SOCS! Get your membership! It's well worth it!
I know I'm joing SOCS on Welcome Day I was just curious how do you get to be a "first year rep"?
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:21 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_1991 View Post
I know I'm joing SOCS on Welcome Day I was just curious how do you get to be a "first year rep"?
There are applications that will be available during the year. I believe you have to go through an audition process too.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:23 AM   #15
cory_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
PS: My name is Andrew, and I'll be living in a student house in Westdale this year.
Hey Andrew thanks so much for the reply. I have heard a bit of information about SOCS but if there are any questions I have or someone has any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

PS: How much is it costing you for your house in Westdale?